Zombies/Maximizers/Pro line foam

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frddyj

Seems like many use the Losi Zombie/1/2" Offset Maximizer Beadlock combo and have problems with the tires ballooning or distorting, so after i saw a post by the judge, i decided to try the pro line foams & duct tape. Never used the tape before so if i didn't do it right, please feel free to correct me:
I started with:
Losi Zombie-Maxx tires Part # LOSA767 OR $30.39 x 2
Maximizer 1/2" off set beadlocks # MAX1731 $27.99 x 2
Pro line foams part # 6198-01 $8.99 x 2
1 roll of Gorilla tape that i already had
rm1cu0.jpg

On first attempt, i tried to install the yellow foams that came with Zombies, but became extremely frustrated as they distorted the shape of the tire. After seeing a post by the judge with the part #, i trucked on down to the LHS & picked them up. Notice how they are shaped like the tire itself & how different it is from the foam supplied with the tires. They claim that the foam has a longer life expectancy than the yellow foam & it has more of a 'dead' feeling instead of a 'springy' feeling.
2q9f4ub.jpg

Next I turned the tire inside out as instructed from one of my hpisf bros
145suo.jpg

then i wrapped some gorilla tape around the tire (not the side wall, just the tread area) which is the same width as the tape (2") so no cutting of the tape was required
rqzw93.jpg

Then i turned the tire back to its original position (which was easy because the inside of the tire is extremely tacky & the tape sticks like crazy) inserted the foam and proceeded to mount it on the Maximizer bead lock. Here is a pic of the tire with the tape & pro line foam installed. Notice the nice uniform shape of the tire with no cutting of the foam required
2eyb7n8.jpg

and there is a good video of how to mount the tire on the maximizer beadlock which is located here: http://www.maximizerproducts.com/instructional-v.cfm
unfortunately i haven't had the chance to run my truck with the new skins just yet because it is still in pieces, but hopefully i will get the chance this weekend and report my findings.
Please comment on my tire build...freddy

Last edited by a moderator:
Let us no how this works out. Iam really intrested in getting this tire and rim combo, but don't want to buy if there are issues with them ballooning like i have seen from other post. Thanks for the pics of your tire build it will come in handy if this eliminates the ballooning issues. Thanks agian.

The tape really helps. I have a set with stock foams on Maximizers with Gorilla Tape on the inside. I used 2 wraps of tape, and haven't had any issues with ballooning since. It will attempt to balloon at the edges of the tape, but the tread face stays nice and flat across.

great info there!! thanks for posting,and let us know how well this setup works as alot of people hate the ballooning of tires!!

Hope to get my sav back up & running & out for a bash before the Patriots & Red Sox play on Sunday so i will take some more photos & let you know my findings. Crash, that is one heck of a sweet bike....sold my soft tail custom when i ran out of time when the kids came, but plan to get back in one day.

clemet, thanks for the info on the 2 wraps of tape. i didnt know how many to do so i put on 1 wrap with the new foams, it is good to know that you got good results with the double-wrap so if i am not satisfied after i run it i will tear them down & put another wrap of tape in there...freddyj

Have u had a chance to try the set up out yet. Let us no how it turned out.

hey newbie, it pains me to say that i haven't run it yet. i am in the middle of a complete mid-tank mod & need to dremel my tvp & engine mount a bit to get the engine back in then whip up a quick ofna linkage which i will be working on as soon as my wife gets home to relieve me of rug-rat guard duty.
I will hopefully complete this tonight or tomm for sure & then will beat the snots out of it so stay tuned for my findings and probably a damage report....frddyj

Ok, finally got my ride back together and ripped through 2 tanks and here are my findings on the Zombie/Maximizer Offset/Proline foam set up thus far:
As many have stated here in the forum, the maximizers are a great rim, keep in mind that i can only compare them to the stock warlocks that came with my rtr X, but the 1" wider stance that they create on the savage looks mean & my truck is noticably more stable than when i last ran it with the stock set up. Keep in mind that not only did i change the tires, but converted to a mid-tank with FLM EXT LCG's which would definately contribute to stability but i am focusing on the tires here.
I ran the savage on the pavement, grass, dirt & rocks as fast as i could for both tanks & the tires did not turn into 'pizza-cutters' (balloon) at all which, imo is a product of using the gorilla tape. Nor did they distort as has happened to other members using this set up, causing them to remove the tires, adjust the foams etc. I also contribute this to the tape, but also to the proline foams as i am very impressed with them. On a side note, these foams come stock with the proline 40 series tires. One other point to keep in mind is that i have the stock F4.6 mill that came with my RTR. it is pretty fast & i beat on my truck/tires to see if they would fail, which they didn't, but i am curious if they would still perform as well under the power of an LST, Picco, etc.
Overall, this 30 minutes of run-time leaves me wanting to go home "sick" from work to get a lot more run time & I love this wheel set up, do not have any regrets and would recommend the whole set up (keeping in mind that i have only run 2 tanks with them)
If you do get them, i would definately recommend putting in the tape and getting the pro line foams. Let us know if you get them and how you make out with them.

I run Zombies on RPM's. They are by far my favorite tire and I always use 2 wraps of Gorilla Tape on any tire before I mount them. Pizza Cutters are ugly.
I used the foams that came with the tire and they are still pretty sturdy but the next set (when ever these things wear out which seems like never since I don't run my truck much anymore) I will put in Pro-line Foams tho cuz they look a lot stiffer.

Yeah, if i had more experience when i did it i would have double-wrapped also. Fortunately, the single-wrap seems to have worked pretty well so I'm not gonna take apart the beadlocks until winter & double-wrap.
sorry 2 hear that u don't run the savage much!:crying:

If I had a savage, it would also be sitting. The only time I run lately is at NLMD events. Just don't have the time anymore. My daughter has an insane cheerleading schedule and that just screws everything up because she's only 5 and I have to take her and wait for her, etc.

btw, I have a Revo and a Maxx. The Maxx has the Zombies on it and I have a new motor on it that I haven't had a chance to break in yet. But, I am thinking about making it a BB whenever I get some extra cash.

They work good under power. I had mine on my basher for a while with a LRP and 3spd, and hit 3rd gear quite a few times. Held up great. They are on the shelf for now though.

I've had a good, solid 3 weeks of running this set up (little more than a gallon through it) and i am very pleased with the results. I have run on asphalt, grass, hard-pack and soft sand (WOT most of the time) and the tires have not distorted or turned to 'pizza-cutters' once. the single-wrap of tape held up perfectly.
Very good set up and imo the foams had a lot to do with it, in addition to the tape. i would recommend.

I've had a good, solid 3 weeks of running this set up (little more than a gallon through it) and i am very pleased with the results. I have run on asphalt, grass, hard-pack and soft sand (WOT most of the time) and the tires have not distorted or turned to 'pizza-cutters' once. the single-wrap of tape held up perfectly.
Very good set up and imo the foams had a lot to do with it, in addition to the tape. i would recommend.

With the pro-line foams the distort action is nullified enough to not need tape. I want to see a tire with OFNA foams (orange please) So you will have them at the next bash right? Thanks in advance Freddy....:stickpoke:
Freddy I also fixed one of you pics (broken link)

Last edited by a moderator:
With the pro-line foams the distort action is nullified enough to not need tape. I want to see a tire with OFNA foams (orange please) So you will have them at the next bash right? Thanks in advance Freddy....:stickpoke:
Freddy I also fixed one of you pics (broken link)

:resp: :resp: :resp: :resp: :resp: :resp:

Update on Zombies

since ive bought & run the zombies, ive had my F modded & now run a modded picco and here are my findings:

i really wanted to like and love this tire and they seemed to hook up pretty well on grass, dirt, etc when i ran a stock F mill.

Now that I'm running more power and asking the zombies to provide the kinda grip that my mills can dish out, they are just not up to the task.

Zombies look kool & grab the asphalt (what doesnt) but you run em on the street & they're not gonna last you very long. if your running on grass or dirt, you can give your buds a good show throwing sand & grass rooster tails, but you will lose most of your power to spinning wheels when you want to run.

so, imo/experience the losi zombie is on the expensive side and will not provide the kind of grip you can expect from a proline mulcher or badland tire.

Ok guys, school me here;

Why is ballooning bad? I've always thought that once your tire expands vertically it will help with top-end speed. . . is it a traction issue?

Ok guys, school me here;

Why is ballooning bad? I've always thought that once your tire expands vertically it will help with top-end speed. . . is it a traction issue?

From what i understand ballooning makes your truck taller at high speed raising COG, reduces the contact patch between tyre/ground, can make your truck unstable and topple over when one side balloons more than the other etc etc but as you say it has the benefit of extra top speed.

I first used tape in my big Joes and the difference was awesome, very little ballooning and the truck was much more stable, i now tape all my tyres and wouldnt run them any other way.

brandon the badlands come with molded foams so you are good there and as for taping them i wouldnt. i have 2 sets off badlands one taped and the other not taped, i like the untaped set alot better. they don't ballon much anyways

they don't ballon much anyways

he' have more juice tho mickey (ercm mod 4.6ho) so his will ballon more ;)

try the taping if your interested to try; not so sure i'll tape nymore either.

brandon the badlands come with molded foams so you are good there and as for taping them i wouldnt. i have 2 sets off badlands one taped and the other not taped, i like the untaped set alot better. they don't ballon much anyways

Ok thanks mickey, i ordered the badlands and maximizers last night (couldn't find a good set of 1/2" offset dish rims LOL) they should be here in 7 days ill tell you what happens :)

Latest posts

Members online

Back