which one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcnut14

I give bad advice
so, I've been thining about getting a new rc. I've been looking at the Tamiya kits. my question is, wich is best, the grasshopper, frog, or lunchbox? also, what are the features of each, and what hop-ups are made for them?

whuch one depends on what you wish to do with said new RC vehicle... Tamiya kits are well known for their decent quality and they have a good selection to choose frum, it is up to the end user to determine whuct one will fit their needs... as far as upgrades you will have to do your own research on that as many of them share parts..... I thinn that you will fare better with a truch as you will prolly just run it around the fahrm..... :D :D

Yup I have experience with all 3 the grasshopper and lunchbox are alike and share some parts, the frog is like a blackfoot chassis wise, prolly not a great many hopups for any of those 3 vehicles out there...and I am not going to search through all the available hopups out there for them. as for your choices of which one I would prolly get the frog it is plenty durable and should have parts available.... have fun deciding and when you do let us know so we may possibly direct you to a source for replacement and hopup parts...

as for my spelling how does that shoe fit for you.....

well, I think all go with the frog. it looks faster and more off road capable. what do u think I should mod, if anything? is there a certain part that could be improved, in ur opinion?

first thing I would get are bearings, after that some better rear tires as the spikes are kinda hard and not great for traction... but in reality it will be just fine outta the box for a good long while

yes it will handle a 27 turn brushed racing motor well, you may have to upgrade the dog bone drives, I believe there are stronger ones out there for it tho....

what about a 20t?

why a 20 turn? a decent 27 turn stock motor will go just as fast and have a better torque curve than a 20 turn motor will.....benefit of this is a bit less heat in the motor and esc and also the battery....

ok, I found a motor that people say go good with the grasshopper and the frog. and I think that i'll get bearing for it. I assume that it doesn't come with bearings? do I have to get new hubs or something?

While youall are on the subject, I am going to get a Stadium truck to race with two friends, That have Traxxas Slash rigs. I wanted a HPI, but I see they don't make a 4WD. So.... I'm looking at a LOSI TEN-SCTE LOSBO128. I been reading a little about them, and they supposed to be very dependable, and well made. The one available right now that I have been seeing is the red #33 Discount Tire Truck with prices all over from $500 - $1000 On Amazon. I saw it somewhere else for less than $400 (bookmarked it). Anyway, this truck appears to have been around since 2011. There is a new truck (Troy Lee edition I think) due out in April that orders are being taken for $539, supposed list $619. Should I wait. That's what I'm leaning at. I've seen lots of other stuff out there too that looks interesting, but I think Losi is in the lead. Aarma Senton, coming in March. Intek-ERSC 10.

I don't know enough about this stuff to make an educated decision, but I think I'm going LOSI. Ideas? Suggestions?

I had a grasshopper...got that instead of the Frog largely due to cost issues. BUt the frog is a nice buggy and still is. Tamiya has parts support still....just not as popular as other brands,,...but available even for these older models.
I recall the standard upgrades were always bearings to replace bushings, and Motors. I had a friend who put the then Sprint Motor in his Frog! Was fast! I'm sure a brushless can work too...but geared down for sure.
Tamiya RC's are unique and are in a class of their own. Not a case of speed or durability but the whole fact that its a Tamiya and you built it!!
I still love my WW2! Wish I kept my WW1 tho...sob sob

While youall are on the subject, I am going to get a Stadium truck to race with two friends, That have Traxxas Slash rigs. I wanted a HPI, but I see they don't make a 4WD. So.... I'm looking at a LOSI TEN-SCTE LOSBO128. I been reading a little about them, and they supposed to be very dependable, and well made. The one available right now that I have been seeing is the red #33 Discount Tire Truck with prices all over from $500 - $1000 On Amazon. I saw it somewhere else for less than $400 (bookmarked it). Anyway, this truck appears to have been around since 2011. There is a new truck (Troy Lee edition I think) due out in April that orders are being taken for $539, supposed list $619. Should I wait. That's what I'm leaning at. I've seen lots of other stuff out there too that looks interesting, but I think Losi is in the lead. Aarma Senton, coming in March. Intek-ERSC 10.

I don't know enough about this stuff to make an educated decision, but I think I'm going LOSI. Ideas? Suggestions?

Back in the early to mid 90's I ran a JRXT/LXT trucks and it was a good rig. fact is I ran the whole JRXT series and won alot with them....not sure how the quality has held up over the last few years as I haven't ran much electric stuff. but I find nothing wanting on losi rigs in general.....

So... what you think, buy the LOSI TEN-SCTE LOSBO128, for like $389, or wait for the LOSI Troy Lee edition, for I think it's $539? I've never built a kit, but I've had my Savage completely apart and got everything back together no problem. I've always been a car nut, and am mechanically inclined. I build and repair personal computers from scratch, so I think I can handle an RC kit, just haven't done it. I'm kinda in the dark about the electronics part of the RC. I don't have knowledge about the different Motors. I know I want brushless, I want to be able to run 3C LiPo's, 4WD, the good stuff. I don't know how to figure between say.... 2700KV and 4700KV. I don't understand the ratings and the way to figure which is more powerful. I NEED HELP. I should have gotten into this when I was younger and not retired. If I can go with a kit, which LOSI kit would be best for a stadium truck? What upgrades for durability and handling? What physical and power size Motor and Electronics?

I know it sounds like I'm asking for someone to tell me what to build, that's because I AM. I want LOSI, because I've read nothing but good about them. Budget is not an issue, it costs what it costs. I just want to do it right. Appreciate some help here guys, I'm ready to order a kit.

I have no quick answer for you Greg, if you are wanting a stadium truck for racing I understand their 22t is a great rig for 2wd racing.... as for a brushless setup I do know a higher kv rating is going to be a faster motor for using, but I am just not that up on todays brushless systems to use. maybe a query to losi will help you decide which system is best for the truck you are wanting to race.....

Sorry I think you have stadium trucks mixed up with short course trucks, most all stadium trucks are 2wd, short course trucks can be 2wd or 4wd, different classes but in real 1/1 racing they run both and in RC we do run both......

as for your question on which one to buy I will have to defer that to you as it is you who will be paying for it..... if i were just starting out with one I would more than likely get an RTR vs a Kit and pick up a couple batteries to power up the truck..... with an RTR you get the assembled truck a radio system and in some cases they include a battery for the rig and a charger to recharge the battery when it is depleted.....

Sorry I think you have stadium trucks mixed up with short course trucks, most all stadium trucks are 2wd, short course trucks can be 2wd or 4wd, different classes but in real 1/1 racing they run both and in RC we do run both......

as for your question on which one to buy I will have to defer that to you as it is you who will be paying for it..... if i were just starting out with one I would more than likely get an RTR vs a Kit and pick up a couple batteries to power up the truck..... with an RTR you get the assembled truck a radio system and in some cases they include a battery for the rig and a charger to recharge the battery when it is depleted.....
Thanks Jam, I have a Savage Flux RTR and a Sprint 2 Flux on road RTR. I'm familiar with RTR, just ready for a kit I think, and looking for a little advice, and or help. You are correct, I want a short course 4WD truck.

I guess if you have tons of RC buggies, trucks, cars around...then a kit would be my choice as I can always swap servos, esc, electronics from the un-run ones.
Or if you like collecting Tx's and chargers...then RTR is good...haha! I have some AM radios....maybe I'll make a Sub!

I guess if you have tons of RC buggies, trucks, cars around...then a kit would be my choice as I can always swap servos, esc, electronics from the un-run ones.
Or if you like collecting Tx's and chargers...then RTR is good...haha! I have some AM radios....maybe I'll make a Sub!
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the LOSI Short Course truck -Troy Lee Edition. Got an RTR, per Jam. While I was at it, I been wanting a kit, so I got a XRAY T4 2015 specs touring kit, and a XRAY T1 Formula Kit. This will let me buy one good radio system and an extra receiver to run both of them. I could use input as to your thoughts on a Radio system, as well as any or all of the electronics to make these kits fly. No racing intended at the moment, so I have no limitations,

Latest posts

Members online

Back