Why D.A. and not Isopropyl???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tazzman68

Ok, I have read over and over about using denatured alcohol to clean my Savvy with. My question is if DA is so expensive, why not use Isopropyl alcohol instead?
According to an article I read on "Ask a scientist" there really isn't too much difference.

I am taking a guess here and feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but Isopropyl alcohol is diluted with water. That is why it gives a %. The higher the %, the stronger the alchohol and the less water in the mix. Regardless, Isopropyl alcohol contains water and Denatured does not.

Ahhh, that would make sense. But just out of curiosity, would it be safe-ish to use the 90% (only 10% or less h2o) if all of the savvy's bath's were followed with a 90psi air bath?

If water is the enemy....... I don't know that I would risk it near the motor. The plastic and aluminum should be fine. I just feel better about using Denatured. Gets too pricey, clean less often lol

I have been using wd40 and air, this is what an old timer at the local track told me. Then I hear on here to use DA and that is what brought this on.

damn newbies and their stupid questions.....lol

LOL! tazz, I've been using WD40 as a cleaning agent for ever! Specially on the plastics! It really helps the hinge points, and gets things really clean! If a part is really dirty, sometimes I'll take some powdered comet and a bowl and clean it up with a tooth brush. That'll get every spec of dirt off of it. But make sure to rinse it well afterwards!

WD40 will help keep things clean. DA is really good for cleaning also, but rather expensive. :) Everyone has their own methods for cleaning, and this is mine.

i like to DA alot, but if the truck is really dirty, i spray simple green on it and then rinse with a hose and blow off the water with an airgun
remove the radio box/tray of course before you use the hose lol, but it really gets stuff clean, and wd40 is awesome because it dispels water in the bearings, hinge pins, etc. and shins up the plastics, plus your cleanup will be easier

2 parts denatured alcohol
1 part simple green
1 cap full wd40
always shake the bottle prior to use
if you have a air compressor then use it if not just let it air dry

Cool, so what I'm doing isn't "wrong" then. Still think I may get some da and give it a try too though.

Just remeber to check loctited screws!! Denatured alcohol and Simple Green will breakdown the loctite over time.

Just remeber to check loctited screws!! Denatured alcohol and Simple Green will breakdown the loctite over time.

VERY good to know. I am thinking I may stick with the WD for regular cleanings, and try the DA for a really good cleaning once in a while.

I'm going to use the DA only when I'm giving my Sav a super cleaning before the install of a new part..otherwise..it will stay mildly dirty.

For one thing, isopropal evaporates too fast. It wont clean. It will just dry almost instantly. Not to mention the fumes. Denatured stays wetter (for lack of a better word) a little longer. A good bit longer when mixed with simple green. Both of those chemicals tend to dry plastic. Thats why the wd in the mix.

]-[0pa]0ng;65074 said:
2 parts denatured alcohol
1 part simple green
1 cap full wd40
always shake the bottle prior to use
if you have a air compressor then use it if not just let it air dry

...and that's exactly what I used to use to clean my $200 bowling ball! (minus the wd-40 of course)

Latest posts

Members online

Back