Zip Tie Fuel Lid Handle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarnish

Airbrush wannabe.
The Zip Tie Fuel Handle

Got looking at the Kyosho and thought it was a great idea to have the hole cut over top of the fuel lid, but the angle of the lid was gonna cut my hand to shreds reaching in there without a handle.

I'm cheap. So instead of paying $4.79 for an Ofna one from Tower Hobbies or paying $5.99 for 2 Losi ones from Horizon Hobby, I made one for myself with 2 Zip ties from Home Depot where $2.29 buys me a bag of 10 Zips, enough to make 5 pullers.

This is the bag:

Ties.jpg

Prep Work:

FirstTie.jpg

SecondTie.jpg

Now, take the first zip tie and attach it to the edge bar of the fuel tank lid, BUT do it so that the zipper edge faces down when folded across the top of the tank.

That means you shove the tail of the zip down through the with the zip UP when when you bend it across the tank to connect it, the zip will be facing DOWN.

Once that's on, NOT TOO TIGHT since it spins on the end of the fuel lid, take the second zip tie and slowly feed it onto the end of the tie you just attached.

With both pieces on, it should look like this:
MountedPuller.jpg

With the body on, I checked it out for function and then I trimmed the end down some after I slowly moved the second zip tie head to an appropriate position.

Success.jpg

I used nail clippers to trim the zip tie, but I left some of the tie on the end of the finished pull, so that when I am just driving around, I can tuck that inside the body and not have the tie flying all over the place like a rodeo cowboy. Then I looked closer at the picture and trimmed my own nails.
TailFunction.jpg

This is what it looks like when tucked in.
Finallook.jpg

On the bright side, if the first attempt gets messed up and you aren't happy you can just cut it off and try again with 2 more zip ties, since 10 came in the package.

Cheers.

I did the same on my trucks, but I added a piece of fuel tubing to get from pushing cut one you use as the handle. I used narrower zip ties, so the fuel tubing was the perfect size.

I agree, it's more fun to make your own.

I did the same on my trucks, but I added a piece of fuel tubing to get from pushing cut one you use as the handle. I used narrower zip ties, so the fuel tubing was the perfect size.

I did the same as you just described..

yeah.. this is the correct way of doing it. Check the fuel tank pic...

Thanks Tarn!

I love the handles, they make fueling alot easier. Although on mine I used an old pullstart handle on the end.

kinda hard to see in the pic but you get the idea. Oh btw in I used a piece of fuel tube between the handle and the lid.
small.jpg

Thanks Tarn!

I love the handles, they make fueling alot easier. Although on mine I used an old pullstart handle on the end.

kinda hard to see in the pic but you get the idea. Oh btw in I used a piece of fuel tube between the handle and the lid.
small.jpg

i think its time for a little bath! LOL

i think its time for a little bath! LOL

Just alittle :) LoL
That was last year, I was lucky enough to meet some of the members in Houston. Even Hop! Nick (sunkenmetal) found a great place to hang out for the day. In the end I didn't break anything though so I thought I'd get alittle dirty :)

She's clean now. Due to the complete tear down I ended up doing a budget mid-tank after that.

DSCN1324small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
ive been doing the ziptie/fuel tube handle for years, maybe before they were even "in style" lol, but i really the pull start handle idea, i never thought of that....I'm gonna do it right now!

Latest posts

Members online

Back