Best clutch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guinnessdublin

Have sorted my savage electrics out now after 14yrs of non-use with new battery hump in place & servo choice decided. Was going to go for a Hong Nor Force .28 nitro engine & a new clutch fitted. Did think to reuse my 3 clutch shoe set up but see they do a 4 clutch set up now, what are you people using?

Attachments

• 1578769677963.jpeg
    1578769677963.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 14
Found this today after finding my Original Savage 21 manual! ??

Attachments

• C4AB7E54-5E64-4E20-95C9-70AB54C7BA73.jpeg
    C4AB7E54-5E64-4E20-95C9-70AB54C7BA73.jpeg
    355.4 KB · Views: 26
I'm running 16/47 on mine. All robinson racing
Same gearing on mine with an LRP30S2 in it and alloy shoes. I had geared down a bit to run trencher 3.8's on it, but didn't like them on there, then threw a set of traxxas revo 3.8 talons on it and they are too small and it was geared too low. Was really wheelie happy and I snapped a rear center dog bone and rear center cvd during the same bash session trying to get the engine tuned.

Now I have a set of traxxas 3.8 t-maxx wheels/tires on it, so the gearing should be fine for that.

Tires play a big part on gearing.

Yes totally correct with size/weight of tyres playing a part on performance of truck as well!
I have been tempted to buy cheap Chinese wheels & tyres in past but just keep to known RC brands!

I really like the Fioroni turbo slider clutches that you can still get from Fioroni themselves or Amain etc. They're virtually maintenance free and give very consistent results if you use the Carbon shoes with 2 springs.

I use mine with an STS.30 running 19/47 gearing on a Robinson Racing steel spur.

Ps - it's over 10 years old. Still in production - I rest my case! Lol!

Attachments

• STS D.30 1.JPG
    STS D.30 1.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 16
Yes I have used the sliding clutch set up in past, in fact found some still in packet the other day while go through my savage spares.
If I remember right though found the shoes didn’t last half as long as the aluminium 3 shoe set up!

Yes I have used the sliding clutch set up in past, in fact found some still in packet the other day while go through my savage spares.
If I remember right though found the shoes didn’t last half as long as the aluminium 3 shoe set up!

My original shoes are still going strong. With the STS.30. Not sure anyone could make a set of aluminium shoes last that long!

I guess it depends what kind of feel you want from your throttle. I came from an electric background and like a nice, smooth linear and progressive response with my clutch, rather than an on/off switch!

Alloy shoes need to be de-burred frequently, but many racers prefer the 'pop' they get from the 4 shoe setups.

You get a lot of contact area with the slider clutches and less moving parts.

I'm running a 3 shoe alloy setup in my XT8 2017 and it's been OK for about 10 tanks of fuel, but I have a Fioroni slider waiting in the wings for that as well!

Took my engine out today, gave it the once over & replaced c/b bearing. Low & behold found I had the Fioroni sliding clutch fitted, I must of clearly forgot how good they were!
Are they still made & nothing came up on search ?

Took my engine out today, gave it the once over & replaced c/b bearing. Low & behold found I had the Fioroni sliding clutch fitted, I must of clearly forgot how good they were!
Are they still made & nothing came up on search ?

They are still made - Amain sell them or you can get them direct from Fioroni.

I find it difficult to fault them. From a longevity point of view, nothing else comes close.

You can see my full restore here:

Savage Restore

Can you please provide link for Fioroni shoes to buy from them direct as when I looked in e-shop could not see them & could not change language!
Many Thanks

Yes cheers got that far & when you go on e-shop can’t see how you change language, Amains site saying there discontinued now! ??

Forgot to ask Horatio (or anyone else) when using the fioroni clutch how many springs do you use all three or two, was out today trying to start tuning my new engine & suspect a spring has come loose as I can hear something rattle in c/b with having to give it loads of throttle before it even starts to move forward!

Took engine out today to see what’s up & found the fly wheel nut loose & this is the rattle noise I could hear, shoes/springs were fine. Digging out fitting instructions on hear see the f/wheel nut has to be fitted a certain way & guess what I fitted it the wrong way round!

Have sorted my savage electrics out now after 14yrs of non-use with new battery hump in place & servo choice decided. Was going to go for a Hong Nor Force .28 nitro engine & a new clutch fitted. Did think to reuse my 3 clutch shoe set up but see they do a 4 clutch set up now, what are you people using?
On my X4.6 I use the hardened steel 16 tooth HPI clutch bell with the HPI plastic 49 tooth spur gear. I still run the stock nylon shoes cause I bought 5 sets of them when I bought the car and haven’t even worn through my second set yet !! But with the 16/49 set up it’s an absolute torque monster!

Attachments

• 06D8B9F0-9A1D-448E-BADE-270A15695AF6.jpeg
    06D8B9F0-9A1D-448E-BADE-270A15695AF6.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 1
On my X4.6 I use the hardened steel 16 tooth HPI clutch bell with the HPI plastic 49 tooth spur gear. I still run the stock nylon shoes cause I bought 5 sets of them when I bought the car and haven’t even worn through my second set yet !! But with the 16/49 set up it’s an absolute torque monster!

My Savage has been gradually upgraded, initially just to help it race more effectively. Now after the restore, it's been radically upgraded. Certain things haven't changed though - the STS. 30, the 19/47 gearing, 3 speed transmission, 40 series on 23mm hubs and..... the invincible Fioroni Turbo Slider.

I have an Xray XT8 17, that was using a 3 shoe aluminium clutch. It worked, but it required regular maintenance, generated heat, had a tendency for the springs to slip of the nut, resulting in the shoes migrating up the pins and into the clutchbell. So, it was time to fit a Turbo Slider.

Note that only the Twin Turbo Slider gives you the option to use 3 springs, as well as 3 different types of shoe.

Note that the Turbo Slider has approximately 3 x more contact area than a 3 or 4 shoe clutch. In a MT, you simply don't need to worry about adjusting the clutch. But what everyone wants is a clutch that works, has plenty of bite, 100% dependable, light, efficient, virtually zero maintenance, easy on bearings.

One chap here had actually forgotten he had one fitted. Quite literally a case of fit and forget!

Attachments

• IMG_20200417_142921.jpg
    IMG_20200417_142921.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200417_153615.jpg
    IMG_20200417_153615.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 16
Here's a couple of pictures of the 16 year old Savage. :D

Attachments

• IMG_20200130_153959.jpg
    IMG_20200130_153959.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200410_143927.jpg
    IMG_20200410_143927.jpg
    861.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200410_163522.jpg
    IMG_20200410_163522.jpg
    639.7 KB · Views: 12
My Savage has been gradually upgraded, initially just to help it race more effectively. Now after the restore, it's been radically upgraded. Certain things haven't changed though - the STS. 30, the 19/47 gearing, 3 speed transmission, 40 series on 23mm hubs and..... the invincible Fioroni Turbo Slider.

I have an Xray XT8 17, that was using a 3 shoe aluminium clutch. It worked, but it required regular maintenance, generated heat, had a tendency for the springs to slip of the nut, resulting in the shoes migrating up the pins and into the clutchbell. So, it was time to fit a Turbo Slider.

Note that only the Twin Turbo Slider gives you the option to use 3 springs, as well as 3 different types of shoe.

Note that the Turbo Slider has approximately 3 x more contact area than a 3 or 4 shoe clutch. In a MT, you simply don't need to worry about adjusting the clutch. But what everyone wants is a clutch that works, has plenty of bite, 100% dependable, light, efficient, virtually zero maintenance, easy on bearings.

One chap here had actually forgotten he had one fitted. Quite literally a case of fit and forget!
I want to get one of those for my Savage and also for my Tmaxx that’s running a .28 OS motor. Any suggestions on what brand to get? Also do you happen to know the size of the bearing for the clutch bell ?

I want to get one of those for my Savage and also for my Tmaxx that’s running a .28 OS motor. Any suggestions on what brand to get? Also do you happen to know the size of the bearing for the clutch bell ?

The clutch shown here is the Fioroni Turbo Slider. All you need are the 2 parts - the Turbo Slider Carbon shoes with springs, and the Fioroni Slider Flywheel with nut. The clutches are available from Fioroni directly, or from numerous places in the USA. Check the links above.

It works with regular clutchbells, so regular bearings are 5x10x4, I highly recommend RC Answer bearings - they're red/rubber seals on the outside, low friction metal shields on the inside. They're not expensive and will last forever with the Turbo Slider clutch anyway!

The clutch shown here is the Fioroni Turbo Slider. All you need are the 2 parts - the Turbo Slider Carbon shoes with springs, and the Fioroni Slider Flywheel with nut. The clutches are available from Fioroni directly, or from numerous places in the USA. Check the links above.

It works with regular clutchbells, so regular bearings are 5x10x4, I highly recommend RC Answer bearings - they're red/rubber seals on the outside, low friction metal shields on the inside. They're not expensive and will last forever with the Turbo Slider clutch anyway!
Awesome!! Thanks for the info !

Awesome!! Thanks for the info !

Over on RCTech, we were talking about Savage clutchbells and HaulinBass highlighted these, that use larger bearings.

5x12x4 Clutchbell by Protek.

Liking the larger bearing sizes, especially for MT. Using the Fioroni Turbo Slider, the regular bearings will last forever anyway. Those still using conventional 3 & 4 shoe setups should find the larger bearings last longer than the 4x10x5's.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back