Why is the mid tank better??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Byron

I don't quite understand the benefit from the stock set up?? Why would the location of the tank have anything to do with a leaning out issue??

The tank itself is what really helps with the 1/2 tank lean...if that's all you want to take care of, you can just mount another tank without a step (like the New Era kit) in the stock location. The other benefits from a mid-tank conversion include better weight distribution (more weight up front to keep the wheelies down), and it protects the tank itself MUCH better.

Plus, it looks great too! =P

Why does the stock tank cause it to go lean? I thought it just holds fuel?

byron, the position and shape of the stock gas tank work against fuel pressure

its lower than carb with a shelf

byron, the position and shape of the stock gas tank work against fuel pressure

its lower than carb with a shelf

I used a HellFire Tank Mounted in the stock position...its not as tall, and has a good rectangular shape. its not as tall so the pick up sits higher...

It has gotten rid of my Mid Tank Lean.... and is only 10cc's smaller than the stock Savage Tank...

Is the hellfire a drop in, or do you have to modify it to get it to fit?

I actually have the same question as Byron. Will the Hellfire tank fit in the stock position on the Savage or will you need to mod? If it will take care of the 1/2 tank lean issue and all I'm losing is 10cc I'm good with that.

I used a HellFire Tank Mounted in the stock position...its not as tall, and has a good rectangular shape. its not as tall so the pick up sits higher...

It has gotten rid of my Mid Tank Lean.... and is only 10cc's smaller than the stock Savage Tank...

Sunkenmetal, give us some details on how it went installing the hellfire fuel tank in the savage stock position. You could be on to something here.

Sunkenmetal, give us some details on how it went installing the hellfire fuel tank in the savage stock position. You could be on to something here.

Sunkenmetal got back to me and told me that he used the Hellfire tank on the Savage XL not the Savage X. He modded the mount slightly with an aluminum bracket. He doesn't see why the tank wouldn't also work on the Savage X in the stock position with a little modding. I'm going to look at the tank and see what I can come up with. I'll repost any successes or failures.

Cool, I'll be checking back to see your progress. From all that I read there is no cure for the half-tank-lean issue but i'm trying to decide on a method to at least curb the affect. Thanks and keep us posted

I am trying out using Tamiya Nitrage fuel tank, will update u guys whether it will solve the 1/2 tank lean issue

the shape of the stock tank is what causes the halh tank lean .. ive switched to a 125cc ofna tank and have not had the prob since i hold a tune till i run out of gas .. tank is in the stock location

I just finished my tank mod, will test it tomorrow

sdd, that's a nice mod you did there.....see how your tank sits up in relation to your carb.....good gravity flow....also, good pics for other member's to follow. + rep.

eatvage,
good job with that thread you posted, great pictures with straight forward instructions. I'll be deciding which tank mod to use soon (before the snow hits). i'll post my results.

After I mod, test it, there were a carb flood problem, it always flood the carb, have hard time to start the engine! If the tank is too high, will it happen like flood the carb?

After I mod, test it, there were a carb flood problem, it always flood the carb, have hard time to start the engine! If the tank is too high, will it happen like flood the carb?

lean it up and don't over prime it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back