Back in the game with a new Savage 21 build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGMat

Been away for a fair bit. Just purchased a second hand Savage 21 and am looking to put a XL 5.9 in her. Firstly, any major issues with this?

I will probably lengthen her a bit too and put a wheelie bar on. I will be dismantling the truck when it arrives and replacing anything that needs it. I may try to lose the purple, but I'll see how hard that is when shes apart.

Any upgrades /hop-ups you can recommend?

I want to build a great truck that goes like stink. Any help is welcome, and I'm not too concerned with how much this is going to cost, it just needs to be epic!!

s-l1600.jpg

@BIGMat what other upgrades are you wanting to do it it? It looks like it already has every single aluminum upgrade every made for the Savage! :D ;)

Yo
@BIGMat what other upgrades are you wanting to do it it? It looks like it already has every single aluminum upgrade every made for the Savage! :D ;)
You may have a point... ?

I want to sort the motor for something...scary.
Maybe lengthen it with an XL chassis, different fuel tank (alloy one if I can source one, or a buggy tank that fits)

I'm looking at an X or an XL roller, so basically, whatever I can do to have an amazing truck! ?

Hi.

I would ditch the 5.9 engine idea.
1.There is like no parts available, totally discontinued for years.
2. The power what you would expect from 5.9 just isnt there.
3.Price if you even find it somewhere new.

If you want to go with HPI signed engine then f4.6 v2. Cheaper, more reliable, parts available and still been manufactured.(New savage x4.6 stocks are coming with that engine)

XL chassis plates are pretty easy to come by on ebay, but rare is 3.0mm XL engine plate(Which isnt basically needed) and I struggled finding a rear dogbone.

Hi.

I would ditch the 5.9 engine idea.
1.There is like no parts available, totally discontinued for years.
2. The power what you would expect from 5.9 just isnt there.
3.Price if you even find it somewhere new.

If you want to go with HPI signed engine then f4.6 v2. Cheaper, more reliable, parts available and still been manufactured.(New savage x4.6 stocks are coming with that engine)

XL chassis plates are pretty easy to come by on ebay, but rare is 3.0mm XL engine plate(Which isnt basically needed) and I struggled finding a rear dogbone.
Some good info there. Thanks. I had a look at this, as a replacement motor.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LRP-Nitr...-/203142161136?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

I saw a thread with one of these mentioned, but there was chat about them being disco'd.

Finding tuned pipe is easy. (There are pretty good Picco and novarossi pipes at eybay pretty cheap but header that they come with don't work with savage, they are all for right side exhaustst so the curve is wrong and can use on savage)
Problem you have is all the "good" pipes are 3 spring connection so you need a new header for that. Since your using 8 shock setup you need a header thats designed only for savage.
https://thsracing.com/shop/ols/products/8020m-manifold-for-8020-8025-savage-exhaust-system
or full set
https://thsracing.com/shop/ols/products/8025-1-8-savage-25-28-engine-tuned-exhaust-system
Or if you really want performance gain then go all out. You can use stock manifold with that.
http://www.extremercmods.com/pipes

Ok, so, more news.

I have gone and bought an X as well now. It runs, but is basically stock. Can anyone recommend a tuned pipe for this in the UK?

I am assuming all the arms (upper and lower) will transfer over, and the gearboxes (front and rear) too?

I will probably end up getting a 6" rear and 6mm front extended set of TVPs from Innovative RC.

Why did you buy a savage X if your planning on buying Innovative TVP-s? I just don't see any parts you could use, if your going to use the aluminum parts from avatar truck anyway.

Why did you buy a savage X if your planning on buying Innovative TVP-s? I just don't see any parts you could use, if your going to use the aluminum parts from avatar truck anyway.
Cos it was as cheap?

There were no XL trucks about that were going for sensible money.

Bit confused by your post. Don't see any parts you could use? On what?

I am assuming that all the running gear, gearboxes, arms, blah blah... that I have in Ali on the 21 (avatar truck), will fit onto the extended chassis. Am I wrong?

Plus, extending the chassis opens the exhaust choices up.

I didnt mean to be rude in any way. I just thought that buying extended TVP-s from innovative rc, installing all the other parts from the avatar truck and you have one mean truck ready.
If your not going for wide axles (Savage XL axles and dogbones and diffcups) then buying an 1/2 offset wheels will give the extra width.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hpi-Savage-LRP-Exhaust/143942637769?hash=item2183a658c9:g:NE0AAOSwYEtgIbs7
Nice looking pipe, you can use it with stock manifold.
https://thsracing.com/shop/ols/products/8025-1-8-savage-25-28-engine-tuned-exhaust-system
Cant go wrong with THS kit.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PICCO-EFRA-3032/323472157045?hash=item4b50716975:g:TcsAAOSwZHVbrjzE (all the efra marked pipes are good but all are manufactured to fit for left side exhaust, so be ready for modifications or possibility that manifold wont fit at all)

I attached the picture to show the problem. If you use that on savage , the pipe end will be high up. (left goes to the engine, right to the pipe)

Attachments

• manifold.jpg
    manifold.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 4
I can only apologise if I came across a bit touchy. I've just read it and it came across a bit...

Anyway, some nice looking pipes there. I have the LRP on my list. He also has a carbon pipe. Any ideas on these? Do the rounder manifolds fit with the extended tvps?

I apologise. I've been out of this since my kids were around and my boy is now 14 and 6'2". He doesn't need me so much so I got another savage.

Do all the other parts fit then? That's good. I am missing an alloy center box though...

Thanks for your help.

I am planning on running it, yes. I will probably not be jumping and flipping this one, (the plan is to have a good basher too) I would imagine my skills will need a bit of refining too.

You've been a great help jabbo.

Does the triple brake fit as standard, or is there adjustment to be made...?

The X

Attachments

• s-l1600 (8).jpg
    s-l1600 (8).jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 12
  • s-l1600 (14).jpg
    s-l1600 (14).jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 12
  • s-l1600 (11).jpg
    s-l1600 (11).jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 12
Triple brakes are not better in any way. Too much moving parts and adjusting becomes a nightmare. Dual brakes or single brake is better option. If your gonna buy from innovative, then they have an upgrade brake kit as well. I haven't used it though, for me dual fibre disk set is best. Cheap to replace and works good 1-2 seasons.

About your X..if the engine is correct, then you probably have a Savage X SS. Plastic pipe don't much though..

Chassis plates look good, i would love the aluminum look better but its your truck.
I will add a picture of my old X restoration, as soon as the last parts come. Should be few weeks max.
I also ordered brand new Savage XL chassis plates with dogbone and aluminum arm set which I decided I'm not gonna be using. I was in between building shelf queen or a basher. So i couldnt decide and ordered everything for shelf savage but then decided I'm gonna bash it.

Cool, so triple breaks a no-no. My plan, as mentioned, is to do a FULL metal build. I just need the centre gearbox and radio box and that's pretty much it (there may well be a couple of other bits that I haven't spotted). I have a metal roll bar on my watch list.

I may well end up with a shelf truck if I can polish the purple out, and a stock (ish) basher. I think the tvps look really nice in the black, and they're only about a fiver more than the silver. We'll see what colour I get once I start the build properly.

Any one interested in shed loads of savage new and second hand parts and cars. Please let me know, reasonable prices. Thanks

Quick update...

I purchased the extended TVPs from Innovative RC, got the silver ones in the end. I have also gone a little potty buying other upgraded bits and pieces, silver arms, upper and lower, silver front and rear skids, adjustable top arms, front and rear bumpers, silver shocks (all 2nd hand Integy parts)

I think I've probably got enough bits to build 2 decent, mostly metal, savages now...

When the TVPs turn up, i will start the build and post some pics.

Would love to see pictures. What set did you get from Innovative?
Integy shocks are known to leak. Some fixes around the forums but don't know much.

Have been emailing Innovative RC & has been bouncing back saying unable to deliver, hope company is okay?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back