Anyone have success using Robinson Racing Hardened Clutch Bells?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InTheZone

I've had lots of success using RRP products on my old HPI Nitro RS4 2 so I was a bit surprised at what seems like poor craftsmanship and QA when I installed their hardened clutch bell on the Savage.

The issue:
-Too much play between the inner housing of the clutch bell and the bearings that fit in them.

I noticed when shimming the clutch bell and testing for play there was a lot of loose wiggle room, more than I remembered that any clutch bell should have. I had bought some new clutch bell bearings so I thought maybe they made them a little smaller than they're supposed to. Well I installed the bearings in my older clutch bells they snapped in just fine. When I spin the bell I can see the outer race of the bearing moving with it. When I put the bearings back in the RRP bell and spin it I can see that the bearing doesn't always spin because the inner hole of the clutch bell is apparently just a tad too large.

I'm not going to use this as I don't want to wear the bearings out from this excessive slop, but has anyone here successfully use a RRP hardened clutch bell where it wasn't wiggling all over the place (slightly exaggerated) after being installed? There should be some resistance when inserting bearings, it shouldn't just fall into place.

I myself as well have had bad luck with the Robinson stuff. The most successful stuff I’ve used is the stock hpi metal gears. Shim the motor right and that’s all you need

Haven't seen this before, I have a 16 and a 17 RRP bells and the bearings i have fit them both pretty good and snug...... have you contacted them about this, it could be just a bad one that got thru... I know they will want to see pics so include those with your e mail.....

I haven't had any issue with them. I run their internal trans gears on my revos and pinions on my electrics as well. I have a couple RRP bells I use.

Been running Robinson racing spur and clutch bells for over a decade without issue. Perhaps this is a recent quality issue? I don't think I've read of other complaints.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back