What's inside a $100 servo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

My brand new ACE 1015 failed today at the end of my 2nd tank of fuel. Suddenly went locked full left and started twitching. It will still turn right, but doesn't center anymore...screwed something internally.

Thing is I didn't crash or tweak the servo for it to be trashed already.

So it seems like an electrical problem with no physical damage (good I can repair that). I have already sourced the parts and ordered them. We shall see which component in there failed. Here's what the insides look like...

Heatsink body, position pot, and motor (these check OK).
DSCF7125.jpg

Circuit board with transistor pack IC's (these check OK and will be replaced anyway).
DSCF7127.jpg

Other side of circuit board with digital controller IC (can't verify but will be changed as well).
DSCF7128.jpg

This servo has officially been repaired. I purchased (4) of the TPC8406 IC's and replaced them before going any further...servo works again!! One of these IC's must have blown out causing the problem. Sweet.

what was the total cost for the repair?
i have concidered the more costly servos but have not heard to much about them. anybody have some input?
are they really worth the extra cash

Based on googling the p/n provided, I came up with under $10 in parts and probably right around an hour labour?

what was the total cost for the repair?
i have concidered the more costly servos but have not heard to much about them. anybody have some input?
are they really worth the extra cash

Yes they are worth the money...it's electronics and sometimes even the high-quality stuff fails. What I had here was just a transistor internally that failed. I never would have fixed this not knowing what I know. hehe

Total cost for repair was $0 since I got the parts through work and did the repair myself.

Regular person can get these parts for $1.07 each at Digi-Key.

Members online

No members online now.
Back