Why am I going through diffs so fast??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upbasher

I bought my savage x used and pretty soon the little gears inside the diff got chewed up.
So now I replaced those gears and put in a brand new f4.6 and the little gears in there stripped out AGAIN! After probably only 5 or 6 runs!
And I wasn't even bashing hard at all...when I landed the jumps I always let off the throttle.
I can't understand why this thing eats diffs?
Suggestions?

You also can't be on the breaks when you land. Also those gears MUST be shimmed or they will blow. You also need to shim the ring and pinion gears or you will blow them as well.

had mine for a while x 4.6 and after 6 gallons decided it was time to check the mesh in diffs. I did need to add 2 shims to each diff between bearing and large bevel gear to snug up mesh to pinion and rear diff needed new bearings always better to maintain these wearing parts before it breaks

Okay I just shimmed them.
I didn't have washers the right size so I drilled out the holes in the washers bigger and filed them thinner. Wow..LOT of work especially when you have to use a hand file because you dremel is burnt out...
All the meshes are nice and tight now, but not TOO tight.
Thanks guys.

Wow that's a lot of work there. Shims are like 10 cents at a hobby shop.

well I'm going to attempt making brass shim washers from "shim stock".
Comes in small sheets avaliabl at any decent bearing supplier and are very thin usually in a set of several different gauge thicknesses.
Will clamp sheet between 2 layers of soft thick plastic and drill inside diameter to required size and can just use sissors to trim outer diameter ..anyone else attempt this?

And you get a beer or soda in the process. Very nice idea.

also i will say is i had the same problem with diff going (x2) your right in saying you got to shim them however the shime ant going to do much if its the bevel gear that your killing inside the diff what i have done is gone out and got myself alloy diffs and new bevel gears and never had a problem since

i think that you guys are talking about the 13tooth beval gear that is in the first part if so like a say shiming it yes will help but make differents to the inside bevel gears if the diff have plastic cases then check were the rods sit that hold the bevel gear in place to see if the is any movement or it just worn out

Hey guys I just used the pop can idea, and it works great! makes pefectly sized shims.
Except that to drill a hole in the tin without mangling it, you have to put the drill in reverse.
My diff is now shimmed to perfection. All the meshes in the diff and the pinion
and bevel gears are nice and tight.

to drill a thin shim without tearing it use 2 pieces of thicker material that is clamped together tightly with shim material sandwiched in the middle do a dozen or so at a time then unclamp and trim to desired outside diameter.I have tried some 4mm plastic sheet to clamp together and it works a treat for doing brass shims from brass shim stock sheets

I bought my Savage x used and pretty soon the little gears inside the diff got chewed up.
So now I replaced those gears and put in a brand new f4.6 and the little gears in there stripped out AGAIN! After probably only 5 or 6 runs!
And I wasn't even bashing hard at all...when I landed the jumps I always let off the throttle.
I can't understand why this thing eats diffs?
Suggestions?
Same as doing wheelies, jumps... the front and rear diff spool up at slightly different speeds.. The landing.. Either rear.. or front lands first.. The torque of the open differential ( the diff off the ground ) has to meet the speed of the landed diff.. So .. the open diff.. gets torn up first.. because.. its turning at a different speed. and the torque of the landed axel is at a different speed of the last axel to land.. and the bind between the both usually ends up killing the last axel to land.. Some say.. break hard.. when off the jump.. and left off before landing.. I cant verify.. I gave up wheelies and jumps on pavement.. I prefer them on sand or fine gravel.. So the last axel landing can skid a bit.. Taking some of the speed difference in the form of a slight skid.. Like the action of an airplane landing. Its skids from ded stop to speed up to match rest of the wheels.

lol... beer can or soda can cut can work for shims to... way less work than fileing washers down ,..lol

I have used beer can aluminum to make diff spacers.. it works.. if ya have the patience.. but. a gallon or so.. ya need to recheck.. its not real washer.. but really good advice! kudos!!

Latest posts

Members online

Back