3 Speed broken gear twice during break in?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinart

Hey guys

I have a brand new Savage XL with the 3 speed transmission and an SH28 engine, and as I was driving the car around on its 3rd tank of fuel and it hadn't even shifted out of 1st gear and the car just rolled to a stop and wouldn't accelerate. After a quick inspection we had found that the large gear on the top transmission shaft had broken into a few pieces. So thinking this was a defective gear, we bought another one and put it back together.

So we started the truck again and started driving it, the engine was just warming up and it shifted into 2nd gear for its first time, then rolled to a stop again. A quick inspection again and sure enough the same gear is busted again.

We are at a loss as to how and why this brand new transmission has killed 2 gears already. I done a bit of reading and have seen there are upgrade kits for these 3 speeds, but this truck hasn't even been broken in and its broken 2 gears already.

So has anyone else had this problem or maybe have any idea as to why it has done this?

The gear part number is 77064, its the large gear on the top transmission shaft.

Also, does anyone know if the 2 speed will drop straight in to this XL or does it require other changes?

Never heard of issues with that gear. I would completely disassemble the transmission and see if something is amiss. The transmission case is the same between the 2 speed and 3 speed so they are a direct swap. Only thing you may want to change if you go to a 2 speed is the spur/ clutch bell combo (depending on what you are currently running).

Thanx for the reply Ghost, we pulled the transmission right apart again and had a good look but everything seems to be just fine. The only thing I can think of was a bit of the old gear was left in the transmission causing this new gear to tear apart again but my friend assures me it was completely clean upon assembly. So we are kind of lost as to why 2 of the exact same gears have destroyed themselves on the break in period.

I think for now we are going to grab a new 2 speed and jam that in there so we can get some up time on this new truck and give us some time to have a real good look at the 3 speed.

thanx for your help

I'll also suggest giving HPI a call about it to their customer support. They are real good with supporting their customers and may send you some new gears or trans. If you still have the gears, they may want a picture. Just a thought and suggestion.

cheers Savageextreme that sounds like a good idea. I'm over here in Australia but I'm sure they would still be able to help me in one way or another.

The funny thing I sold this XL to my friend all brand new and said its time for him to hang up those cheap RC's he plays with and play with a real truck that wont break ... you can just imagine the slack he is giving me over this haha.

The funny thing I sold this XL to my friend all brand new and said its time for him to hang up those cheap RC's he plays with and play with a real truck that wont break ... you can just imagine the slack he is giving me over this haha.

That is a misconception entirely. :) The better and more complex the RC, the more problems can come up. Especially considering this vehicle is meant to be bashed. That's why we as a community upgrade our rigs so much, always chasing the demons.

Members online

No members online now.
Back