xl break in this afternoon went wrong

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lee24752000

I posted up a thread in the welcome lounge earlier,i just receved a savage xl and decided to break it in,well it started and ran for a very short time,i mean short and it seized up,the bloody thing wasnt even warm,i think the conrod must have let go or something,anyone ever had this??ive ran in loads of engines and never a problem:duh:

Hold on buddy. Your problem may not be serious at all. With new motors they will stick at Top Dead Center. The rolo will not break it loose more than likely. Just get a hold of the flywheel and roll it, it may take some force but it should go. This problem is worse with some engine as to others this is no problem the larger these things get the worse it gets.

This problem will usually only last threw 3/8 to maybe 1/2 gallon.

Let us know back if there is anything else.

hi,thanks for the reply,i did turn the flywheel it moved abit and something inside the engine seems adrift its making a noise in there,i took the plug out,and the piston wasnt moving,the flywheel moves slightly so i left it,wasnt sure how much to move it,the piston is up the top.shall i give it a good turn and try it?

crack the plug on start up and use a hair drier before cranking it.
pull the motor out and take off the back plate. If it has let go take pictures and call customer service at hpi. they will help you out. be NICE!

Last edited by a moderator:
I got that motor cheap caz the kid thought the same thing... lol

Anyways don't force a locked up motor!!! loosen the glow plug and let the extra fuel out of it and it will turn over again. forcing it from the flywheel can ruin the bearing on the con rod and case failure soon down the road.

1. heat the mill b4 start up. blow dryer / heat gun
2. don't prime it full leave a air gap about a inch or better b4 the carb
3. turn in the HSN 1 full turn from the factory setting.
4. Crack the plug a half turn start and tighten it slowly after it will run off the igniter. If you have a hot shot 2 you can snug it with it still on then give it a final tighten with you wrench B4 you drive it.

That mill can be a bear but doing these 4 things will keep this from happening and you will be run in in no time.

Try to enjoy...

ive pulled the engine out,it has defo seized up ,i haven't yet remove the backing plate,was going to contact the model shop first befoe i strip it,bit fed up to be honest,ive had nitro cars for over 10 years,never had a problem,this is the first time.
i can turn the flywheel a small amount but the pistons not moving,the small amount i can turn it feels rough.

The one I got was the same way.. it may not be seized tightest nitro mill I have ever seen. Look thru the exhaust port see any damage?

Good point ill have a look.will get back to you,how am i supposed to free the bugger off though?warm it?

you lot are stars,poped the exhaust off,no damage,warmed it up,it spun over,its just tight up the top,very tight,ill warm it up as much as i can first then like you said start the bugger.thanks very much,ideal this site is great i was worried,never had that hapen to me,o well job sorted cheers

Ok will do that,no problem,thanks again.
going off topic abit,i noticed th rear wheels seem abit out of shape,ive taken them off and there sitting flush,i don't know what affect this will have on it when its runnning?
If i could get all of you a beer i would:resp:

What ya mean? sitting flush? Its your thread so apologize to yourself... Post a pic if ya can.. IMG code on photobucket works in the forum.

if you spin the rear wheels by hand they seem to be abit bend i suppose,as if there not sitting on the hex flat,i don't mean up and down out of shape,not like a flat spot on the tyre,the other way around,side to side.i don't think you would see it in a picture.

Got yea... They wobble side to side.

Run them and see how they break in. I don't run tarra pins. To big for my tastes but unless its extreme you probably wont even know. The foams could be shifted a bit in the tire and will flex into place once you run them. If not the case post back..

Ok will do that,no problem,thanks again.
going off topic abit,i noticed th rear wheels seem abit out of shape,ive taken them off and there sitting flush,i don't know what affect this will have on it when its runnning?
If i could get all of you a beer i would:resp:

lee, welcome to the forum & i can see that the bro's here have you well on your way to straightening out your situation. now about that beer that you're offerin'..............you-->:cheers:<--hpisf, lol

ideal thanks again.
i do have others here,i might try them instead.
take care and thanks for all your help,its been amazing,hope to speak soon.lets hope i manage to get her running tommorow,I'm sure i will.

i know those stock tires (terra pins) have a lot of body roll and the foam sometimes get out of wack but after you drive it for a while you will notice that it will go away

haha i like the beer.well i started it after work tonite without any problems,and ran a tank through it.so I'm very pleased,thanks for the tyre info,ill give it a try friday and see how they are.

Latest posts

Members online

Back