Premium members don't see ads. Clickhereto upgrade.

Best clutch

Have sorted my savage electrics out now after 14yrs of non-use with new battery hump in place & servo choice decided. Was going to go for a Hong Nor Force .28 nitro engine & a new clutch fitted. Did think to reuse my 3 clutch shoe set up but see they do a 4 clutch set up now, what are you people using?

Attachments

olds97_lss

I'm running 16/47 on mine. All robinson racing
Same gearing on mine with an LRP30S2 in it and alloy shoes. I had geared down a bit to run trencher 3.8's on it, but didn't like them on there, then threw a set of traxxas revo 3.8 talons on it and they are too small and it was geared too low. Was really wheelie happy and I snapped a rear center dog bone and rear center cvd during the same bash session trying to get the engine tuned.

Now I have a set of traxxas 3.8 t-maxx wheels/tires on it, so the gearing should be fine for that.

Tires play a big part on gearing.

Yes totally correct with size/weight of tyres playing a part on performance of truck as well!
I have been tempted to buy cheap Chinese wheels & tyres in past but just keep to known RC brands!

Horatio

I really like the Fioroni turbo slider clutches that you can still get from Fioroni themselves or Amain etc. They're virtually maintenance free and give very consistent results if you use the Carbon shoes with 2 springs.

I use mine with an STS.30 running 19/47 gearing on a Robinson Racing steel spur.

Ps - it's over 10 years old. Still in production - I rest my case! Lol!

Attachments

Yes I have used the sliding clutch set up in past, in fact found some still in packet the other day while go through my savage spares.
If I remember right though found the shoes didn’t last half as long as the aluminium 3 shoe set up!

Horatio

Yes I have used the sliding clutch set up in past, in fact found some still in packet the other day while go through my savage spares.
If I remember right though found the shoes didn’t last half as long as the aluminium 3 shoe set up!
My original shoes are still going strong. With the STS.30. Not sure anyone could make a set of aluminium shoes last that long!

I guess it depends what kind of feel you want from your throttle. I came from an electric background and like a nice, smooth linear and progressive response with my clutch, rather than an on/off switch!

Alloy shoes need to be de-burred frequently, but many racers prefer the 'pop' they get from the 4 shoe setups.

You get a lot of contact area with the slider clutches and less moving parts.

I'm running a 3 shoe alloy setup in my XT8 2017 and it's been OK for about 10 tanks of fuel, but I have a Fioroni slider waiting in the wings for that as well!