What is wrong with my MT2????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage

Okay I have an HPI Nitro MT2. It's sick. But the engine (.15 T I think...) sucks. Like it can't be hot WHAT SO EVER or else it won't start. Also if it's even a little hot while I'm using the truck and I stop, like let off the gas, it will shut off. Unless the engine is like room temperature I can't start the truck. My friend has a MT with a custom .16 engine and he starts all the time. The engine can be on fire and it will still start right up. I don't get it this is really annoying 'cause I have to wait up to 20 minutes between use. Any help?

- stock .15 T (?) engine
- roto start
- MT2

My friend:

- custom .16 FE engine
- pull start
- MT

Please know what's wrong here lol :confused:

Is the carb opening correct? Even when full brakes are applied? What kid of temps is your motor running at? Those would be the first things I would look at....

Okay. Well I'm not sure how to check the carb. Do I give it gas without the air filter on and look at it? (Sorry I'm not that good) and what do you mean when the brakes are on? Like does it shut off if I'm holding the brakes? If that's what you mean I'm not sure, but I could check. Then I wouldn't know the temps either but sometimes it's like if you touch it for a split second it will hurt really bad. I know it can't start then but I mean it doesn't even start if the engine is the slightest bit warm.

kill your motor.....pull the air filter off and using your transmitter, apply the brakes, I believe there should be AT LEAST a 1mm opening when the brakes are applied.

Okay thanks I'll try that.

Also I thought (but I think I'm 100% wrong) it was the roto start. I don't know, I had a feeling it was meant to not work when the motor was hot. And the pull start is manual so you can MAKE it work. But I'm sure that's wrong. I'm gonna try what you said. Maybe I'll take a picture cause I wouldn't know what 1mm is, it's so small. Thanks

Well forget the picture, it's so small you can't even see it on the camera. I does look pretty small like 1mm. I don't know. Maybe my motor is just retarded. I think I'm gonna ask the guys at the hobby shop too.

You don't have ANY type of guages.. i have guages for doing valves on a real car ..use them

also, the roto-start won't affect the truck while it's running, unless your oneway bearing locked up....then, the truck would never turn over.

ok savage..when you adjust valves on a car you have guages that tell you the gap. the come in a pack like a tool with about 50 different sizes..or do what chunky said

I just tried that. It didn't fit in there. So you think that has something to do with my motor not starting when it's not 100% cool and/or my truck shutting down when I'm not giving it gas?

it's your idle setting if you can keep it running while standing still.....unless your motor is just shot....

Yeah, I changed the idle setting. It works fine now staying still thanks. Now the only annoying problem is the engine still needs to be room temperture for it to start. Other wise I could be pusing the roto start for days and it will never go up.

ohh and i forgot...to say ..put that MT2 AWAY its a cursed car.. and i don't know how long you have it but its nothing more than trouble ...as soon as you really start driving that thing.. parts are gonna break.. i'm saying to you now because it not to late to buy a savvy..
a friend af my and i both had a nitro mt and my friend has the 18ss version of the MT2...we both have nothing but trouble with those things.. if we could drive one afternoon without fixing.. that would be a wonder!!

YUP! It's a great truck when it works but I have had a bunch of problems (PM I sent you) I want a Savage so bad! Screws left and right fall of my truck. Today the glow plug fell out, wtf?! It wasn't running right yesterday. A screw for the steering has fallen off. And when I first got it the tires used to come off. But I still love it and I have a lot of fun with it. The day I got I was supposed to get a Savage but I didn't have enough and I really wanted the MT2 too so I just got that. But now I want a Savage bad!

threadlock all your screws using the blue threadlocker, check for air leaks(replace all the fuel tubing), and try using a hotter glow plug if you're having starting issues. You never did answer though as to what your temps are...If you're overheating, then you'll have a hard time starting it.

I really have zero insight about the inner workings of our .15 engines. However, I can say that my MT was sitting for 5 years and before I mothballed it, the engine was running terribly. I built it and never tuned it. (Hey, I wanted to run it ASAP). Of course, I never went back to tune it since I was having a blast.

Fast forward 5 years. The engine was severly gummed up and a buddy of mine works on cars. He offered to tear everything down and rebuild it. Today, I got the truck back and it runs better than ever. It even idles w/o shutting off, or rolling. Only thing I can think is that your engine might need to be tuned.

how old is the motor? either buy a way better head or buy a new motor. and like the other guy said locktight everything. that should be your best friend. try running richer and check it out. also open the carb setting. if all else fails :mchgun: it

join the club on the retarded engine front. my mt2 cuts out when it gets even remotely hot and then point blank refuses to start for like 20 minutes. i converted my t-15 to a pullstart which makes starting it hot even worse. but i don't like lugging round the rotostart

Cutting out when it gets even remotely hot is your piston and sleave, worn out.

join the club on the retarded engine front. my mt2 cuts out when it gets even remotely hot and then point blank refuses to start for like 20 minutes. i converted my t-15 to a pullstart which makes starting it hot even worse. but i don't like lugging round the rotostart
Yeah man. That is the same exact thing that happens to me. I'm in the club. It is so annoying, as well as waiting 20 minutes it still won't start unless it's like -100 degrees lol. I does not like to be hot!

i owned the same engine,its junk i had the truck for mybe two months and the engine dint want to start. i know it was set up right i had a coulpe of my nitro junky friends check it out.i changed to a os.15 cv it ran like crazy super fast super smooth.I'm now in the prosses of putting the stock motor from the savage.its a 21. 8 port some thing. the os.15 cv engine is like 99.00 bucks and a direct fit i recomend it.

Latest posts

Members online

Back