3 speed tranny

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frddyj

evenin' guys. I'm looking to change out the 2 speed on my xl f4.6 to a 3 speed & am finding 2 different part #'s #87257 & #87218. the descriptions that i've found say that it is the optional 3 speed for the savage series, but doesn't say any differences or why there are 2 of them. Also, on Tower hobbies there is a $30.00 price difference between the 2.
or, is there a thread that shows how to convert my 2 speed gearing to the 3 speed without buying the whole assembled tranny? searched long & hard & couldn't find one.

If I'm not mistaken, the #87257 uses the X-style trans case (removable top), and the #87218 uses the older-style case. Why there's such a huge price difference is beyond me, though. :dunno: If it were me (and it may one of these days), I'd either convert my tranny or get the 87257...being able to get inside the case is a big plus to me.

hey guys, thanks for the replies. i was thinking of converting the tranny bcuz i am getting into wrenching my savy & liking it. but will prob end up getting the 87257, i like the idea of the removable top, just wanted to make sure that i was getting the right one.

frddyj, does your existing case already have the removable top? If so, why not just buy the kit and build it yourself? If you like wrenching like I do, you'll enjoy it. I just upgraded mine and it took only about 30 minutes to do and was very easy to do. I used to rebuild transmissions in 1:1 cars so I enjoy doing that stuff. The part# is 87220 and it costs about 52.00 with shipping from Tower ($10.00 off coupon code which I forgot, but search on google). I actually bought another 2 speed trans off of ebay for $10.00 and upgraded that one, so now I have a spare just in case.

Mike, i like that idea, i do like to wrench so i am going to get a 2nd tranny off ebay as well so that i can take my time wrenching the new tranny and still be able to rip away on my existing sav...thanks for the tip..

Does anyone know the part number on the XL 3 speed? There are a few on e-bay that say they were taken out of an XL kit, but I am not sure if this will work in the X ??

If I'm not mistaken, the #87257 uses the X-style trans case (removable top), and the #87218 uses the older-style case. Why there's such a huge price difference is beyond me, though. :dunno: If it were me (and it may one of these days), I'd either convert my tranny or get the 87257...being able to get inside the case is a big plus to me.

what you have mentioned above is correct, beside i've seen a 3 speed in tower hobbies cost much higher, i guess due to its nature which is heavy duty and its for the savage, i guess the parts is stiffened, price if am not mistaken is around 90$, but i cant recall the part #

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back