Which gear set up should I use for savage x4.6

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zane Lewis

Should I use a Robinson racing 52t/14t or a Robinson racing 47t/17t?

Is your truck still an X or is it the XL ? on my X with an axial .32 I am running the 48/16 combo from robinson and I get plenty of speed and wheelies anytime I bury the throttle too quickly......

Is your truck still an X or is it the XL ? on my X with an axial .32 I am running the 48/16 combo from robinson and I get plenty of speed and wheelies anytime I bury the throttle too quickly......
It’s just the X, how long have you had this setup?

I have had this gearing setup for 3 years, I have 15 16 17 and 18 tooth clutchbells and I fount the best for me is the 48/16, I run in alot of loose dry terrain with dry grass and weeds around also.

I have had this gearing setup for 3 years, I have 15 16 17 and 18 tooth clutchbells and I fount the best for me is the 48/16, I run in alot of loose dry terrain with dry grass and weeds around also.
How much speed we talkin

I don't have any solid numbers for speed, but since you kinda new to nitro I am sure you will find it more than enough, maybe 30 35 mph range.... fast enuff to tear some stuff up that much is sure.....

I forgot to ask you.. What slipper clutch are you using for the 48/16?

I forgot to ask you.. What slipper clutch are you using for the 48/16?

I am using the stock slipper pad sold by HPI, I tighten down the nut till the coils on the spring just touch and leave it that way, I do not back it off as the manual says to do.....

I am using the stock slipper pad sold by HPI, I tighten down the nut till the coils on the spring just touch and leave it that way, I do not back it off as the manual says to do.....
Oh ok is there a reason you don’t back off half a turn

there is really no need to loosen the slipper, all it is going to do is slip TOO much and eat up the pad sooner, I lock mine down and it will still slip under heavy loads but doesn't allow it to slip until needed so the pad lasts longer......

Hey just got my spur gear and clutch bell. I’ve already put on the new slipper pad on my new spur , but I have a question for you... would I have to put the slipper clutch hub back on with the new spur gear or would I just need to have the slipper pad with the spring and nut?

Hey just got my spur gear and clutch bell. I’ve already put on the new slipper pad on my new spur , but I have a question for you... would I have to put the slipper clutch hub back on with the new spur gear or would I just need to have the slipper pad with the spring and nut?

This thread got me thinking, I've run virtually every bell/spur ration available for the Savage 46 (stock and after-market) and found it to have minimal impact (as in hardly tangible). Whether wanting to top out more, or have more explosiveness/torque, items such as vehicle weight, manifold, tires, pipe,.clutch, toe, weight transfer, etc all seem to make a more noticeable impact than gear ratio...as they are with buggies/,truggies it seems.

In fact, I remember when I started analyzing the effects of the different ratios, I was a bit disappointing-- I was expecting more of an impact.

I imagine if were executing speed runs, I would implement tall gearing (even though the areas I listed above would still have a larger impact in my experience), so for now I just use what's available.

Latest posts

Back