3-speed trany help needed oversized tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizzy_des

ok, i've read all i can now, but i still need help. i have the three speed in an old 21 savy box. it dosen't sound like it shifting. i picked up a new x box for easy tuning. can you guys help me out with a starting point for the set screw postions? i'm running oversize hot bodies wheels at 7". the gearing is 17/49 but i think i'm probably going to lower it to 17/52. motor is a .28 axial which seems to have plenty of power for the tires. i don't hear any shifting when it on the street. any help or ideas are greatly apreciated.

When you hold the truck up in the air and give it throttle can you hear it shift? When it does the truck will jerk dramatically. Make sure you got a good grip on it and stay away from the tires!

You would probably be best changing to the 17/52 gearing or even lower on the CB. My guess is that your truck is shifting very soon and you arnt realizing it. Adjust your trans to shift later just to try it.

You are going to have to wind the grub screw a fair way back to get it to change. You will know when you have gone too far cause it will sound sick when starting. Are you having to pull off the top of the tranny to adjust the 1st to second shift point?

the truck has good snap and great speed. i live in reno nv it's like 4600 ft above sea level. so wheelies for me are kind of out of the question. lol. add the 7" tires with a good tune i can pull the left front off the ground. i have tuned my revo and a couple of t-maxx's with the 2.5 and 3.3 thats all i can get out of them so i have been happy. when i put the three speed kit in the tranny i think i herd it shift once. when the two speed was in it it was just so obvious when second gear hit. i can't fiqure this darn thing out. can somebody give me an idea how to lock out 2nd to 3rd so i can dial that. then i will work on 2nd to 3rd. i must be getting too old cause i can't fiqure this little sucker out. thats why i picked up the 52 spur gear and x trans box.
thanx guys
mike

the 3 speed sounds like it makes a big difference but I'm starting to wonder if its worth it if its that hard to adjust!!

I just put the 3 speed in my savage, and i really thought it was not shifting too. turns out what was happening was that it was shifting really early, and at lower rpm it was harder to hear. i had to set both (first to second, and second to third) shift points way later than were set from factory. maybe give that a try.

hop it where you going to post a link? zach 406 with the early shifts could you hear them? my savy will out run my revo 2.5 even with the tires. but when it was a two speed and just like the revo it was so darn obvious by sound and speed of the shift. does anyone have a starting point for the grub screws? from flush or bottumed out? thanx

i don't know exactly how far in the screws need to be in, but on mine, the screw for first to second is almost all the way in, and from second to third its about 3/4 of the way in. I'm sure differant gearing, differant engine, tire size etc. will all change things. mine is a savage 25 with a picco .28 p3, 17cb 47 spur, and the old school hpi savage tires. i would start with the screws all the way in, until it wont shift out of first, then back it out from there. same for second to third. hopefully that helps!! and hopefully you have the savage x gear box or all that adjusting is gonna be a pain!! good luck!!

Latest posts

Members online

Back