Where do I even start...?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBowtieKiller

Well, here's the story. My aunts husband passed away about a year ago. Near the end of April, right as I was getting out school, I went to help her clean out her house and barns because she was moving to a new location. While cleaning a shed outside, I found a box with a R/C truck in it. The box was falling apart and the truck and other items inside were all really dusty. Later on that night, back at her new house, I asked her about it and what she was going to do it with it. She said it was her husbands, he had bought it at a flea market years ago. She then told me she didn't know anything about it and told me I could have it if I wanted it. This is where I stopped thinking. For some reason, I said "Sure! I'll take it!"

Now, you may be wondering why I would now think that was a bad decision. Here's the thing. I'm 15 years old, and know absolutely nothing at all about nitro R/C trucks, heck, I don't even know anything about electric R/C trucks. After some extensive research, I determined the truck was a Savage 25. It has a black and purple jeep body shell, other than that, I don't really know what other upgrades it has on it. One thing I do know, however, is that it's going to need a little work. The engine and radio looked pretty good in my opinion, but the air filter looks makeshift, and it's shot. The tank still had fuel in it, and it was stained around the bottom. the fuel was a horrible blackish brown color, and the fuel lines didn't look to good. Because of all of this, I never even messed with it. I emptied the tank and the truck has been sitting in my room for about a month.

Now, the actual question in all of this. Where do I even start? What do I need to buy to make it in good running condition again. I've read a lot of stuff about "breaking it in", I'm assuming it has already been broken in, but maybe it needs to be again if hasn't been started in so long? I don't know. Like I said, I don't really know anything about nitro R/C vehicles. Do I need to rebuild the engine? What do I need to replace? What tools do I need to buy? Any and all help is really appreciated.

P.S, here is a list of everything the box had in it when I got it: about a gallon of blue nitro fuel, and half a gallon of pink fuel. A good radio control, a flashpoint temp gauge, a duratrax pulse charger, two 7.2 volt batteries, a roto starter, a glow igniter, a little tool/wrench that looks like a cross (I couldn't remember what it was called....), and some decals and a manual for the engine, a nitro star s-25.
I can upload more pictures if necessary.
Also, I really hope this is in the right forum. Sorry if it's not I guess.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Hey. I'm new here also. I just went through the exact same thing except I do know alot about nitro rc. The chances of that engine being good is slim. Especially if its been sitting for a while in an non-climate controlled barn. The Savage 25 I got that had been sitting in a garage for 3+ years was shot. Bad motor bad electronics. $250 later I got it running. If your looking for a "learning" project and have some $$ toss at it its can be great.

Well, first of all for only being 15 you write very well. I'm an old guy and belong to several different RC hobby forums. I see younger guys come in that can barely type their name let alone a substantial post. Kudos on your communication skills. Second, if you have posted to the these forums you must be at least a little intrigued by getting into RC, so welcome to the insane madness.

So, as far as your find. From the pictures you must have cleaned it up some because it doesn't look as rough as the condition you said you found it in. The makeshift air cleaner is interesting, but I am wondering what it does to the pressure in the carb and the ability to atomize fuel. Would be interested to hear what the vets say about that simple mod.

If the engine hasn't ran in awhile I say fire the sucker up and see if it runs. As far as the fuel you got in that box you most likely have a jug of 20% (blue) and the other is probably 30% or better. If they were stored in a dark place it might still be good (don't quote me on that). Take the screw cap off and check for the red stopper in the mouth of the jugs. If it's not there the fuel is probably no good.

Your challenge is going to be not knowing much about nitro RC. If it does run you need to tune it or the engine will be damaged. Before you even dump fuel in the tank replace the the fuel lines and check the condition of the red rubber O-ring in the spring loaded tank cap. If it's rotten or cracked replace it. I would also take the glow plug out and pull the starter cord to make sure the piston isn't seized. If it does it certainly wouldn't hurt to spray a 1 second spray of WD-40 or after run oil into the carb and another in the glow plug hole and pull the starter a few times....its not a lawnmower so no need to yank the heck out of it. Do a googly on nitro affter-run care. That might be all that engine needs. All depends on how it was cared for before you found it.Take the fuel tank off and soak that puppy in some straight Simple Green solution. The condition of the fuel left in it scares me a bit. Make sure you replace the receiver pack batteries with fresh ones or charge up the NiMH packs if applicable and check steering and throttle servo operation. Check over all the wiring for frays and breaks

If you have access to an LHS (local hobby shop) that deals in RC, don't be afraid to give them some business. Take your truck to them and let them assess it and get a better idea where you stand as far as getting that to thing to run. Hope this helps at least a bit. And again, welcome to the forums and the hobby.

Welcome, If you do try to use that old fuel you may have trouble, don't give up. Your first try at running this truck might be really frustrating. Hopefully you have an instruction manual. Most of the info you will need will be in there. Give it a shot!

I'll add to what thefixxer said, which was good advice. I wouldn't bother much with the fuel you have, in fact it will likely be a detriment to you. Buy some new fuel and be confident that when you go to tune you don't have to worry about the fuel. The nitro star s-25 runs on 20% nitro fuel. That filter is a stock air filter for a savage 25. I would remove the tubing and attempt to clean or replace the filter.

The stock needle settings for the nitro star s-25 are : HSN: 4 1/2 Turns From Closed, LSN: 3 Turns From Closed, IDLE: About 2mm. I would reset the needles to stock and tune from scratch.

I've linked for you the savage 25 manual below. Read through it, you may be able to spot other things that need fixing. There are also several good pieces of advice about the truck in there.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/454155/Hpi-Racing-Savage-25.html?page=62#manual

X has a very good point about that old fuel. I thought of that later after I posted but figured someone would beat me to it by this morning. Bad fuel will be more headache than its worth. Get a new glo-plug also. No tellin what condition the old one is in. You can test it though by taking it out and inserting into a fully charged glo-plug ignitor. If it glows you are good. Watch your fingers....I can personally vouch for how hot they get.

Another thing, TheBowtieKiller, go over every fastener on the truck and make sure it's tight. Any screw that anchors into metal should be pulled out and have thread locker applied. Red or blue its up to you. Red will be a tighter lock but the blue will keep it snug with the ability to remove the screw if needed. Red will be harder to get the screw out.

Best way to become familiar with how your truck works is tear is down, clean, rebuild. As far as tools (forgot to answer that from your 1st post) no special tools are needed. You probably have most of what you need in your garage already. That "cross" tool you mentioned is for removing the glow-plug and various other things. For cleaning I would suggest a diluted solution of Simple Green all purpose cleaner, an old tooth brush and some shop rags. When you tear down get a box of small ziploc bags so you can bag and tag everything as you remove it. I also suggest keeping the hardware used for securing the part to the truck with the part so you are not guessing what screws go with what when you reassemble.

That's all I got.

Latest posts

Members online

Back