What do you think of the Futaba 3PM 2.4 GHz?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Form

I am currently trying to see if I will buy the SS or RTR version of the Savage, and I would like to know what you guys think of the 3PM 2.4 GHz radio from Futaba (which I would most probably get with the SS kit). I've browsed the existing posts a bit and this radio seems to be quite popular, but there are some details I didn't find anywhere and would like to know:

1- How do you feel about the build quality of the transmitter?
2- What range can I expect from this radio?
3- How does the failsafe behave? (replaces external failsafe? voltage/range?)
4- Is it necessary to check for frequency overlaps with other nearby racers/bashers, or the radio automatically gets an empty channel? (or something similar... how does it work??)

On a final note, what do you like and hate most about this radio?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've not used one, so can't really comment on build quality, but:

3-I believe the Futaba's failsafe (built into the reciever, replaces external failsafe) is both signal loss and low voltage, some built-in failsafes' are signal loss only...

4-THe beauty of 2.4 is that it requires no crystals, and it will serch however many channels there are (30 seems to ring a bell??) and use one that is not occupied. There is no glitching from metal-to-metal contact (binding linkages ect) on the truck and it's quick, In the region of 3-5ms delay...I've heard of racers being able to tell the difference and running fm cos it's quicker but I think it's in their head!

Hopefully some others will chime in who actually has the radio, lol!

All The Best.

I am currently trying to see if I will buy the SS or RTR version of the Savage, and I would like to know what you guys think of the 3PM 2.4 GHz radio from Futaba (which I would most probably get with the SS kit). I've browsed the existing posts a bit and this radio seems to be quite popular, but there are some details I didn't find anywhere and would like to know:

1- How do you feel about the build quality of the transmitter?
2- What range can I expect from this radio?
3- How does the failsafe behave? (replaces external failsafe? voltage/range?)
4- Is it necessary to check for frequency overlaps with other nearby racers/bashers, or the radio automatically gets an empty channel? (or something similar... how does it work??)

On a final note, what do you like and hate most about this radio?

1: top qaulity, ive dropped my 3pm a few times never hand any issues with it..

2: It has execellent range, the farthest ive used mine is 200 yards..

3: Failsafe will apply the brakes if the RX loses contact with the TX, the voltage in your RX battery pack becomes to low...

4: No crystals like am/fm, its a 2.4ghz system it each transmitter and reciever has a unique number kinda like an ip address i guess, but they bind together and change freq constantly... thats what i understand of it anyway...

+1, 3pm fasst is top quality all the way around, has more features then you will ever need to bash.

they claim 2000 feet or 667 yards which a at least 3 times as far as you'd prob ever send your savage out.

Man I got 2 of these and love both of them. My twin Bro runs 2 of them as well.

Questions.
1. The build quality is great, I have seen no flaws or defects in any of them.

2. I run my truck clear to the end of the block with no problem. I'm sure it would go a lot further with no problem but it's hard to tell which direction your going at that distance. My block is about 125 yards.

3. The fail safe works great, however I can't think of a time where I needed it. I do religiously set it as well. It does need to be set each and every time, but is very simple. push trigger to the place you want and hit the button. I believe it does both.

4. Like Sunk said. They switch channels so there is no need to check others freq's. Also like he mentioned you bind the radio with the rx so nothing else can do anything with it.

You will be more than happy with the FASST system. So go get it.

Man I got 2 of these and love both of them.
3. The fail safe works great, however I can't think of a time where I needed it. I do religiously set it as well. It does need to be set each and every time, but is very simple. push trigger to the place you want and hit the button. I believe it does both.

When you say it needs to be set every time, from what I understood this is only if you use analog servos, right? I plan to purchase some digital Hitec servos, will the 3PM's failsafe stay set with those?

Man I got 2 of these and love both of them. My twin Bro runs 2 of them as well.

Questions.

You will be more than happy with the FASST system. So go get it.
yep that don't sound right to me..

[hs] darkshine;103221 said:
I've not used one, so can't really comment on build quality, but:

There is no glitching from metal-to-metal contact (binding linkages ect) on the truck and it's quick, In the region of 3-5ms delay...I've heard of racers being able to tell the difference and running fm cos it's quicker but I think it's in their head!

All The Best.

Are you sure 3-5 ms DSM2 is 5.5MS and the fastest out

+1 on the 3PM, I think everyone covered it just right.

If you have digital servos, you don't have to set it every time.
Atleast I don't.

You will love your savage and the radio. I know I do.

Are you sure 3-5 ms DSM2 is 5.5MS and the fastest out

While we're talking about delay, can someone tell me if the wheel if there is any perceptible "lag" when turning the wheels using a servo such as the Hitec HS-5645MG with the 3PM? i.e: does turning the wheel on the transmitter directly relate to wheel movement or is there some kind of delay between the two?

Also, I heard someone say in another thread that a 160 oz./in. servo was "able to turn the wheels while stationary on the ground". Does this mean a < 160 oz./in. servo is not able to do so? The HS-5645MG is 167 oz./in. if I remember well, so this is quite close...

[hs] darkshine;103342 said:
No mate, which is why I said in the region of, I thought the newer dsm2 was closer to 3 ms. But yo are correct with 5.5 my bad.

Sweet ok... I thought I bought DSM2 for nothing lol :resp:

While we're talking about delay, can someone tell me if the wheel if there is any perceptible "lag" when turning the wheels using a servo such as the Hitec HS-5645MG with the 3PM? i.e: does turning the wheel on the transmitter directly relate to wheel movement or is there some kind of delay between the two?

Also, I heard someone say in another thread that a 160 oz./in. servo was "able to turn the wheels while stationary on the ground". Does this mean a < 160 oz./in. servo is not able to do so? The HS-5645MG is 167 oz./in. if I remember well, so this is quite close...

That rate is the delay/refresh yes. on a savage and it being perceivable with any DSM system Id say no. On a carpet racer yes. Way out at 100 yards you can tell the difference but most never get this far away. I only know caz I have played on the football field next to my house a few times. There is a big difference between my DSM and DSM2 systems at this range. As fart as servos I run 200 oz .10 servos and I can turn lock to lock on carpet with speed. Also over the $100 mark.. Lesser servos will not on carpet. Some have issues on vinyl flooring. When on the move its not much of a issue but racing and ruts in the track could affect you. for play/bash who cares sort of speak. My throttle brake is also 175oz X .07. balzing fast and strong. Its all in what you want to spend. you have to draw that line somewhere. My system on 1 truck TX and 2 servos is over the price of a full savage XL...

Went to my LHS today to look at the 3PM 2.4 GHz, seemed to have a great build quality indeed. It seemed quite light but with batteries should have a nice weight. They usually recommend this radio in that LHS.

I also looked at a Spektrum radio (don't remember the exact model) but it seemed to have a poorer build quality and IMHO it looks uuuugly. :lmao:

So I think I will go get the 3PM for my future Savage X!

Thanks a lot everyone! If anyone else has other opinions/details about this radio, I would love to hear them.

:resp:

Yes you will very happy with the 3PM 2.4 and will never look back. I as well am not a fan of the Specky stuff all thought they do have some nice higher end stuff but I will never need to go that expensive.

Some things I forgot to ask/check about the 3PM:

1- Does it have a loop for attaching a lanyard? It would be a very nice way to carry it around!
2- How long do the batteries last?

There is no loop That I can remember on them, but your correct it would be a nice feature.

The battery's last a long time. You will get lots of hours of run time. They are much better on battery's than the AM/FM radios. I have purchased LiPo's for mine just waiting for them to come in. I mainly purchased them to be rechargeable also so they are lighter and have a little loner run time and to run full power till dead not that it really matters

Do you currently have one to verify? There is a small opening on the back of it that I saw in pictures on the web, but I can't seem to find any pictures with the correct angle so I can check what that is.

If there's nothing, do you think it would be a good idea to mod it to add a loop? I wonder if that would void the warranty...

UPDATE:
I purchased the 3PM yesterday. It really has a great feel and IMHO enough options to please anybody but the most hardcore racers. Note that the hole on the back of the transmitter is actually a plug for connecting a charger if you choose to use a NiCd battery pack with it.

See my other post for a review of the 3PM:
https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=105233#post105233

Members online

No members online now.
Back