Any changes I could make? :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savagebeast93

Hi all,

Just looking some feedback. I got s second hand savage xl a few months ago. Love it to bits, definitely the best nitro RC I’ve owned up to now.

I recently got the 3 speed transmission working (finally) after much hassle. The car came with a lot of upgrades that he guy had fitted before I got it. I paid £250 for it and feel it was a pretty good deal to be honest.

I’m just posting to ask, is there a savage veteran out there who has quite a bit of experience with these cars. And if so, anything you’d change about the current set up?

At the moment it has a picco .28 engine with a roto start back plate and a dynamite platinum 086HS exhaust pipe. Running 13/52 gearing. (I also have a 47t spur i can change out for the 52t)

-Bullet proof diffs back and front
-Aluminium big bore shocks
-Front mounted fuel tank and battery/receiver housing for better weight distribution.
-3 shoe hong not clutch shoes with medium springs.
-HPI Goliath wheels/tyres
-aluminium Fast Lane Machine TVPs
-aluminium FLM centre skid plate
-aluminium FLM steering arm and throttle/brake linkage.
-Integy aluminium rear hub carriers and front caster blocks
-Hitec HS-5645MG metal gear throttle servo
-Hitec HS-7955TG titanium gear steering servo
-HPI fuel filter
-Dual intake air filter
-front and back Integy aluminium shock towers, A arms and upper arms
-FLM aluminium engine mount plate and engine mounts
-front and back aluminium skid plates (just cheap Chinese ones)
I’m also running it on 30% nitro fuel with an OS R5 glow plug.

I was thinking about upgrading the engine to a force .36, the picco still has plenty of life in it but I was told that it would be insanely fast with .36 force dropped into it. Is that true? The picco seems like a decent engine to be honest!

Any advice on what to change would be great. I know it has a lot of aluminium but I kinda like how it looks and nothing has bent/broken yet. But any advice would be much appreciated! :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 12
If it were me, I'd return the A-arms (upper and lower) as well as the shock towers to stock. Aluminum components in suspension just bend, rather than absorb damage. Or, they transfer the damage to the next damageable part.

Also, I'd move to a smaller wheel/tire combo. I've had the HPI goliaths, too heavy/ large for bashing. Can put a strain on the drivetrain.

I might consider going back to stock on the front and rear skid plates as well.

Aside from those, you got a great looking setup. That mid tank setup was very popular a few years back.

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking of putting the plastic parts back on tbh. Which wheels/tyres would you recommend? I’m not looking to fit stock ones back on, would rather upgrade :) I was wondering (probably a silly idea) is it a bad idea to have big tyres at the back and smaller wheels/tyres at the front. Like a drag racing car?

Thanks

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking of putting the plastic parts back on tbh. Which wheels/tyres would you recommend? I’m not looking to fit stock ones back on, would rather upgrade :) I was wondering (probably a silly idea) is it a bad idea to have big tyres at the back and smaller wheels/tyres at the front. Like a drag racing car?

Thanks
Yes. Bad idea to do that. It will tear up your diffs and center axles/cups as the rear will be pushing the front all the time as the larger OD will make the rear tires faster at the ground than the fronts.

If you want to pull the front diff, then you can do it. The savage drives like balls with 2wd though. I busted a front center axle many years ago and finished the day with 2wd... then again, I still had the drag of the front diff being in there. I ran a 2wd t-maxx for a long time and it was fun once you got used to it.

The picco 28 was a highly sought after engine for many years. I have one I kneejerk purchased on a forum. Still NIB as I never used it in anything.

At first, I thought your gearing sounded low, but larger wheels/tires require that, or you end up cooking the clutch. I ran proline trencher 3.8's on mine for a bit recently... I was having other tuning issues and swapped them out for lighter 3.8" revo tires/wheels just to help make it easier to figure out my other issues. Mine's jut the X though, so not as long as yours. I do like the 3.8" trenchers, if you can find them. They are a bit heavy, but they work well on a lot of terrain and help cushion landings. I run them on my flux HP and outcast as well. I'll keep the smaller tires on my X though for now.

Not sure your skid plates are aluminum. We saw Steel ones like yours. Those are heavy.

Latest posts

Members online

Back