Which engine mount???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex5

Hi guys, just after a bit of advice here... which engine mount is the best for the Savage?

I'm building my 'ultimate truck' at the mo, not sure if it is worth spending the extra on a cooling mount (it's going on the 1 piece LCG IRC engine plate).
Is the 5.9XL mount beefier than the standard 4.6 kit mount?

Let's have some opinions please!

My vote would go with nova as well , i just received their cooling head & if it's any indication of their quality you won't be sorry.
SL63

Hi guys, just after a bit of advice here... which engine mount is the best for the Savage?

I'm building my 'ultimate truck' at the mo, not sure if it is worth spending the extra on a cooling mount (it's going on the 1 piece LCG IRC engine plate).
Is the 5.9XL mount beefier than the standard 4.6 kit mount?

Let's have some opinions please!
I like the HPI hd mounts. They add support to the front of the mill taking strain off the mill mounting ears in cartwheels and the like. I have bent both mounts the HPI HD and the Nova. But I say HPI's is a better design with not as good materials.

Both mounts are great the Nova and the HPI mount. The nova is much more adjustable as it allows adjust ability forward and back but it is hard to get to the nuts with the engine mounted into it so you almost have to pull the motor to remove or move the mount into position. The Nova mount is must stronger as its billet aluminum but the HPI is very strong although made from cast alum. The HPI SS one does offer the support to the from of the engine via the set screw which is nice.

I opt for the HPI one because of cost and they are a good mount as well. I have yet to really need forward and backward adjust ability because if you spend a bit of time shimming it will be lined up just fine.

I have ran the FLM ones and still do on one of my truck they are a great mount as well but are very narrow at the mounting location and can be hard to fit to some engines that have a very thick block.

Thanks for the comments guys. I was sure I had heard some reports of the Nova being a bit of a fiddle.

When you talk about the Hpi HD mount, is it the one- (HP86399) or two-piece (HP86140) design? Or just the one which comes with the 5.9XL or X SS kits??

The problem with the purple Hpi bits, they're both megabucks compared to the others except the kit ones, kinda feel odd spending that much on an engine mount. But then don't want to spend half as much and bend it either. If the stocker is as good as the rest I'll run that tbh and save the £££. I like to feel the money is well spent.

I have seen this mount by Atomic which looks cool but I'm not sure about a two-piece mount, can't be as strong - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=310007459422&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=021
It does look nice in the gunmetal, drool. Any opinions on these, don't suppose I'd have the luck of anyone here running one??

Also I don't like the ones with the slotted bolt-thru holes for securing the mill to the mount (like the RD logics ones I see on eBay), again, they can't offer as much support.

Any other manufacturers not mentioned yet?

I have heard its best just to stay with the stock engine mount. From what I heard the mount acts like a give point and that will break before the crankcase of the engine. I guess that when you use a stronger mount it transfer the shock to the crankcase instead of just the mount. Personally I haven't had a problem with the stock 4.6 mount. I only broke it once and that was off a major jump that I was wanting to see what the truck can take. The mount just crack by one of the screws.

But I don't know for sure, I haven't tried any of these other mounts but have heard some good things about the mount from people on this site.

Members online

Back