Will It help or hurt my motors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cwheeling

I have the kershaw designs revolver 700 motor setup on an e-savage w/2s lipos and these motors get very warm(I have not taken any temps yet)after short runs on the track. I am wondering if I used 2 of these
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYVB4&P=SM
with a y harness would that help. I have one for my flux and checked the size(dia.) and its perfect. I will block one vent on the motor but the fans will be right on top of another and there will be one open vent on the bottom. If this is totally stupid please set me straight! If not I can run some temp checks and post them to see if these fans do what they say! Also they will look really cool on the truck. Thanks
:dunno:

This is my experience with the Fan shrouds and motor temps. Fan shrouds help but not a whole lot. I have taken before and after temperatures and only seen 10 degree change if any at all. Th shroud will draw minimal energy from your batteries and will not be that big of a deal. Porting your body to allow air to go through the body is a better solution to cooling but dirt, mud, and water is an enemy. Warm is ok but hot is not. Now if you had your motor for a while it may be time to change your bearings in the motor. Is your gearing a basher or drag setup. Pinion and spur gear setup is an important factor in Motor temps.

This is my experience with the Fan shrouds and motor temps. Fan shrouds help but not a whole lot. I have taken before and after temperatures and only seen 10 degree change if any at all. Th shroud will draw minimal energy from your batteries and will not be that big of a deal. Porting your body to allow air to go through the body is a better solution to cooling but dirt, mud, and water is an enemy. Warm is ok but hot is not. Now if you had your motor for a while it may be time to change your bearings in the motor. Is your gearing a basher or drag setup. Pinion and spur gear setup is an important factor in Motor temps.

You have some very good points, age of motors unknown, gearing I will check,and I am not sure if these motors are serviceable? The height of the motor setup/w fans would allow a hole at the windshield to have a heavy flow of air traveling right to the fans.Might be worth giving this a shot.Thanks for the advice

Anyone got a chart or anything that indicates safe operating ranges for electric motors or anything like that?

Joe makes good points and I'm thinkin it would be helpful to peeps to know the degree ranges between "warm" & "hot"

Anyone got a chart or anything that indicates safe operating ranges for electric motors or anything like that?

Joe makes good points and I'm thinkin it would be helpful to peeps to know the degree ranges between "warm" & "hot"

I know this because my son's E Revo brushless has a chart for recommended pinion to spur ration and application.
What is the tooth count on your Spur and Pinion?
Also what kind of batteries are you running? It may cause your motor to struggle due to lack of power of the battery using.

i like your idea. wonder if you can work a deal with this guy to save a few bucks on shipping or something http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370360436155

Fred this is where I got mine from, I ordered 2 from him, the second ships free. His communication stunk as I asked him if they had shipped 3 times with no response but did receive them yesterday and did buy it now last Sunday.

These would help your motors, I just am not sure how much. Those motors did get worm for me but I didn't feel they were to hot. You can add the fans I would think they would help also venting the body will help probably more but if both done may be optimal. Obviously Heat is Electrics worst enemy.

I used my temp gun for nitro engine to test electric motors core and at the slipper

200 is "Hot" and will cause failure and void warranty.

My MMM runs about 115-145 with (2) 3S 5250 MHA 45C batteries; continuous WOT down the football field and back.

From a little research the brushed motor shouldn't climb past about 180*F and 80*C.

With the 2 700 motors mine is far from stock/w 2s 4000 zippy packs
gearing is 25t pinion and 66t spur.
The heat thing is my main concern, if I want to go fast I will drive my flux.
Sounds like I need to check temps w/o fans and try it again w/fans and let you know my results. Also about the heatsinks. Will they fit?? Thanks guys for all the input! I knew I was at the right place here!!!!:FarleyParty:

With the 2 700 motors mine is far from stock/w 2s 4000 zippy packs
gearing is 25t pinion and 66t spur.
The heat thing is my main concern, if I want to go fast I will drive my flux.
Sounds like I need to check temps w/o fans and try it again w/fans and let you know my results. Also about the heatsinks. Will they fit?? Thanks guys for all the input! I knew I was at the right place here!!!!:FarleyParty:

Try a 18 pinion with a 54, 56, 58, 62 or 65 spur.
I think your 25t pinion is causing your motor to work hard

Just to add an update to this thread! I checked my temps and my esc is around 150f and my motors are about 130f to 140f so I am good on temps. I still wanted to add the fans for the look effect but the magnet in the brushed motor is too strong for the little fan to work. I contacted Castle just to verify my findings and they confirmed that! I am working on someway to offset the fans and still have them look ok. I will let you know soon about that setup! If I get this to work I will post some pics( I know you guys love pics!)

I had everything together and the fans were powered up but when you ran the motors the fans stopped! This mission was a failure! The truck runs great so now I have 2 cc blowers to mount on something! Go figure, On to the next project! Thanks for the comments

Latest posts

Members online

Back