Whats your thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RangerRock

Well guys just playing around with driveshafts here.......I removed the front shafts going to the wheels and I enjoyed driving with 2WD and then I am thinking about removing the other sgaft going to the front diff and then remove the entire front diff and install the 6 gear diff in case i bust the stock 2 gear diff in the rear. I will try and get a video of it next time I run. Even though my videos are NOT like SMF, or anything like that I still enjoy making them and showing them and I even share them without editing.......lol

Ya think about all the weight you are saving without the diff and 3 dogbones........plus its less stress on the spur gear b/c thats half the traction it has to handle with the 4 big tires.......IMO

hpi how did the truck do hooking up in the grass on take off? i have thought bout doing that also. But everytime that i have broke a front diff and tried to run 2 wheel drive my truck had a hard time hooking up to take off. If this is not a problem for you i would say sounds like a good ideal. Also if you are getting traction on grass dirt and road what kind of tires are you running.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I run the stock tires.....do i get good traction on grass? no........thats the point since I run around in the yard and stuff I get into the pinestraw and do some DONUTS and then its even better going around the corners in pinestraw and getting it sideways.......i am going to take it to the dirt oval and see how it handles for the races in 2 weeks. I will let everyone know how it does on the oval.

I have done this!!! and I blew my rear diff out really quick... Also I couldn't get the truck to handle right at all The surefire I was running at the time would only put me in a spin at high speed thats not a good thing... Its was fun the first time but got old quick (also the wheelies were the same with 4wd or 2wd)

Well Like I said if i DO blow the diff n the rear I will either get the 4 or 6 gear diffs for it. So far nothing has blown

HPI25 - it's 4 or 8. Don't do one diff as a 2 and the other diff as a 4 gear setup. Do 4 in both.

I don't know if anyone gets RC Driver but I have an issue that they did an HPI Savage $1800 Jupm Truck and they put a 6 gear diffs in. Instead of 4 in each diff they used 6 and its like 39.99 is what they showed in the magazine.

my bad then. Never heard of it. I do get Car action magazine haven't seen it in there, yet

OK The Magazine is RC Driver January 2007 Issue 37 Page#60. The sentence reads " I also built the truck with six-gear diffs because they will be taking a ton of abuse".

HPI 6-Gear Diffs: 86127; $39.99

I have

I have that issue, I'm pretty sure it was 4 gear diffs. And on a totally unrelated subject, what a poor job of putting together a jump truck they did. They could not have misled the savage users of the world any worse. They built something with unproven expensive parts. It was clear some editor went online and bought the coolest more awesomest sounding/looking items and slapped them onto a savage. Most of it was poor performance advice, and poor financial device.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes buton page 60 before the end of the Drivetrain paragrapgh it has that sentence and even in the parts list it says HPI 6-gear diffs. Yes they slapped so much exspensive/crappy parts on their. They put on too much metal parts and such.

Yeah I researched it after i typed it up, stupid me..........its a thought tho!

from what i know, a 6 bevel gear would have 6 planetary gears (on the spider) but maybe i'm wrong and 6 bevel means 4 planetry gears, and two gears to the output shafts (?)

have you seen the UE bulkeless system aswell? i wouldnt mind those diffs being hidden away inside that part! they looks and feel amazing in person, the are uber light

Pictures were taken form the Current Contest:

HPI87193.jpg

If you want an aftermarket diff cup:

savagediffwithscrewsmedium.jpg

UE diff is primarly a T maxx product site. I have never heard anyone call the 4 small gears and the 2 large one a 6 gear setup. Why: cause the 2 large ones are not a factor in counting. Reason they don't change from a 2 to a 4 gear setup. Therefor you don't call it a 6 gear. It's just a 2 gear or 4 gear. So a 6 gear would involve 6 small gears.

With HPI gears you can do this simple upgrade with the plastic diff and the upgrade cost is around $10 bucks for the gears and pins. Complete setup for both diffs or go with like say Novas for about $20 ea on the diffs.

Hope I don't tick anyone off. Like wise if I'm wrong I will admit it but I got my guns locked and loaded. j/k

there is no 6 gear set up that i know of for a savage (ie the 8 spyder gear).

i posted the UE examples to show what a 6 small geared diff looked like (sorry for any conusion)

this whole 4 bevel/6 bevel/4 spyder/6 spyder/8 spyder seems to me to be a case of different people and manufacurers using different terms for the same product, what is 4 gear to HPI is 6 spyder to UE etc etc

Latest posts

Members online

Back