What Tire and Wheels should I get

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrtBikDave

I've stripped out the hubs of two sets of wheels, What would be the best brand of wheels to prevent this happening again? I mainly use my savage for racing at the local track and terrorizing the neighborhood cats that congregate in front of my house.

I've stripped out the hubs of two sets of wheels, What would be the best brand of wheels to prevent this happening again? I mainly use my savage for racing at the local track and terrorizing the neighborhood cats that congregate in front of my house.

what size are you running 14mm or 17mm?

IF you are running 14mm hexes I would start off by upgrading to the 17mm hexes. I have had my fair share of stripped 14mm hexes also and then went to the 17mm hexes and I have also ran the 23mm hexes. 14mm is a:nono:

They are the 14mm Ones. If I'm replacing them do I go 17mm or 23mm. What are the pros and cons of each

17mm is more universal, lots of rims are 17, not as many 23mm hexes. 23mm is bigger but I find 17mm to be just as good, I ran the 23mm hexes from Pro-line and they looked good but I found I had to use locktite on the nut and it was just a big pain....also they started to wear down after time.

If I convert To 17mm do I need (or should I ) change the axles to the newer Universal joint style.... Remember I am working with an Old school 21bb Savage with a K4.6 h.o engine and a three speed transmission. I prefer racing, bashing, and jumping my savage to rock climbing

You can go between the two if you wish. I have both. I also find you need to check you nuts. But they stay tight for 2ish tanks then need a twist. No failures on them yet. On the 17's I have had no issues too. But also need to keep them tight. Stay away from RPM rims. That's my only rim I have shattered for no reason. Offsets are the bomb. You must try them for your race truck Dave. Thats all I can say so take it for what its worth.

Side note.. How ya been? Long time no see! :resp:

Once converted is there one type of wheel that is better than another?

Just don't go aluminum. Bead locks are nice, no gluing, but many manufacturers sell pre-glued tires now.

I have never striped a 17mm and as mentioned above, you have many more choices with 17 over 23.

I have the same rims as above but with big joe tires and they are great all around bashing tire,the losi zombie max tires are good dirt tires,i also run stock savy tires with nub style tires and like them it really is a win loose thing some tires u will like and some u will hate.U have to go too 17mm or 23mm they hold up better then 14's do.

Latest posts

Members online

Back