XL Wide Axle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

romper4444

Anyone know if the XL 17mm wide axles are a direct bolt on to the x versions? The diameter seems to be the same, just a longer shank with a collar in between the bearing and axle pin/hex. Seems like the easiest/cheapest way to widen the X? Just thought I'd ask is anyone's tried it before I drop some cash, Thanks guys! Hpi # is 86249, axles are still 8X11mm, but 56mm in length instead of 44mm??

I'm curious to hear about the added stress the extended axles adds. Has anyone with the XL had any problems. Have heard other aftermarket extensions add quite a bit of stress to the bearings and other parts.

I'm curious to hear about the added stress the extended axles adds. Has anyone with the XL had any problems. Have heard other aftermarket extensions add quite a bit of stress to the bearings and other parts.

The bearings are holding up ok on my xl... but I'm sure they will not hold up as long as the they would with the X axles...

Aren't the drive cups on the XL bigger for a dog bone with a wider/bigger ball 'end' (sorry can't think of the words...)???

Yes Alex you are right. To run them you have to step up all the drive cups and dogbones

so bearings are same, but need XL drive cups all around and dogs. i thought the XL just had the super HD dogs and axles, which are like a stage 3 upgrade for the Savy X, you can upgrade to the HD or the super HD, or am I just mixing up my hop-ups here, I thought all XL fits on X stuff, like I could just add super HD cups with stock bones or other way around???
I'd love some pics.

that is just to upgrade to XL HD specs, but not the wide axle conversion, this is what I'm talking about, but will it fit my truck, if the axle size is the same, it should unless the cup joint has a bigger diameter as to fit the XL's bigger ball end of the dogbone?? I always thought that all the hd and super hd stuff was just stronger/better forged metal, or the shaft part of the bone is thicker but not the bone end. here is the link
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/86249.html part #86249
I really want this to work, as it seems to be the most reliable way to widen the X, and it really needs it too, I think it will do wonders for the handling and stability of truck, eventually I might go to RPM max offset wheels, or a 40series offset. It would be nice to have both, for a wide X like never before! New rims and tires are just to pricey for right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
that is just to upgrade to XL HD specs, but not the wide axle conversion, this is what I'm talking about, but will it fit my truck, if the axle size is the same, it should unless the cup joint has a bigger diameter as to fit the XL's bigger ball end of the dogbone?? I always thought that all the hd and super hd stuff was just stronger/better forged metal, or the shaft part of the bone is thicker but not the bone end. here is the link
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/86249.html part #86249
I really want this to work, as it seems to be the most reliable way to widen the X, and it really needs it too, I think it will do wonders for the handling and stability of truck, eventually I might go to RPM max offset wheels, or a 40series offset. It would be nice to have both, for a wide X like never before! New rims and tires are just to pricey for right now.

No, the axles you linked to require the XL dogs and XL diff input cups to be able to use on another Savage.

If you look at the bottom of the page you linked to, there is a compatibility chart which shows they are only compatible with the XL kit (there are no other models listed).

Actually, your best bet to do it on a budget is actually to go for offset wheels and either re-use or buy new tyres as required for the wheels. The offset wheels I have are 1 inch offset (I think) , so a lot wider than just the XL axles on standard tyres anyway.
If you want to upgrade the axles you might find the bits you need on eBay at a better price, stripped from 5.9 XL's. But you'll need to buy new fluids and gaskets for when you dismantle the diffs too (but ultimately you'll need these anyway for maintenance).

Interestingly, the kit Sunk linked you to seems to have standard length axles (ie non-extended) which will fit XL dogbones... which is very interesting...

Well, I was at the LHS on Friday and low and behold they had every part(X2) to do the complete conversion. I do need to buy the XL's long extended super HD axles, X2, two packages of XL dogbones, 2 packs of inner XL drive cups. the outer axles come with the purple alum. spacers and w/nuts, BUT! If I remember correctly, and I could have mixed this up with the X's HD axles as I was looking a a whole whack of packages, but teh outer axles are right and left hand threads, they come with the proper w/nuts, but the stock X rims require that flanged type of w/nut that work on Pro-line style racing rims. Why would they include it like that, did I not know that the XL comes with the HPi 17mm upgraded pro-line style hex nuts? Anyway its out of the question as it roughly priced out to $160 plus tax, I could get Maximizer offset rims and 40series tires for that. God HPI stuff is way overpriced sometimes, My Losi Ramminator upgrades are waaaayyy cheaper, that ticks me right off!! Oh Well, do you guys know if any of those extended hex nut kits from say amximizer are any good??

just to reply to a short part of that last post. HPI did away with the left hand thread axles long ago.. anything with these is not even X parts.

Also anything on HPIs site is Full price. They don't want you to buy from them but give you the option. That kit can be found for 50 bucks. Here it is for 60 http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-100415-Supe...-axle-set_W0QQitemZ250253180510QQcmdZViewItem that is a good upgrade! add the wide axals if you wish. But I run offset rims. The doggies are beefy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Back