Woobling bevel gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unicorn87

Me again with problems

I put diff together to shim, and found out that if i spin bevel gear with cup on screwdriver bevel gear wooble around 0,5mm is that normal(i think it is not)?

Looks like it is problem in alloy diff cup,cause i have one new cup and no problems with it.I have problem with cups which were heated and hold with calipers to unscrew bewel screws(i did not squeze a lot with them) and doesnt look damaged.
I was thinking that it is problem cause heating i mostly heat diff cup in one place?Any thoughts i want to resolve this cause look like i destroy 2 old cups and one brand new cup from brand new diff..?

Anyone have same problem?

If you had to replace the ring or pinion gear, I would replace the bearings also. I think they are $1 a piece at SMF if you want to order them. My LHS bangs like $5 each so I order them.

Ya i have new bearings.I just want to open them clean and put silicone oil in there but now bevel gear woble like 0.5mm let and right.
Looks like i destroyet alloy cups with heating or either calipers i just don't want to repeat same mistake..

Why did you heat them and hold them with calipers (I assume you are talking about vise-grips or channel locks or something right?).

This is what you need.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93481

If you haven't used one before, the idea is to strike with a hammer, the handle compresses down towards the tip, and when it is full compressed the bit will rotate like an 1/8th of a turn. Here is the thing though. You don't use a hammer, just press real hard by hold it with your hand, and once you are pressing your hardest and get the thing compressed it will snap an 1/8th of a turn or so breaking the locktite, then you can remove with your regular screwdriver.

SMF is out of those beaings. Also I think he is selling all his stuff and closing the store. Anybody else know a good place to get bearings on the cheap?

Why did you heat them and hold them with calipers (I assume you are talking about vise-grips or channel locks or something right?).

Cause those 4 sucker are loctited as hell,imposible to get them out..what can i say noob stupidity..

You saw the tool I posted right?...

Just make sure you are using a new clean philips bit of the right size (I think they use a #2?), the tool I posted, or better yet both :)

Don't need to clamp them or heat them or anything.

And then reassemble with blue loctite, not red.

Thanks for the tip CTD, never used one of those before. I had the same problem with my from diff. The screws were a real pain to loosen and one of them got stripped. I just used a cut-off wheel in my dremel to make a slot in the head of the screw. Worked fine, in fact, I reused that screw for now until my new ones get here.

The dremel slot is a good tip, but usually it is hard to pull that one off on a flat head screw with out cutting into the material that it is recessed into. I would use that technique for a button head, cap head, etc.

This tool will make your life easier though. Basically you just concentrate on pushing straight in and not worry about rotating the the screwdriver at the same time.

Members online

Back