what do you think of a metal spur gear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basherthedude

what does everyone think of a hardened steel spur gear? i have just brought one and within two days my clutch bell is already starting to wear. But I'm going to wait till the clutch bell completely goes and then buy a hardened steel clutch bell. Whats the best clutch bell to buy for good acceleration and good top speed with a 49T spur? Cheers

They could help ( I don't run one tho) but if u r a racer there good to have I think but for a basher like me thats a cheep thing to give out when something isn't right ya know!!!!! I would go w/ a 17 thooth cb thats just me tho... in othere people's words there a mask to cover up a problem !!!!! I aggree

it states on most sites that when you buy the steel spur gear to run a hardened CB. i run both and have not had any problems

I run a Kippster 49th steel spur for the last 4 yrs and she still works great. Never had another issue w/ spurs. Like everyone says you need a harden CB. Make dam sure your combo is aligned correct.

When you are running a steel spur you need to remember that you are remove a "give point" instead of the spur going it's most likely going to be the engine our the tranny. I snapped my crankshaft, my engine slid over and made my gear mesh wayyyy too tight. Eventually the spur/cb lock up and the sudden stop snapped the crankshaft. Turned out the engine plate was cracked but I didn't know because the steel spur is so tough it masked the problem. All I'm saying is use a plastic spur and set the mesh right, if your not sure how ask questions, thats what where here for. If you must run a steel spur then you need to also know that something else will break instead of the spur, and it will most likely cost more than a couple buck to replace.

I always believed that you need that plastic spur as a weak link, and still do. The thing I have the toughest time with is that I get gallon after gallon out of a plastic spur. The K 4.6 SS kit I bought when they first came out still has it's factory spur, and it has been beaten like a red-headed stepchild for at least 4 gallons. If you mesh it correctly, and nothing is bent in your chassis assembly, you don't need a steel spur anyway. We run 40 series mashers and moabs on our current savage project, with an Axial .28 and a 3 speed, and the 47T spur shows no signs of wear at all.

The other thing that kills a spur is having your slipper too loose. Tighten it all the way down, then back out 1/4 turn. Hope this helps.

there does not have to be a week link if your slipper clutch is set correct.
i run a steel spur gear and a hardened robinson racing clutch bell no problems so far!
hope that helps
4x4

there does not have to be a week link if your slipper clutch is set correct.
i run a steel spur gear and a hardened robinson racing clutch bell no problems so far!
hope that helps
4x4

there does have to be a weal link so that when something has to brake you can control what that something is and make it a cheap part to replace. ie the spur gear.

better than breaking the engine cause it couldnt unload into the plastic spur

i run both..one savage has the steel RR spur abd CB combe for the last 2 years....no problems what so ever..Savage 2 has the plastic spur gear..also with no problems...so it is your own personal prefrence..but it is imortant to flow all Manufactors suggestions and both will give you a life time of fun.

"My point is, why spend money on something you don't need?" by Xjeepguy
Cause i want to....LMAO

As long as you have EVERYTHING set properly ALL the time a plastic SG is best IMO. If you strip alot of plastic spurs and you think going to a HD one will fix the problem you are wrong. It will just transfer the damage to the next weak link as people have already said. Your best bet if you have had trouble with melting SGs or missing teeth on them is to find out why and not try to cover the problem up. If your doing it for the heck of it, good luck and a CB wont be the last thing that SG eats.

^^ very true. If you are meshing your gears wrong, then drop in a steel spur, having the mesh too tight will kill the input bearing to your tranny.

Bottom line is: If youre killing spurs, you need to get help and find out what you are doing wrong. Meshing a savage isn't the easiest thing to do, you need to get a feel for it.

I have a ? on a few of my spur gears I have had 1 tooth that just broke off (happen awhile ago to a few spurs ) just wondering what caused it thats all ???

hey

aside from the mesh thing. Steel spur = more rotational weight. = less go i had a robinson on it now I'm back to plastic ;)

spur gears

i run robinson steel the only probs iv had is the shaft getting bent also about metal is that you can here how your spur is acting. hope this helps

Latest posts

Members online

Back