1/2 Lean Cure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what about a one-way vaccum valve so the tank doesn't loose pressure between the pulses?

I thought about that early on. Seemed like a good idea but how do you stop the pressure and fuel flow if the engine dies? The pressure would still be trapped in the tank and push the fuel into the engine flooding the engine.
Again you would still have the issue of variable head pressure and exhaust pressure depending on how you are running it.

I nixed the idea due to the flooding issue.

I think if it was this easy they would come with them from the factory due to the fact that they are readily available and could be manufactured very inexpensively.

So what is it a lil diaphragm pump? It looks to be in a smash zone ATM. Id rethink its location a tad bit. Maybe a mid tank and put it on the left of the mill? lol jj there... But for real I would get it a lil lower if you can. or behind the tower. don't know how limited you are as to how far away it can be. FLM ext would be nice for it 4 sure. It could mount behind the mill.

Yes it appears to be a diaphram pump. (haven't disassembled it) I am working out the mounting location and intend to mount it behind the shock tower. I did a quick mockup in that location because it was easy and met all of the mounting requirements. (Mainly trying to show the basic fuel lines and routing) Again I am working on the final product. The position is limited due to the length of the tube but can be lengthened by adding a solid brass tube. Apparently the flexibility of the tube and extended lengths affect the performance. Second it should be mounted level with the carb and third it is preferable to have the cc tube above the cc tap so that any fuel/oil from the cc will drain instead of accumulating in the tube. Also due to the rotation of the engine it is recomended to tap the right side of the case so that excess fuel/oil is not rotated up to the tap.
As you all know there arent many options on a Savage that meet these criteria as the right side is where the engine sits as well as the exhaust system. If you have an XL you would have room between the engine and shock tower. I agree that the location shown may get smashed in a rollover as it is right below the body mount.

Been busy with family but hope to wrap it up and test this weekend.
I'll update with results, pics, and video.

Was It A Success?

rockoutrockoutrockout All I can say is WHOO HOO! YOU BET! ABSOLUTLEY! Unless, you don't like a truck that starts at the first blip of the starter, can idle smoothly all day long and if you feel froggy and grab the throttle will do a back flip. (With a lowered suspension, soft shocks, and heavy oversized tires and wheels.) Oh yeah no midlean problems either. Or maybe you like to set your carb at a compromised 1/2 full tank level. You know rich for the first half and lean on the second. Ran and ran after getting the tune and never saw higher than 241 deg. Did I mention it will flip over on command? Without running lean or overheating?
Do what you want with your trucks but I will never own a Nitro RC without this pump. Its now part of the purchase package along with batteries and glow plugs.
:jamout:
Then again maybe I should have kept this a secret. Its always a kick in the butt to blow everyone away especially when they cant figure out why.

I'll post the install in a new thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey i saw you bring your truck in at destination. glad the pump is working. i was the guy at the register when you were explaining the pump.

Get that mill over 200 or your wrecking it to start with!!! Also buy a new case. A Few jumps and that is toast. Force cases are soft all by themselfs move that tap out of the mount on the next case. Its not bashable like that. Other than that cool beens. Looks like a neat road set up!

Sorry I mistyped that. The correct number was 241 degrees. It ran consistently between 230 and 240 depending on how hard I was running it.
It was recomended to me by Gary Conely to tap at that location. Its pretty well protected by the pipe and I hope to not have any trouble with it. Maybe I will put a small piece of aluminum above it just in case. If it does get caught it can be easily replaced and the engine should imediately shut down as the case loses pressure and the pump stalls.:Xfingers:
Drilling a hole in the mount away from the screws that hold it WILL NOT AFFECT THE INTEGRITY OF THE MOUNT IN ANY WAY! Round holes are good square or jagged cuts are bad. THIS WILL NOT HURT THE CASE OR DECREASE ITS STRENGTH IN ANY WAY! I have a background in engineering and Gary Conely has a Bachelors degree in engine design.

Gary must not know how prone that mill is to snap them off then. Force cases are soft as poop.. The case will let go not the tap coming off thats not my concern.

Other than that looks good! hook up with jmanglona for a race test!

lets bash...i have a heavy 5 inch extended savage with a heavy *** cage to weigh it down even more. my mill should be here by tuesday. where around davis or weber county is a good place to go?

i also have the larsen cf treatment on my other savy with the stock mill. it hauls major arse.

Gary must not know how prone that mill is to snap them off then. Force cases are soft as poop.. The case will let go not the tap coming off thats not my concern.

Other than that looks good! hook up with jmanglona for a race test!

That may be but drilling through is not going to make the problem worse. If they break I would imagine that they break close to the motor case due to weak material and the stress riser (sharp corner) built into the case. This small hole will not help or make it worse. In fact if you want to strengthen the case you could radius the transitions between the mounts and case. Actually removeing material would make it stronger. There is probably not enough material on these engines to do this but technically it would work. I haven't seen one cracked but that would be my first guess.

I'll get with jmanglona. Could be fun.

do you have any ramps? all i have are the skate board ramps from toys-rus. also can you guys get on base? there might be some places on there.

No can do on the base. I don't have any ramps cuz they wouldnt fit in my car. Theres a few skateboard parks around with ramps if thats what your into.

Need to stay on subject here though so send me a private message to talk.

Thanks

Great job Scooter and very interesting.
Could you explain the layout of the system a bit better, maybe using your pics or line diagrams, so that it shows what does what and where ?

Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Back