XL 5.9 Or something else?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkattack99

iv been thinking about it for some time now and i had an x 4.6 its now BL, but i kind of miss the Nitro even though i thought it was a pain in the *** i want one again.

i was thinking about getting another savage x 4.6 rtr selling the motor and putting something with more kick in it, but after thinking about it after i do the HD upgrades to the x to handle the extra power i could have just gotten an xl with the HD stuff already and the 3 speed.

so my question is should i keep the 5.9 and run it till I'm either pulling my hair out (cause i hear they are a problem engine) or sell it on ebay new and put somthing better in? (suggestions if you say sell it) i was thinking of selling it brand new and getting an LRP 30 spec 2? any suggestions would be helpful thanks.

shark

i vote that you but a set of tvps from platinum rc & all the other parts off e-bay.

buy only the parts you want, then buy the mill you really want.

yeah i was looking at that too but i think I'm going with the xl. i was also looking at the just the xss, but i desided for me would be easier to get an RTR for now.

getting more help in this forum then the others i went to, just got critizism from the other forums. thanks for the help and suggestions guys.

so why the lrp .28 or a picco .28?

Id do a full custom build and don't buy anything that comes in a box. Also stay away from that 5.9 turd

just got critizism from the other forums

We don't play that way here.

As for your question. .28 mills seem to make better power and rpm across the board. They will usually out perform .30 mills. Both the LRP and piccos have great power out of the box. The only downfall the LRP has from what I have heard it is hard to get parts for.

I say if you already have a truck the ground up custom build is your best bet but if you don't want to go that route than the xss is your best bet. Sell the 5.9 and get a lrp or picco .28. The build isn't bad and you can make sure everything is together right

i vote that you but a set of tvps from platinum rc & all the other parts off e-bay.

buy only the parts you want, then buy the mill you really want.

i agree totally.......to be honest it might be cheaper building from scratch. build what YOU want.....but the 5.9 is a nono (unless i see what the ERCM pipe does for the 5.9 this weekend :-D)

yeah i was looking at that too but i think I'm going with the xl. i was also looking at the just the xss, but i desided for me would be easier to get an RTR for now.

getting more help in this forum then the others i went to, just got critizism from the other forums. thanks for the help and suggestions guys.

its funny you say that,i've seen a guy ask a few "beginner" questions and the poor guy got flamed and was asked if he smart enough to read because there was a thread on it somewere and to find it himself more or less,haven't been there since.. were all here to help one another to get the most out of this hobby so always feel free to ask questions here.and its just my opinion but a 28 engine will give you more "thrills" lol then a 30 anyday,you will get a bit more top end "speed" from a 30 but a 28 will walk all over a 30 in bottom end "take off"

Last edited by a moderator:
well so are the ss kits pretty easy to build? (from a noob point of veiw). i don't think I'm ready to build one from scratch just yet only been in the hobbie for a year now. and why are RTR's so bad or not as good as from scratch?

so basically for bashing which is what i will be doing with it and jumps and all that jazz, the 28 is freakin sweet for that? and for speed runs the 30 would be better which i probably won't do.

i had a feeling the 5.9 was hated for the most part,lol

well i was thinking it was just me cause iv seen simalar post about there build and how there going to make and what parts there going to use and they get prasied or complimented on.

i was to afraid to buy the kit lol i went rtr and honestly i should have went with the kit,mind you mine is just the x not the xl but the amount of upgrades that come with the kit make it a pretty sweet deal and i've seen a few fairly young people here build one without to much problems...i wished i had!!the rtr's arent bad but there just the "economy" version so to speak without the bells and whistles lol but the ss kits give you the basic upgrades to install which you would likely do anyway with a rtr and you will know your savage from top to bottom if you build it yourself!!!

well so are the ss kits pretty easy to build? (from a noob point of veiw). i don't think I'm ready to build one from scratch just yet only been in the hobbie for a year now. and why are RTR's so bad or not as good as from scratch?

so basically for bashing which is what i will be doing with it and jumps and all that jazz, the 28 is freakin sweet for that? and for speed runs the 30 would be better which i probably won't do.

i had a feeling the 5.9 was hated for the most part,lol

well i was thinking it was just me cause iv seen simalar post about there build and how there going to make and what parts there going to use and they get prasied or complimented on.

That's correct. The .28 is the way to go.

RTR's are ok but guys here tend to make them better and stronger that a RTR. If you look at it as a money thing, building from scratch is way cheaper and you get the parts you want. If you go RTR and build from there then you will spend more. Besides people on here can help you out and also it's good experience to build your own. I personally learned more about my truck and the hobby building my own.

this is my 2nd home cuz the ppl here are GREAT!!!! and when building any kit is easy as long as you take you time and don't rush it, we're always here to help.

eric....

yeah i think i will try the xss kit with the 5.9 and sell it get an lrp .28 thanks guys.

try my hand at building one

Sounds like a good plan ,,, My first savage was a kit and I had no issues building it. the directions are a picture book (dummy proof)

yeah & its a matter of choice really, if you have a year experience (or less) and access to this forum, then you have the ability to build your own from parts.

from what i seen with CTD's Xss, they come with some decent upgrade parts. less the k5.9

yeah & its a matter of choice really, if you have a year experience (or less) and access to this forum, then you have the ability to build your own from parts.

from what i seen with CTD's Xss, they come with some decent upgrade parts. less the k5.9

Man everybody is dissing my 5.9 haha, thats ok though :-(

The kit did come with some stuff you'll want in the long run. I think Tower is populating an order currently. Don't think you'll find it on ebay YET, and stormer well let me check.... it is "on order" but I bet tower will get them well before stormer does. It is cheaper on stormer, $440 vs $500 on tower, but I can send you a $60 off coupon for tower if you want it. Just PM me
Boo Yah!!!!! :highfive:

Man stormer still has 2 of them ss w/o engine kits for $200... if those were X's that may be the way to go, oh well.

I would consider piecing one together, but I know I'd forget some parts (as would probably everybody), so my one night build start to finish would turn into weeks waiting for my forgoten parts to show up, haha, and I'm not that patient :)

Man everybody is dissing my 5.9 haha, thats ok though :-(

I felt the same way when I got mine LOL! Now with my heavier wheels and tires I think I'm gonna start saving for a motor. It's gonna be quite a while probably, but I'm thinkin' ERCM modded Picco. I want nutty power that no one can touch. Hopefully I'll be back to work in a couple months and I can make this happen. Then once I pay off my debt I want a Baja 5T. It never ends LOL.

i've read the 5.9 isnt all that bad, i think alot of the problem is hpi built up the hype on it to the point were people were thinking it was gonna be a absolute powerhouse and its fell short!!!

i can hardly wait to get it, its like a kid in a candy store, lol.

well with a little luck and some help from you guys should be a peice of cake.

so for those platinum products how do you order there stuff? thinking of getting there TVPs and center skid plate. si carbon fiber really stronger then aluminum?

sorry this probably isn't the spot for this question, but i had this thread started didn't feel the need to start a new one.

well now that i decided on what to get what pipe would compliment the motor? CB, Flywheel and clutch shoes? use the ones in the box (savage x ss kit) or suggestions for better ones?

well now that i decided on what to get what pipe would compliment the motor? CB, Flywheel and clutch shoes? use the ones in the box (savage x ss kit) or suggestions for better ones?

which mill? you talked about selling the k5.9 for something else.

Latest posts

Members online

Back