Which fuel to run??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motha Trucka

I tried the search but could'nt find what I'm looking for so here goes, I heard somewhere that Traxxas top fuel should not be used in Savage engines (I have a Savage X), is this true, and if so why, I have a TMaxx and it works fine in that truck!! And If I should'nt use Traxxas Top Fuel could you guys give me the name of a good fuel I can use in my Savage X?
Thanks,
Motha Trucka

What have you been using in your Savage X?, the Traxxas Top Fuel?

Well, we use Trinity Monster Fuel. I think it's great and it's not that oily. That's what I recommend.

trip3020cy3.jpg

I use that 30% Monster in my MT2, and I'm sure it will work fine in you Savage X too. If not they make 20%, or whatever you need. It runs about $20-25 depending on where you get it and what % you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Savage X is new I have only used one tank of fuel in it, and yes it was Traxxas Top Fuel. Thats why I want to know the correct fuel for my tuck before I screw it up useing the wrong fuel.
Thanks for the info,
Motha Trucka

You can use any name brand, O'Donnells, Trinity, HPI, Traxxas, Bryons, Sidewinder to name a few its just a personal preference and whatever your LHS carries. The only one I wouldn't reccomend is Blue Thunder they say it gums up your engine. :cool:

Please forgive my ignorance, but because Traxxas Top Fuel is blue, I thought it was blue thunder. I just figured blue thunder was a nickname given to Traxxas Top Fuel because it's blue!!! As I'm sure you know by now I'm still pretty new to this hobby. So Traxxas Top Fuel and Blue Thunder are two differant fuels? I gotta tell you I feel pretty stupid.
Motha Trucka

Lol, well think on the bright side. Your truck should be fine, and you can continue using what you use. As Bamasavage said, you can use anything really. Just remember to tune it properly if you ever switch. 'Cause I broke mine in with O'Donnells, then got Monster and I know Monster is a lot leaner then O'Donnells, which is oily, so I had to just tune my truck a little.

Thanks for the good info, I really appriciate it. Oh and Bamasavage, where in Alabama do you live? I was born and raised in ILL, but my mother is from Mobile Ala, and most of my realatives live there, I try and get down there twice a year to see everyone, it's beautiful down there and the people are great. I too am a Crimson Tide fan, my cousin Julian Pike played for the Tide in 1978, he was'nt a starter but just the fact that he made the team is a testament to his football skills.
Roll Tide Roll,
Motha Trucka

Fuel

Despite what everyone has said about blue thunder I personally have ran about 6 gallons of blue thunder in my s25 with no problems and is still on the back wheels running hard!!! Different fuels require different tuning and thats the most truth that I can say about fuel but to say one is better then the other there are so many factors with an engine that contribute to overheating gumming of parts ect and most people blame fuel. If you know how to tune and maintain ur car or truck to your weather conditions and to top performance you shouldnt have problems with any fuel!!! GO BLUE THUNDER GO HAHAHAHa

Ok RLM..i took my motor apart this weekeddn since i took it out to clean i looked inside and it was....BLUE.and it was gummy as i don't know what! So i cleaned it all and made sure it was ALL clean and put it back in...and i saw a power increase..i can actually do a wheelie now..but i use to when the motor was newer! BTW i run Trinity horsepower 20% mine is purple.

OK, I have seen first hand the damage blue thunder can do. Been doing this 20 years, and BT is not the first fuel to cause problems, anybody remember the "Tower Power" fuels from the late 80's? There is something with that blend that promotes corrosion and gums up the engine. Tower figured it out and now sells quality fuel, but BT wont fix it. This problem has gone on for a very long time. Run whatever you want, but don't say we didnt warn you.

Fuel

I will take my chances I have had success so far don't jinx me!! lol :) I have an F 4.1 I will be putting in soon maybe i will switch to trinity when I get it running I will definatly compare and let everybody know my results but for now my machine is running strong!!!

Hmm, I'm not liking the way this sounds, sadly I think my local hobby shops only carry blue thunder. I have ran maybe a half gallon of it through my X's 4.1 so far, it's not too late to change is it? I am out of fuel so I will check my LHS for something else before I buy another gallon of blue thunder. And all the other ones sound a lot cheaper, the chepest I can get a gallon of BT here is $25, but that's a 45 min drive away so I waste more money than that in gas. The other closest hobby shop is about 25 mins but there stuff is a little more expensive.

Go online and buy a case of it....If you go through fuel that quick or you just want extra. Sure you pay a minor HazMat fee, but can be cheaper and more convenient in the long run.

Latest posts

Members online

Back