ZoneAlarm? Anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RangerRock

I have been looking into a new anti virus, spyware, and firewall, I did have McAfee but got tired of it and got to be a pain. I am looking at getting ZoneAlarm which I have the trial version and so far I like it a lot, just wondering if anyone has experience with it.

Thanks

My dad bought ZoneAlarm once. It worked great for a while, then he started noticing problems it was creating. Not sure if it was him or the program, but I don't trust it. If I were to suggest anything to you, I'd go for Eset's NOD. It's rated as one of the best out there at this time. We use it where I work, and it has performed flawlessly.

http://www.eset.com/

Check out there site and see for yourself. Let us know what you decide on.

I used ZoneAlarm for years up until recently..they've really gone down hill...i de-installed it off of all my systems...I went Mcafee only because it was free from my ISP....i'd say go with NOD if you don't want Mcafee....I did a trial with BitDefender recently but didn't like the fact that you had to reboot for every update...for me...Mcafee is one of the best security suites i've used so far...I was heading towards NOD before I found out I could mcafee for free.

Good luck

Comodo Pro firewall, AVG Anti-Virus.. All the spyware, firewall, virus, and real-time protection you need.

Use Ad-Aware for some checks for other types of trackware and the like. It's a good combo, and I've been using it for a long time. Try them out man, you'll like them. Very easy on system resources as well.

I do alot of work on my computer, so its important to me that mine runs well. I use AVG, you can get it off of download.com. It works very well, and has active features like internet surf scanner, link scanners, and tons of great features. Download the free 30 day trial, you will be imrpessed.

Yes I have ad-aware and avast installed, always had them and love them.

I had Zone alarm. The program was fine. I had trouble when it expired. First it reminds you every ten minutes or so that you need to spend more money with them. Then when you try and renew, its a major pita. They updated the program so I needed to uninstall and call with my # and reinstall after re-creating an account. Phew.. I just dumped it and got Ad-aware.

BigDan....

Start out by going to your control panel...add/remove...remove everything from symantec...then reboot the system and enter in safe mode...from there
safe mode > control panel > admin tools > services...disable any current services that are still running for symantec...reboot again into regular windows and make sure nothing is in the add/remove menu for symantec..and you can do a manual search for any symantec files...that should remove everything.... if not..you may need another app to do so...

good luck.

I'm not sure honestly....I don't run Vista...you can try it though...the features are there...Vista comes with a safe mode and a control panel to add/remove programs...

Don't take this serious but you have 2 of the worst software, lol.......sorry but I can't think of a worse combo. Just my .02, I play online games and used it before, never will use it again

And yes Norton is a PAIN to uninstall...

If you're referring to Vista yes...unfort you are correct...it is not a very good OS and was rushed to the market.. :(

Yes I am referring to Vista.....Have to agree, its only taken Microsoft 10 years to get XP where it is, wonder how long it will take them to get Vista just as good...Personally I love XP

I'm a Linux guy..but XP is pretty sweet too..it would be third on my list....even with the 1400 patches that came out after the oS was released..LOOOOOL But I could bash Winblows all day long so I'll just stop here. :)

Big Dan...also after you have cleared Norton..depending which security suite you go with it may also scan and remove any findings of Norton before the windows installer installs it to your system.
Also...see if their is an uninstall feature either in the add/remove portion of the control panel...or in the Norton folder itself. The pre-packaged uninstallers are usually pretty good but you should still check through safe mode.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Back