What pipes are you running with an LRP30 or LRP32?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

HPISF Supporter
Just curious what other guys are running with these engines. The Losi LST2 pipe works really well with my LRP28's, but my LRP 30 seems a tad fussy to get tuned right. I run it fairly rich to keep temps down, but I get an off WOT high idle I can't seem to tune out. I've gotten it where it's drive-able, but still likes to rev a bit when I let off the throttle while in the air off a jump. Kind of wondering if maybe a different pipe would help the tuning a bit.

I get decent WOT and tons of low end torque, but I know it's a bit too rich on both the HSN and LSN as I was trying to get the off throttle high idle down a bit. If I blip the throttle, the idle drops to normal almost immediately.

On my revo with an LRP28 in it, it runs stable all day long. If I run a WOT pass for 50 yards and let off the gas, the engine drops down to a perfect idle immediately. And it can sit and idle a very long time without dieing. It will load up a bit if I let it sit for more than a minute or so, but not so much that it stalls when I give it gas to go.

The LRP30 will stall if I let it sit and idle much longer than 30 seconds due to it being so rich. If I lean out the LSN and drop the idle a bit, then the off throttle high idle is really bad. But it will sit and idle a lot longer without stalling.

Just makes me think something isn't quite right.

Just curious what other guys are running with these engines. The Losi LST2 pipe works really well with my LRP28's, but my LRP 30 seems a tad fussy to get tuned right. I run it fairly rich to keep temps down, but I get an off WOT high idle I can't seem to tune out. I've gotten it where it's drive-able, but still likes to rev a bit when I let off the throttle while in the air off a jump. Kind of wondering if maybe a different pipe would help the tuning a bit.

I get decent WOT and tons of low end torque, but I know it's a bit too rich on both the HSN and LSN as I was trying to get the off throttle high idle down a bit. If I blip the throttle, the idle drops to normal almost immediately.

On my revo with an LRP28 in it, it runs stable all day long. If I run a WOT pass for 50 yards and let off the gas, the engine drops down to a perfect idle immediately. And it can sit and idle a very long time without dieing. It will load up a bit if I let it sit for more than a minute or so, but not so much that it stalls when I give it gas to go.

The LRP30 will stall if I let it sit and idle much longer than 30 seconds due to it being so rich. If I lean out the LSN and drop the idle a bit, then the off throttle high idle is really bad. But it will sit and idle a lot longer without stalling.

Just makes me think something isn't quite right.
Sounds a lot like my lrp .30. I've only used the aluminum stock and now the tsais exhaust; no change. I was able to richen the HSN enough to eliminate hanging idle and LSN set for decent response and about 30 second idle but the window is tiny and the idle has to be set higher than on any other (not worn out) engine I've ever had to make it work.

I know you asked about the .30 and the .32, but the .28 is close enough. ;) I use a Buku. Higher price, but really adjustable. If you can't get what you want, tuning wise, out of that pipe...then you're doing it wrong. :D

https://www.bukupower.com/BigBlock.aspx

Too bad they are not still in production. That has been on the site for months...
A friend of mine has one but doesn't want to sell it to me..

Sounds a lot like my lrp .30. I've only used the aluminum stock and now the tsais exhaust; no change. I was able to richen the HSN enough to eliminate hanging idle and LSN set for decent response and about 30 second idle but the window is tiny and the idle has to be set higher than on any other (not worn out) engine I've ever had to make it work.

The HPI polished pipe has much more flow than the pipe I'm running. My LRP28's didn't care for that pipe, but they liked the one I'm running now. I was thinking of switching to one of those pipes since I have one or two in a drawer. Guess I won't. :)

I probably only have 1 - 1.5 gallons through the .30. Will just dedicate more time to finely adjusting the tune to see where I can see changes. The thing has so much torque that it's hard to tell when it's not running well. Even blubbery rich, it stands the savage up in the air off the line and half the time when it shifts into second. So the only two things I have are idle time and high idle when off throttle.

I just got a 19T bell in the mail. Will put that in to have 19/47 vs 18/47. Maybe a little taller gearing will make it easier to tell where the tune is at.

The HPI polished pipe has much more flow than the pipe I'm running. My LRP28's didn't care for that pipe, but they liked the one I'm running now. I was thinking of switching to one of those pipes since I have one or two in a drawer. Guess I won't. :)

I probably only have 1 - 1.5 gallons through the .30. Will just dedicate more time to finely adjusting the tune to see where I can see changes. The thing has so much torque that it's hard to tell when it's not running well. Even blubbery rich, it stands the savage up in the air off the line and half the time when it shifts into second. So the only two things I have are idle time and high idle when off throttle.

I just got a 19T bell in the mail. Will put that in to have 19/47 vs 18/47. Maybe a little taller gearing will make it easier to tell where the tune is at.
I wouldn't think the pipe is causing issues then. Definitely wide open spaces is best for me with this thing so it's easier to compare settings. Today I took it to a soccer field. Almost 3 gallons thru mine now and with the cooler/denser air lately it no longer overheats and is more stable. Yours seems to me that it almost has to be a bit to lean on top still and probably a bit rich on the bottom. Mine gets across a soccer field pretty fast with 17/47. 19/47 is gonna be scooting!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back