X-spede steering block

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clifffff

I just got this steering block made by X-spede. Looks pretty decent. Comes with 4 ball bearings. It also allows for a little adjustment. I will update after installing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 11
Interesting Some questions.
1. What is the total weight (without hardware)
2. How does the plate rotate on the arm? Bushing, bearing, step screw?
3. It looks like the posts are bearing based ((the four that come with it), can you confirm ?

I'm interested due to the Ackerman settings it provides.

Please post pic with ackerman settings once mounted so I can see the angles. Nice find.

Steering assemblies are incredibly important so want to see how it fits. Check the steering links don't bind on the plate or hub spindle during full down-travel (you can use cone washer on it if it does) like below.
washer.png

Attachments

• washer 2.png
    washer 2.png
    63 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Yes they are bearing supported. The package actually includes the 4 bearings needed as well as the necessary bolts.

The X-spede steering posts weigh 46 grams.

It will be a while before I can post the pics you want because my 2nd savage is still incomplete and has got no wheels. But check these out pix for now:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 16
Okay, thank you. Yes, I want to see how the steering link angles are changed. While I've not had durability issues with stock, it can be much smoother so definitely want to check this out.

Changing the stock plate bushings definitely smooths it out, however, it requires more maintenance as the current design is target rich for the bearings to be penetrated. Looking for something to protect the bearings more. BTW, I like that cv joint in the rear. I've got some old OFNA ones that work well. (y)

Last edited:
Looks like the screws holding the arms on the ackerman plate are using bushings. Would be nice to see bearings used there. Bushings on alloy tend to wear pretty quick and then you end up with slop. Probably a good idea to measure those before you finish final assembly so you can have a few bushings on hand down the line.

I fight with that on my stampede 4x4. There's so little movement in the pivots for full steering lock that any slop in the steering causes the truck to wander all over the place. It doesn't have near the movement the savage does though, so odds are, a little slop won't be so noticeable.

Here are some pictures. I am not sure if they help show the steering angles properly...AF3D4517-D641-44BB-8397-6E39F82A4CDE.jpegAF3D4517-D641-44BB-8397-6E39F82A4CDE.jpegAF3D4517-D641-44BB-8397-6E39F82A4CDE.jpegA3D838DD-EF46-467C-A9DC-2A7675009DB3.jpegAF3D4517-D641-44BB-8397-6E39F82A4CDE.jpeg46E4A4AF-BFF6-4A21-BC05-94C06EDCA748.jpeg

Attachments

• 6DB83A18-1EA9-42D6-94BB-5EC41EA4BAC4.jpeg
    6DB83A18-1EA9-42D6-94BB-5EC41EA4BAC4.jpeg
    302.4 KB · Views: 1
  • BED3D7DA-9C6E-4FFC-835E-0CBD53EA73AF.jpeg
    BED3D7DA-9C6E-4FFC-835E-0CBD53EA73AF.jpeg
    736.2 KB · Views: 1
  • EAFBDAF6-7267-4605-827F-577BA06E2420.jpeg
    EAFBDAF6-7267-4605-827F-577BA06E2420.jpeg
    581.1 KB · Views: 1
That's a purdy savage. I'd revisit that linkage though. Do you bash/jump this truck much? What pipe/header is that?
Yup it gets plenty of jumping. What, yours don't?

Could ya be more specific about the linkage? What do you think is wrong?

Your last question: The exhaust is hipex 2034. Hipex makes 99.9 percent of genuine efra numbered exhausts. They just get rebranded and distributed under different names.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 2
I didn't mean anythign bad about it. Most threads you come across for big MT's that people put arms on are warned against jumping it much since aluminum bends and/or takes out other parts with it in a crash. Wasn't sure if this was just a shelf queen or not. It's a nice looking truck regardless.

For me, I like to keep the linkages closer to the chassis. The brake/throttle sliders can usually be stacked on the servo arm (one on top, the other on the bottom) using the same bolt. Then you put it on a hole in the servo horn so that the wires are parallel with the chassis. Also, the wires are kind of long. Well, the brake wire is.

How I had mine on a savage in the past:
2008-1030-SavageThrottleLinkage.jpg

I didn't have the nice sliders when I changed the linkage on my current X, so it's kind of setup more like yours where I use two holes on the arm and the brake wire is further out:
2013-0316-SavageX-TankSideHigh.jpg

Thanks for the tip about the linkage. I don't get to jump that much too be honest. I got fast lane machine aluminium suspension. Apparently they are the hardest on the market but you are definitely right that they might bend out of shape.

No not a shelf bitch. That thing runs 2 hours every day almost no exception. I treat it with love and nothing else. But My oldest boy...he just had to replace the left arm for running into the tree 3 times in a row...

No not a shelf bitch. That thing runs 2 hours every day almost no exception. I treat it with love and nothing else. But My oldest boy...he just had to replace the left arm for running into the tree 3 times in a row...

There's a simple fix to stop that happening, just remove the tree! :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back