Wheely King

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JohnH

HPI RACING
WHEELY KING 4X4

#10830 - Wheely King 4x4
Tower Hobbies price $209.00

LENGTH: 431.8mm (17in.)
WIDTH: 297.2mm (11.7in.)
HEIGHT: 254mm (10in.)
WHEELBASE: 238.8mm (9.4in.)
TIRES: 135mm x 69mm (5in. x 3in.)
SUSPENSION TRAVEL: 152.4mm (6in.)
Driven by: Stephen Helton
Written by: John Helton
DSC00012.jpg

chassis.jpg

All I can say when you open the box is "There's a lot of stuff in here".

IM000702.jpg

You get the truck, battery, manual, charger, and spare parts.

IM000706.jpg

IM000737.jpg

IM000725.jpg

IM000724.jpg

IM000722.jpg

IM000718.jpg

IM000715.jpg

IM000712.jpg

Well if you have a fast charger you ditch the HPI one. Charge the battery and we go see what my boy can do. By the way buy more batteries. Buy better batteries. This thing sucks batteries dry quick. Starting off my son started just low speed runs and turns to get the hang of the truck......This degraded quickly to see how long he can hold a wheely. With the battery in back it will hold it as long as the gas is pushed. Here are two quick videos and pics.

DSC00023.jpg

DSC00022.jpg

The truck is great off the jumps and handles very well. I had to inspect the controller a few times and the truck was a fun little change from the Savage. It is easy to clean the whole truck comes apart very quickly and the parts from front to rear are the same. The truck was a little tip prone in turns. I removed the shock spacers and mounted the shocks to the outside of there perches on the axles. This took away some of the turning issues with him. The rest he will have to learn. But for now it's balls to the wall. When he did crash nothing not a broken anything except his heart because he liked the body so much and it got scratched up.
this is a junior monster truck and it looks like the real thing. If you remove the trailing arm stiffener you get a lot more travel out of the rear end but you also get the torque lean and the top of the truck looks like it is just flopping around. But the travel you gain is very good. This is why a lot of guys build crawlers from this truck and Axial uses a lot of this trucks components in there AX10.
DSC00183.jpg

DSC00181.jpg

DSC00166.jpg

DSC00161.jpg

DSC00106.jpg

DSC00079.jpg

DSC00042.jpg

My son loves this little truck but it is a battery killer so again buy batteries or you will have a mad child on your hands. He gets into the driving and when the truck is in the air so is one of his legs. It is fun watching him drive and he is learning a good bit about radio use and maintanence on a RC vehicle. Again I think this is a great truck to start a young or young at heart hobbiest on. It is simple fast and there are a ton of upgrades and mods for this truck. I think HPI hit it out of the park again with this truck.

Low Speed Handling
Low speed handling for this truck was nice with a sharp turning radious do to the wheelbase. You turn the wheel it is going to almost turn on a dime. If you get in a jam you hit reverse and back out.

High Speed Handling
High speed is where this truck was at most of the testing and when you turn it rolls over if you go to tight. My son is still learning this. If you go from revese to full out forward the truck just flips over.

Jumping
If my boy hit the jump right or not it mostly landed on the wheels. It is tail heavy do to the battery location but flys pretty nice in stock form. The suspension has a lot of travel so it soaks it up like crazy. He hits jumps at all angles and the truck does great.

Wrenching
Piece of cake. This truck is great to work on. It is easy to remove the tranny or any other part. Everything can be flipped on the suspension so it is hard to get it wrong.

Quote from my son " It's really cool to play with".
IM000859.jpg

IM000848.jpg

IM000846.jpg

IM000842.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice review john.

Did you have any higher Mah batteries that you ran in it?

Tell ya the wheely king is an awesome little truck to mess around with......
Speaking of people using it for crawlers that is what we actually got it for. Just waiting to get all the parts at once.

Nice write-up for sure. One of these might satisfy my wants for a solid-axle MT and a crawler, and now I want one even more!

great review!!! it looks like its alot of fun!! and by the way the vids look it really does wheelie with ease!!:10:

Looking at this review again, you took some awesome shots of rhe truck in action.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Back