17mm to 14mm hexes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carnage79

ihave a savage x and it has 17mm hexes. i ordered some wheels that are 14mm. what's the difference other then 3mm??? the wheel will be the same size except for the hex connection, right?

people say that they are less durable because the 17mm has more surface for the rum to grip to then the 14mm has. i run both 14mm and 17mm and have never had problems out of either. i feel as long as you always make sure that your wheels are on tight and on the hexes right that you will not have any probles out of them.But that is just how i feel due to the fact that i have not had any problems.

savage_14_mm_wheels_004.jpg

this is what usally happens to a 14mm
hpi upgraded your truck to the 17 mm I would stick with that.

savage_14_mm_wheels_005.jpg

heres what it is supposed to look like

does the hex size have anything to do with gearing? I would think it might or am I tripin.

your axle is still turning at the same speed, the hex is just providing more contact with the wheel.

your axle is still turning at the same speed, the hex is just providing more contact with the wheel.
Bingo he nailed it. As a matter of fact he nailed it a few times in this thread.

Bigger size hex = More contact to the wheel

More contact to the wheel = More durability

Now, if anyone cares I just stripped a 14mm wheel about 3 days ago, brand new wheel too. 17mm and up is the way to go.

yeah i put the 17mm hex kit on my savage & I love the tires that opened up to me the rims at my LHS are kinda boring but I'm sure they serve some kinda purpose..

Well I never really experience any problems But i must say I haven't been In this hobby to long

i run 14mm and have had no probs either, if i could justify new rims they would be 17mm as i love the hpi blast, and truggy wheels just offer a much wider selection of sizes and treads.

Latest posts

Members online

Back