17mm Hex Adapters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superflybacong

I have a Savage 25 that I want to convert to 17mm hexes. HPI used to have a conversion kit available but it's discontinued. Will 17mm hex adapter from the Savage X also work? I'm just not sure what's required to make the conversion to 17mm hex.

if you cant find them a 17mm losi kit will work with some minor modifications--thats what I did on mine.

yep and you just have to drill out the holes in the axle stubs a little to fit the larger diameter pins thats all.

that will work but doesnt have the bigger stronger wheel nut of the losi setup

That is true, also true is the stock 17mm hexes will work fine , I have used both and on my personal Savage I am using the stock HPI 17mm hexes for a couple years with zero problems, all one has to do is make sure to check the standard wheel nuts before running and they will be good to go....
My XTM MMT uses the larger buggy style and if locktited they stay tight, guess it all comes down to preference and cost...

The Losi setup isn't necessary, the hpi one is a direct fit whether it be the 14 or 17mm. They all interchange. I have never had an issue with wheel nuts being weak

oh I agree but also at the time I needed the hpi setup no one had it in stock---hpi parts in the US were slim to find sometimes about 6 mos ago.

I have had zero issues finding parts, I bought mine about 4 months ago and they are everywhere. EBay, Amazon, a main, etc. All over when I bought them.

I just got a red xmaxx 8s from the wife for christmas but my customized savage is still my favorite.Once I figure out how to post pics here I will put some up.Maybe it was just my bad luck I couldnt find them

Looks like the lowest cost option would be to get the HPI 17mm. I was a bit confused at first because I thought the 17mm hex wheels had a larger center hole and i wasn't sure how the wheel would be secured using the small nut. Now I see it comes with a larger flange nut that should secure the wheel against the adapter.

That is correct, you don't even need to swap the pins in the out drives over, just swap the hex over and done, and the new nuts of course

Hot racing makes a nice set I just got them and they work perfectly eBay hot racing warlock 17mm convertion

Hot racing makes a nice set I just got them and they work perfectly eBay hot racing warlock 17mm convertion
I am also running the hot racing setup . I kept loosing wheels even with new nylock nuts to secure the rim to the hub . After the change to the hot racing setup no problems

I keep breaking the HPI flange nuts. I broke 4 or 5 last summer on my flux. Ended up trying some axial ones. The HPI ones used to be made better, but the latest version of them has a really thin dome that essentially peals off the nut.
2017-0821-HPI_Z680-old-new-axial31087-side.jpg

Far left is the old, middle is the new, far right is the axial 31087.

This is how the "new" version breaks:
2017-0602-HPIFlangeNutsCompareBroken.jpg

The issue with the axial ones though is that the threads don't start at the bottom of the flange, so they only grab by a few threads and can be difficult to get started on the axle. They do seem to be holding up though. I have 2 of those on the front of my flux and 2 of the old HPI ones on the rear. Put quite a few packs through it since installing the axials.

Has anyone tried Traxxas’ 17mm wheel hex? They have notches in then. I’m looking at upgrading the 14mm hex and get paddle tires for the snow. Traxxas makes paddle tires and they use this type of hex that is apparently compatible with reg 17mm hex. Any thoughts??

Attachments

• D3C371E5-7186-4D93-9122-F32B94D85FAE.png
    D3C371E5-7186-4D93-9122-F32B94D85FAE.png
    590.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 1E5BE1E6-C037-4E9E-B2B2-7693C8B032BC.png
    1E5BE1E6-C037-4E9E-B2B2-7693C8B032BC.png
    1 MB · Views: 4
Has anyone tried Traxxas’ 17mm wheel hex? They have notches in then. I’m looking at upgrading the 14mm hex and get paddle tires for the snow. Traxxas makes paddle tires and they use this type of hex that is apparently compatible with reg 17mm hex. Any thoughts??
They don't fit. HPI axles have a shoulder on them that is 8mm (I think) and the HPI specific hubs have a relief cut in them to fit over that while still having a 6mm hole for the threaded part. Traxxas hubs are smaller where the pin goes through.

I think if I were to replace mine, I'd try the hot racing ones. Would be nice if things were a little more standardized. But since I'm running the super HD bones, they require the larger cups, so even if I found a set of the HPI 17mm conversion, I couldn't use it.

I used traxxas 17mm with hpi xl axles you just drill axle hole bigger and file down the spacers for axles just little bit works really good and was easy to do

Traxxas on one truck and hot racing on other truck I really like the hot racing really good fit

I used traxxas 17mm with hpi xl axles you just drill axle hole bigger and file down the spacers for axles just little bit works really good and was easy to do
Really easy if you have a drill press. Tried that before freehand and ended up with a set of wobbly hubs.

Does anybody know about this one. Is a 12mm. On my hpi 21 savage. I need a kit. I Ordered from manual. I got 17mm. ?hpi86066. 20210315_201658.jpg20210315_202519.jpg

I don't think those rims are stock hpi savage ones, which is why they are 12mm. Not sure how long 12mm will hold up. Savage were first 14mm then 17mm.

Latest posts

Members online

Back