X tranny in a older .21 ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awya14

I wanted to buy a 3 speed and have an extra 2 speed ..ebay has a few cheap right now ...will an "X" 2-3 speed fit in my ol savy?

buy the X SS tranny then buy the 3 speed. Best setup will work. Just did it for my savage and I have the Original 2 savages. With the X SS tranny you 3 screws will take the top off w/o pulling the tranny out and be able to get to the gears. Ebay everything.

By the way I should give credit where it's due. It was Jt our Super Moderator who helped me out with this.

threres a few "pre assembled" 3 speeds on ebay for $70-$80 us ...they say "for x-xss" but how do you know its the reall xss 1? is there a part # for the specific?
I heard the x 3 speed had to be torn apart to get at the 1st 2nd shift screw

on the X ss tranny the top comes off to get to the 1st and 2nd gear grub screw to set it. 3 screws is the easiest way to do. Top comes straight off.

Let me get Jt to help out with the ebay thing for ya.

right on ..thanks for all the help..I will wait to see which 1 is best..( I like the pre assembled 1 )

ya thats the 1 I'm watchin..so ur sayin thats not the 1 I want?
How bad is the stock shift time? does it really need to be changed?

Depends in engine and gearing, and how you want it to shift. I think from the factory they are set for a .25 engine, and to change it after its been installed (in the truck), you would need to remove one side TVP and remove the tranny. The the xss tranny...you take out the 4 side top screws and the 3 top screws (7 total screws) and pull out the gear set

hum..so it still seems like a pain in the butt..either way...I think I will just leave it stock for a while and if it needs to be adjusted do so later ..thanks again for all the help..

I just assembled my 3 speed with the xss case. Much better way to go, it's as easy as you can get it on the savage. Remove 3 screws pull off the lid and make the adjustments. I don't know how you guys can stand using the old 25 case with a 3 speed.

Much better way to go, it's as easy as you can get it on the savage. Remove 3 screws pull off the lid and make the adjustments.

Not sure how you are just removing 3 screws when the transmission is installed on the truck?!...the 4 side top screws need to be removed along with the top 3 screws.

8e3c251d.jpg

I forgot about those, it's still way easier to adjust the shift points. Either way you go you still need to remove the tvp when first installing the tranny. I was referring to how much easier it was to adjust the 2nd to 3rd shift point.

Members online

No members online now.
Back