Anyone got one of these or know where I can get one HPI #86357

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazzman

Hi fellow Savage peps, Looking for an HPI Low Centre of Gravity Engine/Motor Plate. HPI part number #86357 or any other make of Low CG motor plate that fits the savage. I know you can modify a standard motor plate as this is what I have done but would like the real McCoy if I can get one. The fins on the bottom are not necessary as its only the cut out at the back of the plate that really matters as this is were the rear diff output cup sits and the rear drive shaft runs where the middle fin is missing. But using a standard plate means the rear mount brace has to be cut in half. This doesn't seem to be a problem but this build is still on the bench and has not been put through it's paces yet.
If you have one you don't use or know where I can source one please reply here.

HPI #86357 Low CG motor plate:
1666976135734.jpeg
1666976243219.jpeg

Modified 2.5mm standard engine plate that has been cut to accommodate the rear diff output cup, this is still fitted to a standard set of TVPs and not to the LCG ones. The LCG TVPs will drop the motor plate by 12mm causing the diff cup (not yet fitted) to fit in the cut out in the plate. This is my 1st try at this and think I maybe able to reduce the depth of the cut-out by a couple of mm to increase the amount of meat next to the upper right motor mount hole as on the original it has 3-4mm of metal and on this mock-up has about 2mm. Anyone running a savage with X TVPs will see how close everything is in this region of their truck with the motor plate braces having a curved recess having to be cut in them to give the rear dog bone clearance. The X TVPs only drop the motor plate by 7mm, the LCG ones drop it by another 5mm.
Like I said can't see why this mod won't work, and if necessary can add two more 3mm fixings to the motor plate mount where the mount has been cut in half. But again like I say the proper part wouls be nice to have.
1666976317715.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello Jam, well all I can say is WOW, as only tonight a Savage ATV cpmplete with rider came up on eBay UK for £189 + £15 postage, looked in very good condition to, sold with in an hour of going on sale.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Someone got them self a bargain, would have bought it myself if not for the fact it's 2 days till payday.

Yes indeed crazy prices asked! 😣
Morning mate, yer very cheap indeed, sold in about 30mins of being posted. Looked in really good nick too. Was surprised as the seller "annacambs" has a lot of savage parts posted, I have bought from him before but must of his parts are over priced once you factor in the postage so was really surprised at the price. If it had been listed tomorrow then I definitely would have bought it as it was a buy now sale and not an auction.

Yes mate did have a look through the listings & see your sort after over priced LCG engine plate listed with K5.9 piston/Sleeve bundle.
Still no reply from ray racing or hpi then mate?
Yes surprised the ATV was not listed for bids also, perhaps they messed up when listing it who knows!

Yes mate did have a look through the listings & see your sort after over priced LCG engine plate listed with K5.9 piston/Sleeve bundle.
Still no reply from ray racing or hpi then mate?
Yes surprised the ATV was not listed for bids also, perhaps they messed up when listing it who knows!
where did you see the LCG motor plate mate, and no reply from either nor from Innovative-RC sent him another mail asking what savage TVPs he still produces, don't know what's up with that guy. 3 mails now sent to him and not one replied to.

Yes that’s the one mate sorry to get your hopes up,Lol!
Like you say stick with your mod for now, pity as Innovative RC did a LCG that I must have if only he replied to emails must of won the lottery mate?💩
Did you see K5.9 piston/liner bundle?

Yer surpose it could be but looks like the 2 motor mount holes on the right side are in the wrong place, 2 on the left about right place. Would need to remove parts of the fins and re-drill the other 2 holes plus cut a few mm off the right side. Think I'm going to go with the idea I have, it will work but don't know if it will bend or not under load. The 1 I have played around with I've cut abit to much out of but this was just a practice, when I do it for real will use a 3mm XL motor plate. Jason @ jasong2997 has one for £7.99, failing that will put 2 x 2mm ones together.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325381559551

Nothing will be happening for about a week as still got to source some parts like the diff output cup, another solid ally brace as don't wont to cut one of my shaped ones & a rear diff casing as with the old style I have at the moment there is no way I could use the roto start, just won't get the clearance through the shock tower for the wand. Going to build up a complete back half of a savaga to make sure it all fits before I fit it into one of my other trucks.

This is what I've got so far, The cut out is about the right width as the diff cup will come up through the cut-out with the drive shaft running a couple of mm under the motor plate, have drilled 2 more holes each side of the existing 2 for the ally cross brace which runs under the plate as it will have to be cut in half to match the cut-out in the plate, this should give it plenty of strength if done with a 3mm plate. Think I can reduce the depth of the cut-out by a couple of mm so I've got a bit more meat at the top right motor mount hole. And like I said above, with the X rear diff housing I can use the v2 shock tower and hopefully the starter wand should pass through it. The TVPs I'm going to use will drop the mill by 12mm which is only 5mm more than the X TVPs do, so all should be good.
1667145000031.jpeg
1667147369469.jpeg
1667156283107.jpeg
1667156372395.jpeg

Last edited:
Yep, Tamiya Metallic Blue, drilled the extra 2 holes as well ready for the cut down cross braces, Payday tomorrow so will order some more of the parts I need, then go from there. Think this will end up being build No.11, by the time I've got the pieces I need it won't be far off a complete truck. would still need a gearbox, mill & servos but could use the old K5.9 for the time being, got most of the guts of a gearbox from when I fitted a 3 speed conversion kit to one of the others and a couple of Feetech 35kg servos are only 35 quid, but we will see. should really dismantle it once sorted all the parts out and got everything to fit & work together. Then can use the new parts from this project to upgrade the other trucks. We will see what pans out.🙄👌

you could have possibly turned and drilled the braces to fit sideways and mounted them on top of the plate and to the frame. engine would still have fit

Latest posts

Members online

Back