Battery Over Charge? Any battery Pros In The House?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcam54

Well I bought 2 Sanyo 2700 NiMH 5 cell hump packs.....

I decided to do a cycle discharge/recharge to break them in to see what the full potential of the batteries are. I did this twice to each pack.

I am useing a HYPERION EOS 0606I
I set up the charger to peak dection...and a discharge rate of 1.0 amps...charge rate of 0.1 amps. The chargeing took forever and a day but the packs stayed pretty much room temp and never spiked in temp from what I could tell...wasn't babysitting them the whole time, woulda had to take vacation time to do that!

The first pack registered a peak charge of 4453 capacity (supposed to b @ 2700).....the second pack was done in the same fashion but I stoped it early...it registered a peak of 3560 before I shut it down!

Now my question is what the heck happened?!?!

Did I fry my packs?

Are these really under rated cells?

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a noob to the elect/battery side of this hobby, but since I'm running huge digital servos now I needed to up the capacity in the packs to get greater run time.

Thanks for the advice/answers!

Well I bought 2 Sanyo 2700 NiMH 5 cell hump packs.....

I decided to do a cycle discharge/recharge to break them in to see what the full potential of the batteries are. I did this twice to each pack.

I am useing a HYPERION EOS 0606I
I set up the charger to peak dection...and a discharge rate of 1.0 amps...charge rate of 0.1 amps. The chargeing took forever and a day but the packs stayed pretty much room temp and never spiked in temp from what I could tell...wasn't babysitting them the whole time, woulda had to take vacation time to do that!

The first pack registered a peak charge of 4453 capacity (supposed to b @ 2700).....the second pack was done in the same fashion but I stoped it early...it registered a peak of 3560 before I shut it down!

Now my question is what the heck happened?!?!

Did I fry my packs?

Are these really under rated cells?

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a noob to the elect/battery side of this hobby, but since I'm running huge digital servos now I needed to up the capacity in the packs to get greater run time.

Thanks for the advice/answers!

Cam, ive got the same charger as you..... i put my 1200mah pack on d->c once & it was on there for a couple hours before i pulled the plug on the whole operation.
they guy you want to talk to is Chris (go to) cuz he know his chit about batteries, chargers, electrical current & all that. he told me that on the Nicd & NiMH you don't need to discharge except for the very first time that the pack is charged cuz it wont really do anything.
i printed the user manual off the hyperion site & charge my 1200mah pack at 1.2a & it takes a while, but the peak tells me about 17-1800 which i was told is okay.
i did the same thing tho, i asked bank & chris about 100 questions the first time i did it & hit the battery several times with my temp gun..
my advice: send a pm to chris & ask him, but just set your charge rate according to the mah of the pack & let it charge until the cycle stops by itself & its all good every time.... the hyp charger rocks btw doesnt it?:coolkid01:

Last edited by a moderator:
yep sure does...I talked to chris last night in the shout. Good info. Just looking for more facts.

SMC in the house?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back