2 speed wont shift

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitrorich

my savage will not shift into 2nd.it dose great wheelies so i figure its in first plus the motor revs high at full throttle.anyhoo i turned the adjust screw all the way in and went 1/4 turns out I'm now at 4 turns out still wont shift.anyone no roughly were the screw should be (how many turns out) my hobby shop hobby feaver said 4 to 5 turns out other people tell me no more than 2 please help i don't want to kill my os 30 motor

Last edited by a moderator:
not to sound ignorant but your lhs probably has no clue. I had the same issue last year with a different 2 speed and hpi doesnt have that information published anywhere. the biggest mistake you made was turning the screw all the way in. I would take the grub screw out completely that controls your shift point but be careful theres a small spring under it that can pop out and if it does your beat until you replace it. put it in give it 1 complete turn clockwise and test it out. shifts will be very quick, if your not starting the truck in 2nd at that point, you will be able to tell. then make 1/8 turn adjustments clockwise until your satisfied with the shift point. id keep track of how many turns until your happy so you know for next time.

thats good advice. also, don't hammer the throttle, but roll onto it slower & steady so you stretch out the rpm range & can hear it shift.

believe it or not sometimes it can shift into second so quickly you wont hear it if its out of adjustment.

all good stuff. I do tune mine from locked out though (full in). go 2.5 turns out. you will be close

so do i put the screw all the way in and out 1 and half

i talked to hpi the setting is the screw goes all the way out counter clockwise and one and a half in clockwise

Last edited by a moderator:
no its like 5 to 6 from closed but your not supose the close it you damage the spring hpi says

ok i ran my truck today it shifts great so the stock setting is all the way out and 1 1/4 in

I was 1/4 turn off :) glad to hear you got her running good.

can't say you were 1/4 turn off caz his tranny would prob shift fine with your recommendation also, just a matter of fine-tuning to personal preference in shift point.

+ rep for helping rich out rockout

question

my trucks was shifting to fast and no matter what i did it shifted the same so i bought the maintenance kit for the trans it came with the bla ck and silver spring now i remember in my hi rs4 evo that it said to put the black spring in if you were running a bigger motor i just put a .32 axial rr

the hpi 2 speed adjust screw is all the way out counterclockwise until flush with the base and 1/1/2 in clockwise thats setting is from hpi i had the same headache.plus i use hobby feaver 2

Hi tried doing the same with one of our savages this morning and found 2 things I was worried about, the screw was tight shut I had to use a pair of pliers to budge it and when it did move it was catching the outer casing, also there was 2 screws inside I was turning the top one is this correct

Ok guys I talked to hpi they said you r suppose to use the silver spring if you are running a motor over.25 or else it will shift to early no matter where the setting is

i bought a savage used with an axial .32, that the guy says wouldn't shift into second. i haven't got to that problem yet but would it stay the same as the stock setting. i think i have 18/52 on it.

Latest posts

Members online

Back