What engine to get 5.9 or or the os .30

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyespeeder

Hi everyone I am new to this fourm I just got a savage XL

I need a new motor because my sh .28 is not pulling this thing

So i have two choices

hpi 5.9 for 120 buxs used barly brokin in

or

os engines .30 for 150 with like half a gallon

I know the hpi has more hp and more rpm
but the os is more dependable...

Is the 5.9 really a 3.75 hp or is bull

Welcome to the hpisf forum hyespeeder. You've came to the best site for any question or problem you may have with your rc.

Welcome to the forum bro, glad you found us (especially before you spent money on a k5.9.

before you buy a new mill, we should first find out why your sh .28 is not pulling the XL caz, honestly, it should be mopping the floor with a k5.9.

you got this truck used i assume? any pics?

Also, here are a few tips/questions to save you some headache & $$:

1. Please!!! don't buy a used mill/motor. you really don't know the condition or how the last owner treated it or his experience level.

2. For a few dollars more, you can get a brand new mill which will ultimately give you longer life and less headache/hassle.

3. Which country do you live? Members here can help you find the best mill/price.

ya stay clear of the 5.9 if your wanting power as all the hype about the 5.9 has fallen short,most were dissapointed!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm voting for the OS over the 5.9 if that's all your options. Otherwise spend a little more and get the LRP or better yet the Picco. If you can spend more the ERCM Modded Piccos are plain killer.

WOW This forum is amazing I cant belive so many members posted so fast....

I don't know why but when i first registed i was able to make this post but the admins did not let me respond until my account was fully appoved.

Wow so everyone hates that hpi 5.9... I though it would be a good motor 3.75 hp 40krpm ....

The os 30 is alot lower rpm and only 3hp...... I am leaning more towards the os because of the quality....

The motor i have is sh .28 its the that comes with the xtm xlb buggy

http://cgi.ebay.com/SH-RC-nitro-Eng...Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5638643469

It was really driving me crazy it would not hold a tune and it would overheat and it did not have any power... one lap it would the other lap nothing the car didnt shift out of first...

I had a 13Cb and 47sg 15% nitro
Then i said ok let me try this
17cb 52sg 30% nitro same problems...I was really upset so i was trying to blow the motor i leaned it out alot trying to blow it but i went threw 3 plugs. I was sick and tired of the mill already...

After reading a few threads about sealing the motor I felt like i stll had a chance.... So i finshed sealing the motor... Waiting for some shock shafts to arrive so i can see how well the motor runs now.... if its bad then its time for the OS

Thanks everyone for reading my long crappy post lol

The 5.9 may be rated higher, but it doesn't do what they say. I have ran them, they don't rev well at all, thats why the XL has the 3 speed. And even with the 3 speed in the XL a stock X with a 2 speed will do about the same speed.

No mfgr #'s are close to the truth don't even read them. The 5.9 is a turd. what are you looking for it to do ? a good .28 will mop the flor with any mill over .30 its just how they work... with glow motors displacement is not the answer.

Yea ... i just want a good all around motor i want wheelies and i want speed

so i guess the os 30 is a good deal my friends got one for 150

ya $150 isnt bad for the OS but I'm still liking the 28 engines myself, a good 28 will smoke a 30 in take off as a rule....... and if i haven't said it already WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!

for 170 you can buy a mill brand new that will smoke that OS .. Is it used ? If new in the box Id get it but used mills are not worth dirt ..

Thank you everyone I am happy to be on this forum.....

The os 30 is used like half a gallon as he says but you never know

he said 150 for the motor with integy motor mount and flywheel and clutch

I can probably bring it down to 130ish..... A new pison and sleve is 60buxs if i had to rebuild it.

Well after sealing my sh .28 and putting a 3 shoe clutch it seems to be alot better its holding a tune .... ill wait until this thing goes out....

Members online

Back