Who's buying the new XS?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TIME MACHINE

Any diehard XS fans left in here? I'm thinking of picking up the new one, mainly to support HPI and I kind of dig the new body.

I'm hoping we get a flow of new XS owners in here. The little truck is a cool classic and deserves the love!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221213-102328.png
    Screenshot_20221213-102328.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Yes maybe a very cool little truck, but as for HPI, well since there re-launch I have to say the quality of there products has hit an all time low.. made from cheap inferior Chinese plastic, the parts used to be made in Taiwan and were much better. The quality is woeful and not a patch on the stuff they used to produce. HPI used to be king of RC trucks but now there products are just run of the mill but they still ask top dollar prices for it. Been using HPI products for over 20 year now and have always rated them as the best but alas I can't say this about them anymore. Have had Century HSP products that are of higher quaintly and HSP make some of the cheapest RC models on the market.

I was tempted after seeing it, I’ve had a savage xs vaughn, and the old XS SS. I would have another SS if they made it again with the optional alloy shocks and CVD’s all round, did find all the drive cups are like chocolate so I got the Chrome hardened ones by HPI and they held up good. Only thing I struggled with was handling the truck being so small, especially on 3s

Never had one to be honest a Savage man myself, but if a company goes cheap on one product they usually go cheap across the board. The are a shadow of the company they used to be. Shame to say it but true. If they don't go back to producing the quality they used to they be under and gone again. I hate saying this as have used HPI and no one else for some 20 years, I am a loyal follower of their products but sooner or later we get the the point when we say enough of being ripped off.

Gazzman, what new products have you had the bad experience with so far?
It just the quality of their spares are not the same as before they went under. 2 examples are the composite exhausts that they now fit are made from a cheaper material. Have had 3 new ones is year just melt at the manifold end. One only lasted 1/2 a tank of fuel, if you compare an old pipe to a new one you will see the difference, Their fuel tanks for the savage used to be an opaque colour and quite thick the new ones are almost clear and alot thinner. there are many examples of this cheapening of there products. I have been building savages for along time and have a vast stock of parts, some new some old and when you have both it is easy to see the difference in quality.

the xs chassis is essentially the same since release like 10 years ago. this release looks to be just new wheels, new radio system and body screenprint. the savage xs has always been made in china.

It just the quality of their spares are not the same as before they went under. 2 examples are the composite exhausts that they now fit are made from a cheaper material. Have had 3 new ones is year just melt at the manifold end. One only lasted 1/2 a tank of fuel, if you compare an old pipe to a new one you will see the difference, Their fuel tanks for the savage used to be an opaque colour and quite thick the new ones are almost clear and alot thinner. there are many examples of this cheapening of there products. I have been building savages for along time and have a vast stock of parts, some new some old and when you have both it is easy to see the difference in quality.
you can tell the injection molded plastic parts by look. the china parts if you look on the arm, gear cases, shock bodies, etc, there are 2 dimples next to each other. kind of like a quick visual check. the taiwan parts do not have the dimples.

I got a gittin version and it's a little b***h to drive but having loads of fun with it on 2S.
It took a huge beating and only 1 little part of the left rear shock is broken, except for the body looking mangled it's still in good shape. No troubles with the drivetrain or stripped gears whatsoever

I'm about to grab one of the new XS's - they look like a lot of fun!

I also have a slightly modded vorza S that I'm slowly beefing up with stronger parts and chassis braces as I get time to make them - it's a beast but easy to break with my dodgy landings.

Got my XS! Super cool little machine but wow I broke it in 2 mins just driving around my kitchen floor :oops:

One of the slotted metal rear drive shaft couplings just sheared off on one side and the drive shaft fell out. I guess it was a defective part...

Those shocks look very flimsy where they connect to the suspension arms.

Can someone confirm whether the pretty orange Alu shocks from HPI also have plastic base pieces?

Latest posts

Members online

Back