Who knows the Hellfire?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pick up on that HF. You will surely enjoy running it, it is a ton of fun. Good luck at the track and let us know how it goes.

they also are not shaped like the savage. So reds are a no go, just get the SS-Hellfire fiberglass pads.

Well I snuck a look, and sure enough -those discs from the Savage wont work - DRAT! Now I see why I thought they would - I didn't realize the spacing was different (square vs 6-sided hub)... but i DID find out thing that makes me VERY happy - it looks like the fricton material from a spur gear will fit rather well on the metal shoes - at least for a temporary fix :) I was bummed because the pads are shot - cant really (safely) drive it without brakes, and would have to mail order new ones - this means I can play tomorrow :)

Will try to get some video tomorrow - me and a buddy are gonna bo a little bashing at lunch.

Bob

Alright, I tore her down a bit more tonight - still need to rip out the diffs and go through those one of these days soon - and so far, things are still good. Cool thing was, it mostly fit on the work stand I made for my 8ight...

gse_multipart115865.tmp.jpg

gse_multipart89053.tmp.jpg

Got the brake rigged to work - I used the wire wheel on the bench grinder to take off the OEM material (what was left of it) and replaced it with slipper clutch material - fits fairly well, but I doubt it will last very long... Long enough to get through tomorrow and until the replacement parts I have on order get here (thanks for the pointer on the fiber pads Bank!).

After I put her back together, I added a few HPISF stickers, and I think we are ready to roll tomorrow :)

gse_multipart61167.tmp.jpg

gse_multipart80061.tmp.jpg

gse_multipart134692.tmp.jpg

The rear "wing" (more like air dam) looks cheesy to me, so I am going to fit one of the wings I have for my 8ight -MAYBE - but that depends on how she drives...

Bob

Hellfire's are definitely sharp looking. Would it qualify for a truggy class? if it doesn't what is the distinction between a hellfire and a truggy

ok, first pics with the lid off.

all looks good but get that metal filter off there & go back to stock as soon as possible. just by lookin, stock gonna give you 10x the airflow.

Yesterday I was able to get some more digging done before the kids came home from dinner with their mom - dug down into it some more, and found a few more issues...

1) The clutch bell is definitely shimmed wrong - the screw backed out yesterday during the mini-bash and started rubbing on the gas tank - good thing I caught it quickly!
2) The CVD on the left had been repaired - the PO had apparently lost the CVD pin and tried to replace it with a broken phillips head screwdriver :) I tried to get a pic, didn't come out well...
3) The diff's have prolly never been opened, they need heavier grease to keep wheel spin down - any recommendations for proper front/mid/rear weights? I have 30k weight on hand - what should I consider?
4) the clutch bell had been replaced, but it seems it is not deep enough to cover all the clutch material - so I ordered another one from Tower.
5) As I mentioned, the brakes need to be replaced. but while working on them the other night, i noticed some play in the outdrive cups on the center diff - so I am going to break it down and rebuild it with an aluminum diff housing I have sitting around and proper lube, and go from there.
6) The left side carrier had been removed when the CVD failed, but when the PO put it back together, he put the carrier sleeves in backwards, so it was causing the steering to bind. I flipped the sleeves around, and wala - 1000x better.
7) the steering servo was installed with the steering at dead center, but the servo horn off-center - it would turn great left, but horrible right. I haven't fixed that yet, but will.
8) the PO also apparently took apart the right carrier as well, but when he did, he didn't put the wheelbase washers back in, so the c-hub slides forward and back on the hinge pin - plain old washers will work there.

All in all, i don't think it was driven hard, just, well, dumb. I think he lost the CVD pin when it fell out... When I looked at the bottom, scratches, etc are all consistent - I don't think anything was replaced... not sure why he replaced the clutch bell, but he didn't do it right...

Seems like more of a meatball mechanic, but still an awesome deal in my book! It gets radio model #1 :)

Bob

3) The diff's have prolly never been opened, they need heavier grease to keep wheel spin down - any recommendations for proper front/mid/rear weights? I have 30k weight on hand - what should I consider?

double-checked & i went with the 20k center & 7k F/R as recommended in the O.M.

i'll switch the f/r to 10k at next service.

i recommend you put alloy housings in the f/r also if you got the xtra $20 or so to drop.

i recommend you put alloy housings in the f/r also if you got the xtra $20 or so to drop.

You mean the alumium diff cans or the diff housings as in holds the diff + pinion?

I ordered an aluminum center diff support yesterday - had a $10 coupon with Tower and needed to break $50, so I got it for $5 - might head off that play in the center diff....

Bob

Alright, another attempt at a shake-down run - and this one lasted more than 10 mins for a change :)

Truck is QUICK - faster than my Savage with a 2-speed but the handling leaves a lot rt be desired - I have a higher-torque servo I am gonna pop in there, and see how that goes. I did run into a few minor problems, but they were minor - motor mount screws from the engine to the mount and then the mount to the chassis on two separate occasions and that stripped (well, not totally) the spur and cb - at least this time I got the shimming and whatnot worked out on the clutch. I am going to replace the shoes with Max Life/Mugen springs (thanks Bank for the recommendation), add the 15t CB from Tower, and replace the spur at the same time...

I did order those aluminum diff housings, so when I replace the spur, I will just rebuild all of them - they don't necessarily need it, but I do want to put different oil in the diffs since there is a lot of wheel spin when power is not even from left to right. And, since the meatball PO has done some of the things he has, I am pretty sure I will find more when I dig into it :)

I am just happy to be able to bash on it now!

Bob

I love the Hellfire.I bought a battered secondhand one and my mate bought a new ss.He hit a curb and didnt use it so gave it to me.Between the 2 i have built a nice one with ss and carbon parts.Its in the shed with no engine and wheels and tyres at the mo.After reading this thread i am going to go and get it when it gets light.I have an axial 28 and some zombie max's on dish wheels in my room so i am going to give it a rebuild this weekend:motorcycle:.

Nice! I just took it for a run down at the race track - it runs nice, but the Agressor tires need to be replaced - I have a nice set of Badlands, but no CA to attach them to the rims - grrrrr :)

I did learn a few new things today though - the reason that the PO replaced the clutch bell was because he HAD to - the motor mount is stripped, and the bolts walk out - making it hop all over. When that happens, takes out the clutch bell. No wonder the CB was changed, the cb was not shimmed right, and the clutch shoe was messed up - all from that little problem - GAH!

I'm gonna order a new mount so that I can go play, but I am also going to see what I can do about fabricating a new mount (or modify the existing one) so this doesn't happen again...

Bob

Just for some added protection for you fuel tank glue a small metal piece onto you tank by the clutch bell so that way you don't wreck your tank.

Just for some added protection for you fuel tank glue a small metal piece onto you tank by the clutch bell so that way you don't wreck your tank.

:duh:

Sometimes it is the simplest solutions that elude us...

I have a few pieces of scrap aluminum, I can use epoxy to attach - that is an awesome idea!

Bob

Well, i have been working out the bugs on this used sick pup I picked up, and twice the cb screw walked out and once rubbed the tank - the first time was the PO's fault, second mine - since i have a bunch of scraps lying around - cheap insurance against my cerebral misfire in the future :)

Bob

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back