Alternative body shell for Savage Flux

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelles

Hi everyone, what are my options for alternative body shells, its really hard to find one painted for the savage flux

Hi everyone, what are my options for alternative body shells, its really hard to find one painted for the savage flux

Why get a painted body?, you can get most any clear truck/buggy body you want and fit it, paint it , then cut it out and put on your rig, any available truck body ought to be pretty easy to mask windows and lay on paint, I have been painting all mine for over 30 years, that is the fun part of the hobby and it opens up other things you will enjoy.. a few things to keep in mind is using paint made to stick to lexan either in spray cans or in bottles for airbrushing, you will need proper lexan scissors, and time but that part is mostly free... I pre trim mine and fit to the chassis so you are not having to mark holes and punch them on a fresh painted shell, I use the tip of a hobby knife to start the holes I need then final cut with a reamer I got at the hardware store, for large holes like for the engine I make holes in the corner and connect them with scissors, make reference lines and marks on the outside, most bodies come with a peel film on the outside, don't remove it until the final finish is done that way your body will be shiny and new looking when you are done...

I taught myself how to paint, trim and fit and solder when I first got into RC in 1985 , all good skills in the hobby... of course everything was build it youself kits when I got started so I had to learn everything, check out how to paint on youtube, there are lots of help vids there..

Well if you put it that way.... I think you have convinced me. More tools to buy then, i am in.

So what are my options? Revo and kraton bodies will fit? I don't think the erevo 2.0 fits though, it has a different system for fitting if i am not mistaken?

Also do i have to change my body posts?

Last edited:
Well if you put it that way.... I think you have convinced me. More tools to buy then, i am in.

So what are my options? Revo and kraton bodies will fit? I don't think the erevo 2.0 fits thought, it has a different system for fitting if i am not mistaken?

Also do i have to change my body posts?
A few simple tools is all you need, a quality hobby knife, Racers Edge sells a nice set of curved and straight scissors for trimming, a reamer to make holes the right size and sandpaper to smooth edges. no you most likely do not need to change the body posts, take a clear body trim off the flash from the sides and bottom. put the body loosely on the truck, decide where you want the holes and mark them with a sharpie marker, then slowly make a small hole to check fit I usually do both fronts first then when I am satisfied I do the rear mounts and adjust a bit using the reamer until it sits down on the mounts.. don't go too big on the holes, the film if it has it will keep the shell nice until you finish and any marks won't get on the shiny body.. most traxxas shells are specific to them, they use a properitary mounting system on most everything now, But Proline, J concepts RJ Speed and many other have shells that you can fit with a bit of fitting... I have a Proline F650 body on my MMT and have been doing these for years, you are not restricted to HPI shells only unless you just want easy like everyone else's truck, I will gladly give you any help I can

Attachments

• DSCN5021.JPG
    DSCN5021.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 6
  • WildFire & Zombie Destroyer 002.jpg
    WildFire & Zombie Destroyer 002.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Purple Haze 002.jpg
    Purple Haze 002.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Purple Haze 022.jpg
    Purple Haze 022.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Purple Haze 034.jpg
    Purple Haze 034.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Thanks for the help, anything i need i will ask.

Nice paint jobs there, i bet it takes a lot of time but must be rewarding.

So which brand makes the best bodies in terms of material, i guess proline uses a better material than the stock bodies?

Just look for at minimum 0.30 body, 0.40 or 0.60 are a bit stronger, most bodies other than racing bodies are now made using 0.40 materials, J Concepts makes several monster truck bodies that fit well and Proline does also. my only gripe with Proline is they like to "discontinue" Bodies. also look at Team Blue Groove, they sell on E bay, but are a small business, I think they are in Canada...

https://www.prolineracing.com/

https://jconcepts.net/

https://www.horizonhobby.com/

https://www.ebay.com/str/teambluegroove?_trksid=p2380057.m570.l113337

Keep in mind TBG does not supply any window masks, or decals and I believe they don't include the outer film either, but they do reproduce many bodies that are out of production

I wish they did the 1/8 th F650 Ford truck body. Did a search on their Ebay page and it came back NO.

I REALLY want a newer model year Chevy or Ram truck body, I cannot do a Ford lol, I've thought about a muscle car but I can't afford to get it wrong any more advice as I piggy back on the original question?

I am back, unfortunately i didnt manage to order the body i wanted, also i am just now rebuilding my savage, and I'm back in search for a body.

Through my initiall search i found out about TMT unbreakable bodies, what do you guys think?

I am back, unfortunately i didnt manage to order the body i wanted, also i am just now rebuilding my savage, and I'm back in search for a body.

Through my initiall search i found out about TMT unbreakable bodies, what do you guys think?
If the TMT body shells you refer to are fibre glass I personally wouldn’t bother but that’s my personal opinion of course! 😁

Latest posts

Back