Battery Over Charge? Any battery Pros In The House?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcam54

Well I bought 2 Sanyo 2700 NiMH 5 cell hump packs.....

I decided to do a cycle discharge/recharge to break them in to see what the full potential of the batteries are. I did this twice to each pack.

I am useing a HYPERION EOS 0606I
I set up the charger to peak dection...and a discharge rate of 1.0 amps...charge rate of 0.1 amps. The chargeing took forever and a day but the packs stayed pretty much room temp and never spiked in temp from what I could tell...wasn't babysitting them the whole time, woulda had to take vacation time to do that!

The first pack registered a peak charge of 4453 capacity (supposed to b @ 2700).....the second pack was done in the same fashion but I stoped it early...it registered a peak of 3560 before I shut it down!

Now my question is what the heck happened?!?!

Did I fry my packs?

Are these really under rated cells?

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a noob to the elect/battery side of this hobby, but since I'm running huge digital servos now I needed to up the capacity in the packs to get greater run time.

Thanks for the advice/answers!

Well I bought 2 Sanyo 2700 NiMH 5 cell hump packs.....

I decided to do a cycle discharge/recharge to break them in to see what the full potential of the batteries are. I did this twice to each pack.

I am useing a HYPERION EOS 0606I
I set up the charger to peak dection...and a discharge rate of 1.0 amps...charge rate of 0.1 amps. The chargeing took forever and a day but the packs stayed pretty much room temp and never spiked in temp from what I could tell...wasn't babysitting them the whole time, woulda had to take vacation time to do that!

The first pack registered a peak charge of 4453 capacity (supposed to b @ 2700).....the second pack was done in the same fashion but I stoped it early...it registered a peak of 3560 before I shut it down!

Now my question is what the heck happened?!?!

Did I fry my packs?

Are these really under rated cells?

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a noob to the elect/battery side of this hobby, but since I'm running huge digital servos now I needed to up the capacity in the packs to get greater run time.

Thanks for the advice/answers!

Cam, ive got the same charger as you..... i put my 1200mah pack on d->c once & it was on there for a couple hours before i pulled the plug on the whole operation.
they guy you want to talk to is Chris (go to) cuz he know his chit about batteries, chargers, electrical current & all that. he told me that on the Nicd & NiMH you don't need to discharge except for the very first time that the pack is charged cuz it wont really do anything.
i printed the user manual off the hyperion site & charge my 1200mah pack at 1.2a & it takes a while, but the peak tells me about 17-1800 which i was told is okay.
i did the same thing tho, i asked bank & chris about 100 questions the first time i did it & hit the battery several times with my temp gun..
my advice: send a pm to chris & ask him, but just set your charge rate according to the mah of the pack & let it charge until the cycle stops by itself & its all good every time.... the hyp charger rocks btw doesnt it?:coolkid01:

Last edited by a moderator:
yep sure does...I talked to chris last night in the shout. Good info. Just looking for more facts.

SMC in the house?

Latest posts

Members online

Back