1st Modest mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallenangels

Ok, as I am sure you all share the modding bug from the looks of your less than stock savages you all have, I will tell of my first of what is sure to be a long list of addictive mods. Althought they were simple in nature I think they were a wise first choice.
I started by raising the body and installing the HPI included roll-cage over the motor. I hope to one day replace this with a beefier version, but for now free will do.
IMG_2854.jpg

IMG_2840.jpg

IMG_2849.jpg

IMG_2848.jpg

IMG_2844.jpg

IMG_2841.jpg

My next mod was done out of personal safety...lol!!! Durring the few attempts I made to remove the body the factory clips tore off both of the tips of my thumbnails and stabbed one. So out of necessity I purchased some easier to grip and simpler to remove Red Cat racing clips. Check out the difference!
IMG_2836.jpg

IMG_2839.jpg

Yes free mods are the best way to start out since the trucks already cost so much. The boss of the house won't kill you for free mods. One the best of not the best free mod you can do is the shock mod. I can't link you from my phone but if you look up the threads I've made its under there. Don't cost any thing but the price of oil witch you can use other kinds you have around the house till you buy some if you so wish to. The shock mod makes your truck handle 100% better on cornering. Almost eleminstra the roll over problem with these top heavy trucks. Another free mod. Out a piece of tubing on the exhaust stinger to deflect some of the oil to help keep your truck a little cleaner. Another is place a couple zipties around the bumper mounts to help them from turning outwards and it keeps your hinge pins from falling out. Place it down by the bulk heads. One more free one. Bend the break lever back twords the rear of the truck. It gives you more stopping power. Remember to readjust the breaks after this mod it makes them tight. One last thing the bolt holding your rear left shocks onto the tower. Turn the bolt around so that the bit is faceing the rear of the truck. And the head is twords your fuel tank. It will keep it from punching a hole in the tank with a hard landing. And I always out my shocks in the closest hole twords the body mounts. Helps on cornering. There's more mods to do but this should keep you busy for awhile of you choose to do them. Happy wrenching.

Thanks for the tips...pics would help if anyone gets the time. I was wondering what people were using to attach to their exhaust to lowwer the outlet. That helps alot!!! Links or pics would help though...I am excited to get to modding.
I do have one question, though, what is the big deal with the mid tank set ups??? Is it for improved center of gravity, cuz I realy was looking forward to eventualy putting an aluminum tank on it.

Yw the mid tank is to stop the engine from learning out for to the stock tank having bad lean issues. And center gravity as well as holds more fuel for longer run times. Protects the tank to. And the stinger deflectora you can buy for like 2 bucks but ice used 2/4 inch heater core hose from auto zone. The shock mod under threads I made has step by step pictures. I can't post links or pictures on here from my phone. Maybe someone can link you if they are this thread. If not you'll have to hunt for it through my name. Good luck.

After you "work" your body in you can cut out the back window and lower your body if you want..
and you could also add some "vents" in the windshield, you can get creative with a dremel and make some different size holes...

After you "work" your body in you can cut out the back window and lower your body if you want..
and you could also add some "vents" in the windshield, you can get creative with a dremel and make some different size holes...

Yep, you definitely must lower it. Raised bodies are more prone to break, and look very, VERY ricey ;)

I was thinking about lowwering the body, but I hadn't had a chance to get the tools I need to cut it. I figured the same about the body being prone to breakage. I guess I still have to research the mid tank issue so I can better understand what you mean by it causing a leaning out condition.

I picked up the tools I needed and some extra goodies today...let the build begin! I started by lowwering the body and cutting a hole in the front windshield.
IMG00037-20100403-0505.jpg

. Out a piece of tubing on the exhaust stinger to deflect some of the oil to help keep your truck a little cleaner. Another is place a couple zipties around the bumper mounts to help them from turning outwards and it keeps your hinge pins from falling out. Place it down by the bulk heads. One more free one. Bend the break lever back twords the rear of the truck. It gives you more stopping power. Remember to readjust the breaks after this mod it makes them tight. One last thing the bolt holding your rear left shocks onto the tower. Turn the bolt around so that the bit is faceing the rear of the truck. And the head is twords your fuel tank. It will keep it from punching a hole in the tank with a hard landing.

they are good mods....but i'm kinda skiddisd on the tubing on the exhaust. believe it or no....those exhaust deflectors can change the tune on your truck. think about it. the exhaust tip is a certain length for tuning. adding and subtracting legth from that point can change the way she runs and holds a tune. one thing i do to all my truck is spray them down with a foaming tire protector over everything....then blow them off with an air compressor. if any dirt or fuel gets on anything....then it's a easy clean up because you can wipe or air blow the truck off to clean it. i do it whenever it looks dry....and anyone that's has bought trucks or used parts from me will tell you they looked brand new.

good look on this! i was gonna tell him to lower that body to help air get to that engine...and cut a hole in the winshield. if you want...put some zip ties on that head because that rollcage will flex a little!green/red hpisf

the next mods i would do that are very cheap is steering bearings, hpi polished pipe, integy rear carriers, and aluminum clutches. if you search the right store...all can be bouhgt off ebay for under $50 or $60.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back