When to relubricate diffs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwatKat

So, because I'm a newbie, my question may be dumb, but anyway I post it...

So, I have a new Savage X 4.6, only eaten 1 gallon, mostly on grass, tarmac, no much of a stress with jumps and other "hard stuff".

Do I need to lubricate the diffs? And if I do, at what silicone oil to use? And at what period of time do I need to relubricate the diffs?

Thanks.

Its a good idea to do it every gallon like Crash said. Usually they will be fina and just need some fresh grease, but once in a while a screw (or all of them) will back off and your diffs will be dry.

OK, guys, thanks. But what oil should I use? I mean, for front/rear diff, what do you use and is there a combination for better 4x4 traction and stability?
Thanks

I am running what 30k front 10k rear. The heavier weight oil in the front makes the truck handle like its on rails. But if you point higher weight oil in the rear then this will cause the trucks to fish tail, and if you put to heavy of weight in the rear this can cause some under steer and you may be finding you self wanting to turn but still going straight. If kinda depends on what you want, if you want the truck to go where the front wheels are facing then go with heavier in the front, if you are wanting to have the rear end slid out a bit then but the heavier in the rear.

OK. I understand it. One final question. What does HPI put in the diff as stock? I mean, what kind of oil/grease.

LE: And can you point out a link or a name from Tower, just to know what to search and order. Thanks

OK. I've read and understood that HPI grease is about 30k. So I guess now in my truck I have 30k both front and rear.

And I found this: Associated Factory Team Silicone Diff Fluid 10K Weight: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFTX5&P=7 Is this good? I mean this and the same with 30k.

What happens if I go 10k front and 30k back? What about 30K front (as standard) and 60k rear? Is it too much?

Sorry for asking, but I can't find in Romania all these stuff and it's hard to order them from USA, pay them, and then just test and not use them..

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Back