3rd gear upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dewie

I bought the 3rd gear kit for my savage X and the instructions that come with them are just pictures no real instructions. Anybody got a actual instruction for this? With all the gears, screws, shims, bearing you think they would type some actual words in their instructions.

Thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:
I got it in there and it is assembled correctly. But now there is a fair bit of resistance when turning the spur gear, before with my 2 speed you could flick the spur and it would spin freely for 5-10 sec now it's hard to turn and stops dead when your done spining it.

I took it to my hobby store and they have never seen anything like that before and spend 2 hours working on it trying to see if we missed something, they thought it might be the tranny case. So I bought a used tranny case from them, swapped all the parts over and the POS is still hard turning. We put in new bearings and trimed a bit of the tranny case and it makes no differeance.

Can someone please tell me WTF is going on?? Should have spent the extra $50 and bought a complete 3 speed tranny. uuggghh

Thanks WC.
I found the issue and it's a good one. So we attached the spur gear shaft to a cord less drill while the tranny was all together and all the screws were tight. We ran it for 3min or so and it got a bit easier to spin, then when we opened the case again there were plastic shavings all over!!! Torn all the gears out and the inside of the case was mint, nothing was rubbing there???

Then we found out what went down, the middle pinion gear77061 is rubbing and shaving the plastic spur gear 77054 inside of the gear? When we tighted the case screws down that must be whats pressing the gears together and making everything hard to turn. So I dremeled a tiny bit of plastic off all the way around the inside of the spur gear, put it back together and it made a noticable differance.

But this is BS, should HPI warrenty my whole kit? And ofcourse my dad striped the one set screw so I doubt HPI will take it back? Anybody seen of this happening?

HPI wont warranty it. They will say user error at installing. Honestly it sounds like something was assembled wrong, but I could be wrong. I just bought the completed 3rd gear because I was lazy and it was cheap on Ebay.

thanks Jud, what did you spens for your kit?

I can see HPI saying that but it still hasen't been installed in the car and I had 2 hobby guys look at it for hours and they are baffled. after reading all the 3 speed failures I should have spent my money on something else.

Thanks for looking. How about if I change the spur for the newer savage its a bit bigger but I could drop the engine a bit!!!!! Are 52 tooth and 49 tooth spurs different sizes in circumfrence?

What Mickey said but also as the tooth count goes down you have to slide your engine closer to the spur, and opposite if you go bigger

Yeah the new 2 speed trannys cases are suppose to be a perfect fit for the 3 speed swap. Anyways I emailed HPI with pics and a detailed description of what happened. And yes it was covered under warrenty. The shaft they had was a mm or two short causing the gear to eat on each other.

just waiting for my parts now.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back