what needle settings will get a savage 4.6 turned on the fastest?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelicanprentice

i have a savage x 4.6 bb and i haven't run it for the past 2 years. i reset the needle settings back to flush but wondering what needle setting would get it to turn on the quickest? i assume more lean? any tips?

thx

Lean (clockwise) the hsn for better performance. Do it in quarter turns to see how much faster it gets and listen to sound, as the sound of a too lean engine is different. Too lean and it will start to over heat and may cut out, also too lean reduce engine life.

Lean (clockwise) the hsn for better performance. Do it in quarter turns to see how much faster it gets and listen to sound, as the sound of a too lean engine is different. Too lean and it will start to over heat and may cut out, also too lean reduce engine life.
thx for the reply! so if i lean it out a bit it will also start up faster? like i haven't driven it for a while so i have to reset the tune

thx for the reply! so if i lean it out a bit it will also start up faster? like i haven't driven it for a while so i have to reset the tune
In theory yes. BUT be warned as you lean out for easier starting which ultimately is more power, you also can starve the engine of needed fuel and oil . Tune for peak rpm's then back the needle out (richen) 1/16 of a turn for "safe" tune. You need to make a compromise of power and engine relibility. A very wise man told me two things many years ago : 1) A 2 stroke engine will run at it best right before it seizes up. 2) it's better and cheaper to foul a glow plug from over rich than to melt a piston from over lean.

Latest posts

Members online

Back