.25 dies during acceleration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wulf

I bought a used savage and I got it running, but it only idles. as soon as it's given any amount of throttle it dies.

What do I do? Do I need to richen or lean the engine?

thanks

Put your needles back to factory settings and test for air leaks, I had a similar issue and actually had a bad piece of fuel line, air was getting in.

Have you tried to lean the high speed needle a little? it may be running rich which will cause it to load up with fuel and stall when accelerating.

Before you do any tuning, check for any air leaks. They will cause you to run lean and will drastically reduce performance and life.
If after you checked and it's fine, and it suddenly dies out when trying to throttle, you need to richen up the high speed needle. The engine isn't getting sufficient fuel, and dies out because it's set too lean. If it bogs then dies, It's set too rich. Lean out the high speed needle.

just an update

I solved it..... the throttle trim was set too high, completely closing the carb, which is why it would only run on the prime.

the carb shouldn't be able to close completely. You should set the idle screw so that the gap in the carb is about 1mm. See how it idles then fine tune the idle from there.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back